[A16]Pawns can gain skills in adulthood backstory that are disabled in childhood

Started by cheetah2003, January 10, 2017, 06:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheetah2003

Might want to look into colonist randomization.  I got a colonist that was a doctor by career backstory (forget the exact story, was like +6 to medicine), but his childhood backstory prevented Doctoring, so I had a Doctor who couldn't tend to others despite his career backstory giving him a huge bonus to medicine.  Sadly, I killed him off, so I can't provide a screenshot, but trust me, this happened.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report. I've just randomly generated a load of Pawns and managed to find:-

Childhood - Test subject (Doctoring disabled)
Adulthood - Defector (+3 Medicine)

Do you think this was the combination you had? As this combo appears to be a bug to me (screenshot attached). Or did you have a combo similar to this example:

Childhood - Sickly child (+4 Research)
Adulthood - Factory worker (Research disabled)

Which I'm not sure is a bug as the skills gained as a child were subsequently disabled by something that happened in adulthood, which seems very plausible to me. Whereas the opposite, that being a Pawn gaining skills in adulthood in relation to a job they can't do, seems implausible to me.

ps. I've edited your thread title to better summarise the issue (as per the guidelines).

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

skullywag

This is a known issue with the backstory/trait system, im sure Tynans aware but examples cannot hurt.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

cheetah2003

Quote from: Calahan on January 10, 2017, 08:01:57 AM
Thank you for the bug report. I've just randomly generated a load of Pawns and managed to find:-

Childhood - Test subject (Doctoring disabled)
Adulthood - Defector (+3 Medicine)

No.  It was more pronounced than just a adulthood backstory that included medicine, it was a 'something' Doctor adult back story, with a childhood backstory that disabled caring.  Wish I still had that colonist to give you the backstory.  Maybe I'll rummage through the available ones with Prepare Carefully to find the exact ones.

In fact, in your example, you get a colonist with the id: "Myname, Defector", in my case, my guy had "Myname, Doctor" but caring disabled by childhood backstory.  It was very silly.

Edit: Think the combo my guy had was:
Childhood: War child (Shooting +5, Melee +3, Doctoring disabled, Art disabled)
Adulthood: Marble doctor (Medicine +8, Research +4)

Calahan

Quote from: cheetah2003 on January 10, 2017, 11:17:21 AM
Edit: Think the combo my guy had was:
Childhood: War child (Shooting +5, Melee +3, Doctoring disabled, Art disabled)
Adulthood: Marble doctor (Medicine +8, Research +4)
Good find. As skullywag says, even if Tynan is aware of this issue, I can't imagine providing specific examples will hurt. So thanks for taking the time to (probably) recreate the combo you had.

NolanSyKinsley

IIRC he knows this is an issue because he has said there is no check involved in rolling child and adult backstories at all, so not really a bug, just unimplemented as of now.

Aurnia

I am not sure if this is a "bug" or "unintended/overlooked behavior".

During character select I noticed I had a Doctor with no medicine capabilities. His childhood as a Boy soldier disabled doctoring, but as an adult he was a Marble doctor (Medicine +8).

Would I would expect is:

a) if a character has a trait disabled as a child, that they do not primarily use that trait as an adult (they are not a scientist as an adult if they had researching disabled as a child, etc)

OR

b) if a character has a trait disabled as a child, it can be re-enabled if the bonus points to that trait pass a certain threshold due to their adult backstory (if as an adult they get a +6 or more on a stat that is disabled, it is re-enabled or w/e)

Mod edit (Calahan) - This post was posted as a new thread, so I merged it with the existing thread that was recently created on this issue.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Calahan

@ Aurnia - Thank you for the bug report. This is known... thing, that Tynan is aware of, and I assume he will address as some point (although probably not soon as it's very minor, and has minimal impact on gameplay).

There was already an exiting thread for this issue so I have merged your thread with the existing one. Thanks for taking to time to report it though all the same.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Okay, Defector shuffled adulthood was missing some requiredWorkTags, so I added them.

I've also adjusted a bunch of the solid player-created backstories so they don't have pointless self-disabling skills.

Thanks for reporting.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog