Tutorial: Check if your translation is up to date and error free, for dummies

Started by Aiven, January 08, 2017, 10:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiven

Working on the Norwegian translation file lists, I gained some experience in checking file-lists and comparing files, with the tool posted on this forums. Because it was some hazzle to figure out how to do it, I will explain how, with an easy step to step guide and make it as simple and hands-on as I can. I'm no programmer myself so maybe someone has a more elegant solution, but this has worked well for me. Once it's set up, you can check if your own translation is up to date and error free, by just double-clicking a windows-shortcut.

1. Download this zipfile.* Unpack it.

2. Download the the original English text of RimWorld here to use it as a  standard language data template for translation. Unpack it.

3. For convenience you can rename the English folder from "RimWorld-English-master" to "English".

4. Download perl and install it.

5. Place the unpacked files from the first zip, the folder "English" and your own full translation folder in the same folder. I will use mine "Norwegian" as an example in this tutorial.

Your folder should now contain (at least) these elements:
- English (folder)
- Norwegian (folder)
- LICENCE
- README.md
- translate.pl
- translate.pl - Shortcut (example)

6. Now create a shortcut to translate.pl. Right-click it and go into Attributes (or the like). In the line target you want to add english (your language folder here). The whole line will then look something like this "D:\Dropbox\Mine dokumenter\oversettelse\translate.pl" english norwegian (as shown in the example shortcut provided in the folder).

7. Voila, now you can check your translation, just by pressing the shortcut. Enjoy!

*It contains the pearl script provided on these forums (can't remember where) that can compare two translations. One line has been added at the end, that  makes the window last on your screen, after the script has been run, until you press Enter.

It should look something like this. You can then go in and fix the things that are wrong.

nalthe

A place where Thrumbo come from:
RimWorld Polska
...and where they are going to:
Facebook fanpage

Haplo

Neros

Been hoping there was something that could help in going through the translations or finding the filenames of some of the assets, cause the English Master folder seems like it has some errors (or at least some of the code don't work for me).

But Aiven, I have tried using your steps and all the program does is run a bunch of code really quick and close down.

And Haplo, I can't find the translation tool under the Debug Action menu that you are refering to :/

nalthe

Did you turn on dev mode in options? Without it you won't find that tool.

If you are looking for tags, I think German translation has all of them, we have no problems with them too (Polish translation) - try looking into them.
RimWorld Polska
Facebook fanpage

Neros

Yea, dev mode is turned on.

And I looked at the german files and I can see they are missing some things compared to the English master file (which has received an update some days ago).

But I think I should take that discussion to its own thread so this one doesn't get derailed.

nalthe

So one more question associated with tool for translators builded into Rim - after you click "output translation report", you click `(grave accent on your keyboard, the one you use to insert tilde), right? Sorry if that sounds stupid or something, but I had a problem with an information about it - I didn't see it for the first time and was wondering why it's not working.
RimWorld Polska
Facebook fanpage

Neros

I can't click "output translation report" because it doesn't appear to me.

I do however get tons of other buttons to click on :P

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Haplo

I think the translation tool is only available in the main menu.
In game it has then the other buttons.