Stealth raids not a thing?

Started by Limdood, January 06, 2017, 11:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Decided I'd have some fun with a playthru.  Used prepare carefully to set up a team of 6 commandos with 4 muffalos whose sole purpose in the game was raiding enemy strongholds. 

attack the first pirate base and realize im not going to win a stand up fight. I wait for cover of night, raiders asleep, and walk over and break through a wall into their storeroom and load up some food and medical supplies, then head back to my little hut i made in the corner.

Unfortunately, when morning comes, the pirates all come running at me....but i can't leave because all enemies aren't dead.

Is it impossible to raid an enemy base and steal stuff and leave wthout killing everything?  If it IS possible, does anyone know what conditions prevent leaving?

Blastoderm

Thief! Protect the hoard from skulking filth!

dv

I thought you could reconstitute the caravan from the world map?

A Friend

It's possible but everyone needs to be at the edge of the map (Where the green zone is) to leave.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

kilgoar

I've gotten a handful of victories in spite the awful memory leaks. Stealth Raids are a thing.

A few tips for stealth raiding -

1. Generally not worth raiding tribes. The pemmicans are only okay in a pinch and tribes never load worthwhile equipment.
2. It's generally not worth waiting until the pirates fall asleep. They may randomly attack at any moment, and there are a few things that seem to increase the odds, including building & downing and killing them. Sometimes they may immediately attack. Quicker is always better - it minimizes risk & minimizes breaks. What keeps you from hitting the same pirate base infinitely is usually pawn moods & they regenerate while travelling, degenerate while raiding. Sometimes you can't help it.
3. You will never reform the caravan by clicking the 'reform caravan' button but rather by moving pawns to the green edge of the map area. They don't all need to go there at once. You can cheese the pirates sometimes by drawing them into a far corner and having pawns exit and re-enter from the overworld. This is useful in emergency rescue situations and especially if you have a fast walkin' go-juice addict. Once all your pawns leave, any changes you've made will be erased and upon re-entering it will be repopulated with a new pirates, similar loots, and some of the doors will change locations. Reloading a pirate base can get you 100s of luciferiums, more or less ending the game because you can easily supply a trip to the AI ship.
4. Some pirate bases are incredibly easy to gank, some are not. Some have very valuable loot, some don't. Stealth raiding is about weighing risks and sometimes I don't even bother if it's just a few simple meals & not-so-valuable drugs. Luciferium is the lightest and most valuable thing you'll come across, and it's almost all that matters to get you to the finish.
5. A warmish max dry planet with minimal tundra is easiest to get around. Snow will slow you down big time in the winter. Too hot and you will suffer heat stroke. Too cold without parkas and you will frostbite. Obvious stuff.
6. You don't need animals. They only get in the way. You don't need to carry more than enough supplies to get to your next raid or trade, and stockpiling luciferiums to trade for meals can take you very far indeed. Glitterworlds are okay to sell, same with other drugs (except beer and smokeleaf).
7. Stay near the edge and use the right eq. Obvious reasons are obvious. Personal shields, plasteel longswords & spears are just the best for breaking down doors and running away when you're being shot at. You can of course give it to yourself in a scenario editor but you can also get them easily by drawing melee pirates to the edge and killing them there. The closer to the edge the better.
7. Give up on building altogether. I used to carry a horseshoes pin but now when someone starts to break I just give them drugs. Addictions to go-juice, yayo, and luciferium are very good because they will self-administer on the road and this will increase their move speed both on the world map and in the stealth raid.
9. Not only are drugs the best loot, but they're the best way to prevent breaks & speed up your caravan a bit.

shameless ad of me stealth raiding vids
https://www.twitch.tv/kilgoarhq/videos/all

11. Get to know how the AI reacts & it'll be a lot easier and less risky. Melee guys will break off from the group and chase you whereas the gun-toters are pretty damn stupid and may walk right past your pawns at point blank range without blinking an eye. After a minute it seems they will congregate around one part of the base or another, sometimes to your benefit and sometimes not. You gotta read how hard it'll be to steal, and sometimes your opportunity window is very slim.
13. remember, most debuffs will wear off in about a half day and sometimes it's better to just send someone back to the caravan if they're about to break. that way they can rest & eat without piling on debuffs such as "slept on ground" or "ate without table"  and so on. Since it only really takes one pawn to stealth raid I find it's best to rotate them in and out to maximize the amount of raiding I can do on the same pirate base. Again, you're fighting against breaks & when they're all at the limit, it's time to move on. Hell or you can just sit there and let a few days go by and hit them again when the temporary debuffs wear off.
156. fine / lavish / survivals are the best damn way to insulate against breaks

There's a lot more to it, but you just gotta spend the time on it. I've been hitting it pretty hard since the day A16 came out

Wanderer_joins