[A17] Mod List Backup (v1.5.1) (Search/Install/Colors)

Started by scuba156, January 11, 2017, 11:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldVarg

Great mod!
I suggest a refresh button - when you have added, changed mods while the window where open, so you dont have to close mod list and open it again.

scuba156

Quote from: Der Failer on January 22, 2017, 10:20:55 AM
Wonderful, thank for this update/mod. :)

Did you consider submitting your mod to get put in to vanilla (here)? I know that is doesn't exactly fit in any of the categories Tynans names, none the less it makes the modding experience much better.
I have thought about it but I think there a few things that would need changing before it could be integrated seamlessly. There definitely will be after my next update anyhow.

Quote from: EldVarg on January 24, 2017, 01:58:32 AM
Great mod!
I suggest a refresh button - when you have added, changed mods while the window where open, so you dont have to close mod list and open it again.
Suggestions are great, and I always try my best to implement them.

Are you able to clarify on a refresh button? Currently, the mod list will update as mods change and the latest update allows you to restart rimworld after changing mods.

EldVarg

If I add a mod from steam or manually, I have to first exit mod screen then enter it again to see the new mods.

scuba156

Quote from: EldVarg on January 24, 2017, 06:41:45 AM
If I add a mod from steam or manually, I have to first exit mod screen then enter it again to see the new mods.
Ah I see. I thought steam workshop mods did this at least. I will add it to the next update.

asquirrel

Man, I would love to see a mod where you could search for a mod in your mod list, then right click on it and it opens the mod location in explorer. :)

Der Failer

Quote from: scuba156 on January 24, 2017, 08:17:57 AM
Quote from: EldVarg on January 24, 2017, 06:41:45 AM
Ah I see. I thought steam workshop mods did this at least. I will add it to the next update.
It does, but only if you add mods form the Steam ingame overlay. But i found that it seems to crash RW from time to time...
If i find a way to reproduce it reliable i'll post about it in Bugs section.

Also +1 for asquirrel idea.

Edit: Just tested a bit and the crashes are a vanilla problem.

scuba156

Quote from: asquirrel on January 24, 2017, 11:13:37 AM
Man, I would love to see a mod where you could search for a mod in your mod list, then right click on it and it opens the mod location in explorer. :)
Great idea! I had expiremented a bit with this before by opening file explorer when you click the folder icon next to the mods name. I could do it on windows easily, but I had no platform detection code to handle osx/linux at the time but I do now. :)

Future updates will be making this into more of a mod manager rather than just what it is currently, so suggestions are really appreciated at the moment.

Quote from: Der Failer on January 24, 2017, 12:07:57 PM
It does, but only if you add mods form the Steam ingame overlay. But i found that it seems to crash RW from time to time...
If i find a way to reproduce it reliable i'll post about it in Bugs section.

Also +1 for asquirrel idea.

Edit: Just tested a bit and the crashes are a vanilla problem.
Thanks for testing it for me, it helps a lot!

asquirrel

I'll keep my eyes open for possible implementation of those features.  It would be super helpful because sometimes the mod name and folder name are different.  :)

scuba156

Quote from: asquirrel on January 24, 2017, 05:50:45 PM
I'll keep my eyes open for possible implementation of those features.  It would be super helpful because sometimes the mod name and folder name are different.  :)
Hopefully I won't keep you waiting too long :)

I'm fishing for feature ideas, big or small, so please let me know if anyone has any. Thanks!

EldVarg

I suggest add a: copy active/all mods to clipboard feature.
Good to have if you want to share what mods you are using.

Der Failer

Bugs:
If mods were changed and the old game takes a moment to close, while the new game gets started, steam sometimes (like 1/10 times or so) blocks the game from starting, saying it's already running. The easiest solution would probably be a small delay.

Also changing the mod load order does not seem to trigger a restart, on the other hand it also does not trigger a "reload" of the game either, so restarting manually isn't as much of a pain. If I'm not mistaken this is normal vanilla behavior (another one for the "How is this still a thing?" list), but since the loading order can make big difference i think it should be fixed.

Another small(?) feature request:
The possibility change the order of backups. ATM I have 3 "active" mod lists, the problem is that the one i'm playing most is the second, so every now and then is accidentally overwrite the first, when i meant to overwrite the second (undo to the win).

scuba156

I expected to have the next update out by now but got side tracked adding some features to HugsLib which I can use here. I'm also in the process of moving house so there's that too.

I'm still looking for ideas. I am completely rewriting the entire mod menu so the next version will be more of a mod manager rather than only a backup manager. Let me know what you would like to see out of a full mod menu overhaul.
Quote from: EldVarg on January 26, 2017, 09:04:29 AM
I suggest add a: copy active/all mods to clipboard feature.
Good to have if you want to share what mods you are using.
Good idea, I shall add it.

Quote from: Der Failer on January 29, 2017, 07:37:17 PM
Bugs:
-snip-
Thanks for the bug reports. The first issue should already be fixed for the next version. You are correct that the second is the normal vanilla behaviour, it uses a hash of the active mods when the mod menu is open and compares it to the the changed list when the mod menu closes, changing the order wont make the hash change. I'll have this fixed in the next update.

Good idea, I would have to add that to the edit names dialog, the pop up context menu I use to show all the slots is very limited.

b4d

Quote from: scuba156 on January 30, 2017, 10:05:55 AM
I'm still looking for ideas

Is it possible to add search / highlight function for a specific mod in the list?
With a long list of mods it's hard to spot the one you're looking for

asquirrel

Quote from: b4d on January 30, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Is it possible to add search / highlight function for a specific mod in the list?

I second that.  :)

scuba156

Quote from: b4d on January 30, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Yes this is something I will be adding.