[A16] PathAvoid (v1.2) Nudge your colonist onto new paths!

Started by Vendan, January 06, 2017, 08:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vendan

PathAvoid

Description:
Path Avoid allows you to "nudge" the pathfinding system for your pawns, to make them prefer and avoid different areas. Use it to make your pawns follow pathways in your base, or avoid passing through a freezer to get to the other side! Avoidance won't prevent pawns from pathing, it'll just make them take an alternate path...

Author/Mod Team
Vendan

Download
https://andyleap.net/PathAvoid/PathAvoid.zip

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog

• v1.1: Fixing strong avoids marking doors as non-traversable
  • v1.2: Adding textures for the various path level designators

SteelRev

Does it effect jobs? Let's say you place avoidance zone over crops.  Will the still get harvested and planted? 

Vendan

Quote from: SteelRev on January 06, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Does it effect jobs? Let's say you place avoidance zone over crops.  Will the still get harvested and planted?

It just affects pathing.  They'll most likely choose a path that avoids as many of the crop tiles as possible, but they will still path to the crops.  And it does not affect priority of 1 job over another, so they won't harvest an avoided field last or anything.

Zhentar

I can't test right now, but designating doors as 'Strong' may affect job assignment and/or other reachability checks (if you test this, you should save and reload after designating the door to make sure the reachability cache gets flushed).

Performance will likely be significantly affected when pawns have to path into/through avoid areas, though if it's not happening frequently it probably won't be noticeable. Better Pathfinding handles it much more efficiently than the Vanilla pathfinder.

Rambus200

Would it possible to apply this to tamed animals, maybe an additional feature? So they don't eat your food or enter a certain building for example :). Instead of  highlighting all the area they 'are' allowed, which if you want them to roam the whole map except one building or area, is a pain in the butt. Or maybe i am missing something? Thanks

Zhentar

Rambus200

Vendan

Quote from: Zhentar on January 06, 2017, 01:17:26 PM
I can't test right now, but designating doors as 'Strong' may affect job assignment and/or other reachability checks (if you test this, you should save and reload after designating the door to make sure the reachability cache gets flushed).

Performance will likely be significantly affected when pawns have to path into/through avoid areas, though if it's not happening frequently it probably won't be noticeable. Better Pathfinding handles it much more efficiently than the Vanilla pathfinder.

Yes, it looks like an avoid value of 255 (which is current "Strong") can mark a door as non-traversable.  Relatively easy to fix, I've just pushed a tweak to both steam and the direct download.  It'll automatically adjust any existing "Strong" avoids as well.

SteelRev

Also,  I forgot to ask.  Is it compatable with better pathfinding?

Zhentar

Vendan

Update v1.2: Adding textures for the various path level designators

lost_RD

Dwarf Fortress player? :D

This is a mod on my list of to-make, I'm glad you got to it before me though! I can't wait to try it out.

Vendan

Yeah... Avid DF player trying to port some QoL stuff from DF over to here :)

sanya02

Can do so that the colonists did not go into the wrong room?