Ever feel like the game is messing with you?

Started by Quasarrgames, January 09, 2017, 09:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I understand that it's all just a part of the game, but still, I'm sure you've had at least one incident when the game seemed so narrowly and suspiciously unfair that you wondered if the RNG gods were purposefully messing with you...

...so post these situations here, if you like!

Here are some of the times i've encountered:
-The SECOND i built my first solar panel an eclipse started
-Only a 2.5% chance of an elephant going violent when a colonist tries to tame it, and the VERY FIRST TIME it goes insane and angers 5 other elephants near it, destroying my early base

And now the ones on the Sea Ice Challenge alone:
-The day after i get an electric heater going via wind power, the stops just long enough for Engie to die of hypothermia
-Engie goes out to chase a raider to get his rare muffalo wool parka, but she gets hypothermia and collapses THREE SQUARES AWAY from the door to warmth
-The minute Engie gets a smelter going and tries to use it, but as soon as she gets to it, the power cuts off, and she has a minor mental break right outside her door and won't go inside, and consequently dies of hypothermia
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Sinosauropteryx

When a starving colonist is eating a meal, and the progress bar is 95% done, and he goes into a daze. Reason: Starving.

Best game
Whole body          RimWorld addiction

matthewgareth

75 manhunter muffalos during a mechanoid drop in and then 4 back to back raids

skullywag

Devilstrand harvest is over 90 percent grown....cold snap. EVERYONE HARVEST THAT SHIT NOW!
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Limdood

Quote from: skullywag on January 10, 2017, 03:43:09 AM
Devilstrand harvest is over 90 percent grown....cold snap. EVERYONE HARVEST THAT SHIT NOW!

blight is the bigger troll...i often set up consistent, small fields to keep everyone alive, supplemented with hunting on appropriate maps, and when i get the chance i set up some giant, walled fields with slow growing crops for either a big storage stockpile or cash crops.  Inevitably, i finally get the big fields set up, and a blight always seems to hit between 80-100% grown.

In fact, only once did i ever recieve a "nonissue" blight...i had just harvested my small fields, hadn't even replanted and a blight hit....killing 2 plants :p.

Thyme

I read somewhere in that forums that blights hit you when the colony grows too quickly. Can anybody confirm?

+First A15 run, researcher goes on his first drug binge, takes some flake, gets addicted. I proceed to burn all the drugs afterwards.
+A15 Bionic doctor with surgery success chance 120%ish fails in a minor way.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

SilentP

Ever feel like the game is messing with you? Every. Single. Day.

Every refugee / wanderer that joins my colony has some kind of addiction.  On my most recent Tribal colony, the first two people to join had go-juice, smokeleaf and wake-up addictions.

Flash storms seem to ALWAYS hit my windmill generators.

Zrrt! occurs at night in my barn setting a boomalope on fire...

Bulk Goods traders show up with 1000 silver and the same piles of cloth, steel and meat.

Whenever a colonist goes beserk they wander into the barn and punch a puppy. >=(

Cargo pods are usually full of meat when my freezer is full, cloth when I just harvested cotton and drugs when mental breaks are on the horizon.

Grishnerf

i have exactly the opposite sometimes! lol

getting low on metal, wanna build 4 coolers. -> Crash pod ressources -> metalchunks + metal
im fiddling around in the billlist for fine meals, toggling on/off un/fertilized eggs -> crashpod ressources 100eggs.
im slaughtering my livestock -> wild animal grp joins you

etc..

:D
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Limdood

Quote from: Grishnerf on January 10, 2017, 12:34:48 PM
i have exactly the opposite sometimes! lol

getting low on metal, wanna build 4 coolers. -> Crash pod ressources -> metalchunks + metal
im fiddling around in the billlist for fine meals, toggling on/off un/fertilized eggs -> crashpod ressources 100eggs.
im slaughtering my livestock -> wild animal grp joins you

etc..

:D

I've noticed this "game helping you" in one aspect.

Wildfires...when a fire happens in a map where there is enough foliage to spread it over the whole map, the fire rarely covers more than 25% of the map before rain/snow starts.  Might actually be coded in (which makes sense...a heart attack boomalope probably shouldn't make half a continent uninhabitable...seems a poor evolutionary feature!)

matthewgareth

Quote from: SilentP on January 10, 2017, 12:23:27 PM
Whenever a colonist goes beserk they wander into the barn and punch a puppy. >=(

Cargo pods are usually full of meat when my freezer is full, cloth when I just harvested cotton and drugs when mental breaks are on the horizon.

Poor puppy

kilgoar

Yeah sometimes I feel that way. Lately I've felt like the game has been handing me endless lucky gifts. Well, yeah, there was that one tragedy yesterday, but we don't talk about that.

I beat the game in about 2 hours today. That was some unbelievable luck.