magnetically driven engines

Started by RickyMartini, December 25, 2016, 06:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

PSA from mod:
This topic was split from the US Elections Part 3 thread.  No puppies were harmed in the splitting of this thread.

Quotemagnetically driven engines

Dude, just come out of the closet and admit that you're intentionally trolling this forum.

mumblemumble

I've never seen a reason why its not a viable power source... magnets don't exactly run out of power. Why is it so hard to picture an engine driven by one?

more important, give an explanation why one done with a HARD ROCK magnet would not function?

The earths magnetic force has not yet run out, why would a hard magnet run out? Why would it be impossible to harness the force of the magnet? Its there, its strong... Surely with the correct engineering, it could be turned into a viable generator.

Please give an explanation why this is impossible
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

RickyMartini

Quote from: mumblemumble on December 25, 2016, 07:07:49 AM
Please give an explanation why this is impossible

Please give an explanation why this is possible.

mumblemumble

1 : magnets are often powered for a very, very, VERY long time. hard rock magnets lose 10% in 10 years (?), so they say, but if this is the case, I wonder how accurate this estimation is. This also depends on what material it is too, as higher quality magnets can be operable for dozens of decades. A refrigerator magnet will wear out before a stone magnet.

2 : magnets exert force on surfaces of steel and other materials. The force can be astronomical at times, to the point cat scans(?) can be fatal with metal objects, with them ripped out of the body. Larger, industrial magnets are labeled with hazard warnings, as having a pocket knife in your hand within to close a distance can have an amputation hazard, and your hand being pinched between steel and magnets will rip them off.

3 : Engineering exists to redirect, and funnel energy off of otherwise "static" energy sources. There are turbines,  and other machines which have been developed to take in energy from x force, and turn it into energy

4 : I've seen literally no element in the rules of physics which would make the combination of point 1-3 into a powerful, long lasting generator with 0 immanence costs (maybe an occasional oiling?) and very clean (unlike radiation powered reactors).

So, unless you would like to redirect me to something which explains why exactly a magnet driven motor could not exist, I see no reason why it is impossible to develop. The force exerted from a magnet, which is constant, and nearly limitless, unless you have evidence to say otherwise, could be engineered into a means to drive a turbine or other object rather easily.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

iame6162013

@mumblemumble, in case you aren't joking, I'll make you a reply.

If we assume that a magnetic field is a distortion to the gravitational field, then we can instantly classify your 'invention' as repugnant because it will be a perpetual energy device, and because they don't exist, yours won't either.

(Shh, physicists don't hate me for that statement)
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

mumblemumble

616, you are saying it won't work because it would be a prepetual energy device and "obviously" those don't exist...except this is an excuse.  Theres no reason I can see mechanically speaking, why it wouldn't

@ sadpickle : nice meem, but know, those are 2 equal forces applying to each other head on.

What I speak of is say, a turbine, with magnets on the blades, and another magnet at an angle to push it away. And in doing so, the next is driven into place, ect... I've seen people "explain" that this is fake, and battery driven, but they completely ignore the whole "mechanically, can it work" bit.

my question is, what element involved in magnetism or magnetic fields would make this mechanic impossible? I admit I am no magnet expert, but I also have seen devices with multiple arrangements that DONT do this (like a maglev device) work just fine, so I dont see how a small change to get a continuous cycle of motions would somehow stop being possible.

More or importantly, if it is, I'd like to understand why... Do multiple magnetic fields tangle / mess with each other, or something? What goes on to prevent it? or is it just not examined?

Anyways, this thread got derailed quick  :(

-----

iame6162013

"What goes on to prevent it?"
Well  the law of conservation of energy states:

"The total energy of an isolated system remains constant—it is said to be conserved over time. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another. For instance, chemical energy can be converted to kinetic energy in the explosion of a stick of dynamite."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy

If a device would be created that made magnetic field energy into mechanical energy, it'd get its energy from the magnets, these magnets also have a finite energy supply, thus they would 'run out' / lose their charge.

To fabricate magnets we consume energy, in your contraption we'd use that energy to supply power, I think you might be looking after a battery, they do the same thing, just way better.

Oh and the best way to prove something is to show it inaction.
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

mumblemumble

True, but if we look at how long hard magnets last, IE, 1% lost every decade IIRC, then the loss is minimal... ...besides that, pretty sure it doesn't take as much energy to CREATE a magnet, considering how very cheap they are. I mean, imagine how expensive a few magnets are, and how much energy you could get out with say, 500 years, and swapping them out at 50%. This would still be a damn good deal.

I'm no expert on how magnets are made, but I think its less energy than that.
Plus, since its that massive scale of time, its hard to test if this is indeed the case anyways.

-----

iame6162013

"IE, 1% lost every decade IIRC"
Can I get a source for that, because that would sound like it needs to be under no 'load'.

mumblemumble

Load has nothing to do with it, the magnetic field operates if theres something being held or not, as far as I'm aware. Anyways this has gotten obscenely offtopic.

Google search routinely says 1% per decade....sooo... Ill go with that.

-----

milon

The above was split from another thread (see OP for link).  All "off topic" posts are now on topic.  SCIENCE!!  :D

14m1337

magnetically driven engines are impossible, because magnetic mono-poles  a) don't exist, and b) would not change polarity on demand (which would be necessary).

Quick_Silver - The One And Lonely
My posts may sometimes be filled with (sarcastic) humor - it's up to you to find it out on your own.
Usually drunk on Mondays from 21:00 to 03:00 CEST.

mumblemumble

A) Pretty sure magnetic mono poles (magnets which either 100% pull, or push, on all sides) exist, but they ARE stupidly expensive.

B) Who said you would need polarity to change? Why? Whats wrong with having 1 pole of a magnet do the work, while the other end of the polarity fucks off in another direction?

-----

RickyMartini

Quote from: mumblemumble on January 08, 2017, 11:44:14 AM
Pretty sure magnetic mono poles exist

"There is no experimental evidence that magnetic monopoles exist."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole