[A17] Mod List Backup (v1.5.1) (Search/Install/Colors)

Started by scuba156, January 11, 2017, 11:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldVarg

Would it be possible for you (with help of others) made a list of links to many files found from the forum, so you can update a mod when it gets a new version. Similar to steam.

scuba156

Just a bit of an update. Things will be slow over the next week or two as I will be a bit busy.

As I've said, I have been working on a new mod menu which I have been adding bits and pieces when I get the chance. There is still a bit of work to do and changes to be made but I have attached heap of screenshots of how it currently looks and some of its new functions. Any suggestions, especially on the design are welcome.

Quote from: EldVarg on February 05, 2017, 01:01:34 PM
Would it be possible for you (with help of others) made a list of links to many files found from the forum, so you can update a mod when it gets a new version. Similar to steam.
I wouldn't be able to put any time into maintaining such a list, but if the community had a list, I would use it. I can update some mods via github, but have decided to wait on implementing it for now.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

EldVarg

Nice condensed hud. Like it!
Maybe warn if you have a mod from both steam and manual?

scuba156

Quote from: EldVarg on February 07, 2017, 06:19:21 AM
Nice condensed hud. Like it!
Maybe warn if you have a mod from both steam and manual?
I could put an exclamation mark icon near the activate mod button with a tooltip that explains it has a duplicate.

I want to add user selectable colours to the names of mods, so users can highlight specific mods etc. I would have to find another way to display that a mod is deactivated tho as it currently changes the text to red, not sure on the best way to do it yet.

BlackSmokeDMax

Like your "install locally" feature!

Any chance you are renaming the folder to something more readable when copying it over? Even leaving the Steam number and appending the actual mod name to the folder would be awesome, hell maybe leaving the Steam number as part of the folder name would even be preferable. Easy to see where that folder came from that way.

Lerin

Core Mods
Dependencies
Others

Category 1
Category 2
Catergory 3
Category 4

If category names are not fixed, just let us to rename it.

scuba156

I've created a custom widget that I want to show off :P

A new button designed for floatmenus, used for the state selector and the mod list sort type. I've move the save button to the bottom of the mod list. Screenshot attached.

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on February 07, 2017, 09:00:28 AM
Any chance you are renaming the folder to something more readable when copying it over?
-snip-
It currently creates a folder using the mod name and removes the spaces. I could do something like mods/modName-steamID/ I will end up doing a dialog before installing that allows you to rename it from the default.

Quote from: Lerin on February 07, 2017, 09:18:17 AM
-snip-
If category names are not fixed, just let us to rename it.
I can add extra renamable categories, might not be in the first release though.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: scuba156 on February 07, 2017, 10:40:04 AM
I could do something like mods/modName-steamID/ I will end up doing a dialog before installing that allows you to rename it from the default.

I think that would be ideal! I'd love for it to default to the mods/modName-steamID/ and then with the option to rename it would be perfect, IMO.

scuba156

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on February 07, 2017, 11:29:51 AM
I think that would be ideal! I'd love for it to default to the mods/modName-steamID/ and then with the option to rename it would be perfect, IMO.
I might add a few default paths to choose from as well, for example:

mods/modName-steamID/
mods/steamID-modName/
mods/modName(steamID)/
mods/modName/
etc

Fumble

I guess a date would be good, too, like
/mods/steamId-modName-17-02-08/
Because of the steam auto updater, it would be hard to know from when a snapshot was otherwise.

Great job, by the way, love it, especially once the search bar is in, that's the most annoying thing for me at the moment (>200 installed mods).

I'm working on yet another mod manager at the moment. If I make enough progress with the database I'll gladly let you know.

scuba156

Quote from: Fumble on February 07, 2017, 08:34:28 PM
I guess a date would be good, too, like
/mods/steamId-modName-17-02-08/
Because of the steam auto updater, it would be hard to know from when a snapshot was otherwise.

Great job, by the way, love it, especially once the search bar is in, that's the most annoying thing for me at the moment (>200 installed mods).

I'm working on yet another mod manager at the moment. If I make enough progress with the database I'll gladly let you know.
Date would be good, but its got me thinking that I have to be careful with how long the full folder path is as there is a limit before windows starts throwing a fit.

drakulux

Hi, Just wanna throw in my input. I think having it as
/mods/modname-[last updated date]

Would allow for the modlist to be easily manageable especially as each mod tends to update quite often with this game (MOD AUTHORS LET ME PLAY. STOP UPDATING FOR 1 WEEK SO I CAN PLAY RIMWORLD). If it can also pull the last update date off steam then you can have that displayed either always by the modname or possibly utilizing your new float menu to display on hover so as not be too cluttered? Eagerly anticipating this as someone that uses 145 mods, with no errors mind you ;)

scuba156

Quote from: drakulux on February 08, 2017, 04:15:08 AM
Hi, Just wanna throw in my input. I think having it as
/mods/modname-[last updated date]

-snip-
I'm pretty sure I can get the last updated date, I would have to check tho. It seems like it would be the better default path.

I'm considering increasing each mods row height so I can display more information under the mods name. Last updated date would go well there.

Mods will be able to add a file in the about folder that will set its category and priority. Category types so far are Core, Dependency, Texture and Other. Priority types so far are Default, High and Highest. I'll post an example file soon so mods can start including it if they wish.

BlackGyver

Hi!

Small issue here: checking the "Restart On Close" option doesn't have any effect on my end, game has the usual vanilla behavior on closing the old mod menu, no error appears in the console, nothing.

Not giving you a lot of concrete things here, so if I can provide any extra information, let me know!