[A17] Rimworld Friends

Started by gajop, June 19, 2017, 10:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gajop

Announcing RimWorld Friends, mod that puts your real life friends in game.

This is a simple mod and utility script that parses your exported Facebook friend list and uses your friend names for ingame pawns. There's a relatively small chance that an ingame pawn will take the name of someone from your list. Gender will also match if it's properly extracted (the API seems pretty reliable as long as the name is written in Latin or Cyrillic characters).

This won't be distributed by other means, mostly because getting and parsing the Facebook friend list requires the most amount of effort, and if it were easy, there would be potential privacy concerns.

I made this because I have a hard time caring for random pawns, and I'm too lazy to make fictional or real world characters manually. Anyway, don't be too brutal :)

Details here: https://github.com/gajop/rimworld_friends
License: MIT
Largely based on CSVNameBank.

historic_os

Really nice idea, tho looking at the usage instructions it seems a bit on the heavy side for a casual user. both for execution and expecting them to install python(and libraries) and modifying the script.

may i suggest you look into Facebook Apps API and work a different approach: create an app the user can add to his facebook and have it generate the CSV file for him. the apps API gives you a simple way to fetch user's friends.
this will make your mod much more approachable changing the usage instructions to simply: 1. download mod, 2. add app X to facebook and download generated file, 3. copy file to mod folder.

gajop

From what I've read, the FB API isn't usable for this purpose as it doesn't let you export friends who aren't using the same app (https://developers.facebook.com/bugs/1502515636638396/). But maybe I'm missing something, not an expert there so wouldn't know.

I think this process could be made easier if there was a website where you could upload your "friends.htm" file and get the processed friend list CSV as a result, but it would hide the transparency of the process and make it necessary to keep a server running. An executable that includes python and the libs might be better, but far from perfect too.

I think I'll just claim it's open source and people are free to develop what they want with it :) I built it for myself and I'm content with it as it is - but feel free to contribute

DonVinzon

I registered just to say how awesome of an idea this is.

Sadly (and I think I'm not alone) the implementation is really hard even for a guy comfortable adding and removing mods manually.

I don't know if a easier solution could be made and I don't even know if it would be much if a hassle, but it would make a great mod indeed.

Anyway, thanks for this beautiful idea.