Mods constantly "downloading" all of a sudden (Steam)

Started by Srekel, January 07, 2017, 02:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Quote from: Tynan on January 10, 2017, 12:18:21 PM
So wait, all of a sudden now everyone is having this problem together, all at once?

Did something change with Steam to make this start happening?

I play RimWorld almost every day.

When it happened the first time on that day, I immediately went on both reddit and ludeon forums and I saw some people started reporting this problem too.

I have not encountered this bug ever before, and it also seems like some people have just now started having this problem too. I guess the problem can't be just on our side, but maybe from Steam?

Tynan

That's my only guess.

The thing is, the game just reports exactly what the Steam API tells it. To fix this sort of thing I have to hide or post-process data from Steam, which seems kind of ridiculous because Steam shouldn't be giving wrong info in the first place.

Ugh I hate working with dodgy APIs.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BlackSmokeDMax

Other games have had this problem with Steam over the years as well. A quick google search a while back showed it for Skyrim, Gary's Mod, ARK and some others that I forget.

The workshop really is a pile. It's a convenient pile, but that is about it.

Hotslice

Certainly seems like a Steam bug. I was able to play RimWorld a couple days ago and everything was fine. Today I see the same bug as everyone else, all my mods are Downloading... I didn't change anything between then and now. I'm still subscribed to all the mods in the workshop.

twoski

i checked today and the problem is still happening. Worst bit is that i don't see any useful info in my logs or anything.

RickyMartini

I already settled with just never closing Steam for the moment... bug is still here.

Andy_Dandy

At least it works to install a mod manually (non-Steam) and put it into the mod folder for the Rimworld Steam-Version.

nccvoyager

Additionally, if you wish to play a Steam-only mod still, you can move it from the Workshop mods folder to the main RimWorld directory and the mod should then still work.
(Remember, if you do this, un-subscribe from the mod after you move it, otherwise you will have two copies of the mod. Bad things happen then.)

Azzarrel

Quote from: nccvoyager on January 11, 2017, 03:53:26 AM
Additionally, if you wish to play a Steam-only mod still, you can move it from the Workshop mods folder to the main RimWorld directory and the mod should then still work.
(Remember, if you do this, un-subscribe from the mod after you move it, otherwise you will have two copies of the mod. Bad things happen then.)

first: there will no bad things happen, as long as you only have one active, as the other (the steam version) should be deactivated by default once you had the downloading problem. Just don't activate both.

second: I wish steam wouldn't convert the mods into their ids, so that i can see which mod is which without looking into the about.xml of each folder :/

Srekel

@Tynan, just FYI. I'm a game dev myself so I spend a lot of time debugging stuff and I couldn't help myself trying to figure out what's going wrong. I'm pretty sure I left no stones unturned. I looked through every file and folder regarding workshop content in Steam, moved them, changed them, and finally did complete folder compares (using Beyond Compare) and here's the thing:

There's no difference in the data.  These are the files and folders I looked through and compared:
D:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
D:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\appmanifest_294100.acf
D:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\downloads
D:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
C:\Users\Srekel\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios

I made copies of them when it wasn't working, then did the re-install thing to get it working, and compared.

So it certainly seems like a Steam issue - or a Unity <--> Steam issue, depending on how your integration looks I guess.

Next time it happens to me I'm going to replace steam_api.dll with the latest one from the Steamworks site and see if that helps. I'm not sure which version you're using now but there have been some changes that could potentially affect this:

1.39: "...expand on Steam Inventory Service functionality."
1.34: "The Steamworks SDK has been updated to include new Workshop functionality in ISteamUGC."

ziame

I do not have this problem.

Did you guys go into steam offline?

i have 100% repro on bug i posted: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29516.0

Srekel

Nope, I don't have go into offline mode to get it, though it may coincide with me restarting Steam.

I do have the Beta client for Steam, which may have changed something? Certainly it makes me restart Steam more frequently.

twoski

i have never put steam in offline mode and i still have this issue, if that helps

i thought maybe it was a firewall issue but i never changed anything in my firewall settings so i doubt that it did anything

RickyMartini

Well it's quite clearly a Steam issue. Think of it like this, nobody ever had a problem like this and people started having this problem within 24 hours. So yeah, it's not our fault guys. ;)

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Skissor on January 14, 2017, 01:07:35 PM
Well it's quite clearly a Steam issue. Think of it like this, nobody ever had a problem like this and people started having this problem within 24 hours. So yeah, it's not our fault guys. ;)

It is almost certainly a Steam thing, it has been happening on and off with a small number of games since before Rimworld was even on Steam.