[B19] A Dog Said... Animal Surgery

Started by witchyspoon, January 08, 2017, 09:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

matheryn,
welcome at the modded gameplay of Rimworld ! :-)
You notice self, most mod are more or less like cheating. These mod add stuff that give your pawn more advance then to raiders. But thats not only the mod fault sometimes it is just the stupid Raider AI fault.

And it is up to you to use or not to use such kind of mods. Some mods try to balance it more, RBSE hardcore at example made it much harder to craft bionic parts.

But giving each pawn generel a " -20% increased mental break chance." at example isn't very logical. Sure it can happen as sideeffect.
But honstly don't you thing the bioengeneers wouldn't try to eliminate these sideeffect ? Noone on Glitterworld would buy such stuff.
Maybe ask for a mod that increase the chance that Raiders and wild animal's (manhunter pack) spawn with much more Bionic. Compared to the bionic part (and other enhancemants like regrown part or Cthulhu tentacle) ration your got installed at your pawns.

matheryn

Quote from: Canute on May 04, 2018, 01:00:50 PM
matheryn,
welcome at the modded gameplay of Rimworld ! :-)
You notice self, most mod are more or less like cheating. These mod add stuff that give your pawn more advance then to raiders. But thats not only the mod fault sometimes it is just the stupid Raider AI fault.

And it is up to you to use or not to use such kind of mods. Some mods try to balance it more, RBSE hardcore at example made it much harder to craft bionic parts.

But giving each pawn generel a " -20% increased mental break chance." at example isn't very logical. Sure it can happen as sideeffect.
But honstly don't you thing the bioengeneers wouldn't try to eliminate these sideeffect ? Noone on Glitterworld would buy such stuff.
Maybe ask for a mod that increase the chance that Raiders and wild animal's (manhunter pack) spawn with much more Bionic. Compared to the bionic part (and other enhancemants like regrown part or Cthulhu tentacle) ration your got installed at your pawns.

I'm not saying that these mods are ment to give these side effect I'm just saying that when you go to the hospital they always get you to sign a waver of liability for and tell you that your operation could potentially come with unknown side effects so the -20% mental break could be a random generated side effect of the implemented mod not a garenteed sideeffect

witchyspoon

i dont think i would even be able to reasonably add negative effects to animals.
also the simple prosthetics dont really add anything only the bionics do but they also have a research + crafting/buying cost.
i couldnt even add mental break or something to animals....bc they are animals. they dont even have that, they do not work like colonists.

matheryn

ah fair enough it was just a thought but I suppose the idea might be more beneficial towards the epoe mod

Kalre

Does anyone know if theres a way for this to work with Quality Surgeon ? :(

witchyspoon

B19 update with major changes, please read 1st post

alexdgreat

Where I can get a Lite version of mod for b19?

Dr Roach

Nightinggale

After having released ModCheck for B19, I started updating the wiki manual. I wrote an ADS patching guide complete with a template. It's better than any ADS patch I have seen so far because first of all, it's fast. It's really fast, like around 20 times faster than some other ADS patches and that's not counting patches, which screwed up xpath searching.

The other benefit is that it makes use of ModCheck to only apply the patches if ADS is loaded. This completely eliminates the need for standalone ADS patchmods. The modded animal will work without ADS, but if it's there, it will work with ADS as well without any user interaction at all.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

witchyspoon

Quote from: alexdgreat on August 31, 2018, 03:24:01 AM
Where I can get a Lite version of mod for b19?
I did not release a lite version this time around bc frankly i couldnt be bothered, I might tho if the demand is high enough.

Quote from: Dr Roach on September 10, 2018, 04:29:27 PM
Why the name "A Dog Said..."?
The name is a tribute to the very first mod author who named it that. it was a quote that started with those words.

Quote from: Nightinggale on September 15, 2018, 02:27:47 PM
After having released ModCheck for B19, I started updating the wiki manual. I wrote an ADS patching guide complete with a template. It's better than any ADS patch I have seen so far because first of all, it's fast. It's really fast, like around 20 times faster than some other ADS patches and that's not counting patches, which screwed up xpath searching.

The other benefit is that it makes use of ModCheck to only apply the patches if ADS is loaded. This completely eliminates the need for standalone ADS patchmods. The modded animal will work without ADS, but if it's there, it will work with ADS as well without any user interaction at all.
Its great to see ModCheck has been fixed to work with the name of the mod. (tho might be diffficult with mods that change their name due to versions)
The first iteration of ModCheck (or at least last time I tried to use it on my own animal mod) checked against *foldernames* which was a complete disaster and totally useless...
But this is awesome means most animal modmakers (myself included) can ditch those ADS patches

Nightinggale

Quote from: spoonshortage on September 15, 2018, 04:12:27 PM
Its great to see ModCheck has been fixed to work with the name of the mod. (tho might be diffficult with mods that change their name due to versions)
The first iteration of ModCheck (or at least last time I tried to use it on my own animal mod) checked against *foldernames* which was a complete disaster and totally useless...
But this is awesome means most animal modmakers (myself included) can ditch those ADS patches
ModCheck started out with checking name from About.xml in A17. Vanilla added a check in B18, which read foldernames. Since this is totally useless, I carried on with ModCheck in B18 using the A17 code, which actually worked in B18 without any modifications. The IsModLoaded operation is actually unmodified when I upgraded to B19, meaning apart from a single performance boost change, it's still the A17 code. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The big problem in bringing ModCheck to B19 was the Harmony interaction. Vanilla changed every single line it was supposed to work with and I had to basically rewrite the interaction from scratch. The test release changed stuff again and once again I had to rewrite some of the Harmony code. This is however unrelated to ADS and you can ask in the ModCheck thread if you want to know more details about this.

The short version is that ModCheck worked in A17 and B18 for this task and now it works in B19 too. Also I wrote a new template, which is even faster than the ADS template I wrote for B18. Part of the reason why it's faster is because it's optimized for B19 and wouldn't work as well in B18.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

SargBjornson

That's good to know, since ADS is the main thing I use ModCheck in Genetic Rim for!

Bobisme

Great mod mate, a must have :)

I have a request if i may, is it possible to replace rhino horns and elephant tusks with scyther blades? :)
Is it impossible due to the game itself not recognizing those appendages to begin with? :)

Either way, cheers mate :)

UrShaikort

Good time of day. I noticed that most mods, that add new animals to RimWorld, don't need compability patches for B19+ versions. Have you added inbuilt support for them? If yes, will it work with any mod? Or just some, that have compability patches in the main mod now?

witchyspoon

Quote from: UrShaikort on October 16, 2018, 02:17:37 PM
Good time of day. I noticed that most mods, that add new animals to RimWorld, don't need compability patches for B19+ versions. Have you added inbuilt support for them? If yes, will it work with any mod? Or just some, that have compability patches in the main mod now?
I'll just guess you are asking if I have added support for other animal mods? no i havent how could I. If you are using this mod and an animal mod, then the animal mod maker needs to provide a patch or inbuilt compatability with this other wise it wont work with modded animals. I myself obviously cannot provide a patch for every animal mod out there.
also this mod is now in my main mod thread: from 1.0 onwards:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46210.0