[A16][WIP] Plastics - V.1.1 out!

Started by Spdskatr, January 04, 2017, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spdskatr

Hey! I'm just working on a mod about the production of various plastics and I feel it isn't fleshed out enough. So I'm going to publish my work in progress, and then continue working on it as well as incorporating as many of you guys' suggestions into this as possible.

SS Plastics - Started Jan 4
======================
V.1.0
-Make plastics from chemfuel, and then further refine them into different types each with their strengths and weaknesses...
-Plastics:Raw material to make other types of plastic.
-HDPE: Tough and heavy duty. A bit stronger than steel due to its mass.
-Polystyrene: Extremely soft but very easy to make. Can be used for partitions, inner walls etc.
-Packaged survival meals: Make packaged survival meals from polystyrene, a bit of HDPE and a fine meal.
-Plastic sterile tiles: Faster to build but less cleanliness than normal sterile tiles.
-Plastic temporary flooring: Very cheap to build, replacement for concrete. (Change?)
-Synthread production and recycling: Make and recycle synthread from plastics.

V.1.1
-Kevlar, kevlar armor (and bullet/grenade-proof walls)
-Polystyrene padded body armor
-Plastic plants
-Polystyrene-padded walls that cost a bit less resources
-Transport pods that use plastic

V.1.2 (Under development)
-Spacer research
-PXL, used to make plasteel and to speed up refining
-Plasteel production from PXL and steel
-A new resource that will disintegrate after 12 hours, very expensive to make.
+Much more

On the to-do list:
-Ultra tech synthetic items

-Make a flashy banner

Dropbox download - V.1.0
Dropbox download - V.1.1

Feel free to post more ideas in the comments!
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Gedos

Quote from: Spdskatr on January 04, 2017, 09:31:50 PM
Hey! I'm just working on a mod about the production of various plastics and I feel it isn't fleshed out enough. So I'm going to publish my work in progress, and then continue working on it as well as incorporating as many of you guys' suggestions into this as possible.

My plans:
-Make plastics from chemfuel, and then further refine them into different types each with their strengths and weaknesses...
-Plastics:Raw material to make other types of plastic.
-HDPE: Tough and heavy duty. A bit stronger than steel due to its mass.
-Polystyrene: Extremely soft but very easy to make. Can be used for partitions, inner walls etc.
-Packaged survival meals: Make packaged survival meals from polystyrene, a bit of HDPE and a fine meal.
-Plastic sterile tiles: Faster to build but less cleanliness than normal sterile tiles.
-Plastic temporary flooring: Very cheap to build, replacement for concrete. (Change?)
-Synthread production and recycling: Make and recycle synthread from plastics.

Dropbox download

Feel free to post more ideas in the comments!

Excellent ideas! I agree that plastic has been one of those modern materials that has been missing from RimWorld and refining it from chemfuel seems like a scientifically accurate way to produce it. Maybe add body armor made from plastic which would offer good protection from blunt damage? Might make melee combat a bit more viable.

koni

Actually I had nearly the same idea, so I like your work. Maybe you could use Boorats and Boomalopes to produce some chemicals as an ingredient for plastics? But the vanilla concrete flooring shouldn't be changed. Good work

Darque

How about a function to create plasteel using plastic and steel?
Another idea is to make kevlar, for use in armors and clothing.

Spdskatr

Quote from: koni on January 05, 2017, 08:25:11 AM
Actually I had nearly the same idea, so I like your work. Maybe you could use Boorats and Boomalopes to produce some chemicals as an ingredient for plastics? But the vanilla concrete flooring shouldn't be changed. Good work
I have experimented with that before, but my opinion was that boomrats and boomalopes would be too underpowered as a source of plastic, and too annoying as an essential ingredient in plastic. I'm open to ideas about how to incorporate them though!
Quote from: Darque on January 05, 2017, 11:41:12 AM
How about a function to create plasteel using plastic and steel?
Another idea is to make kevlar, for use in armors and clothing.
I think there is already a mod that does that on steam workshop :P Making Kevlar is also an excellent idea but I don't know how that would work on already existing recipes of Kevlar helmet and vest. I could make a bulletproof wall...
@Gedos, armor made out of shock-proof polystyrene is a great idea! It can block both melee and bullet attacks, and it also gives a better use for polystyrene.
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?