If Steam mods are always "Downloading"

Started by BlackSmokeDMax, January 11, 2017, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Moving Steam Workshop Mods to the Manual Mod Install Folder For Windows Users

This procedure should prevent a couple of non-ideal behaviors.

-The dreaded "Downloading" problem as seen with the Workshop mods currently.

-Mod updates mid-game that could possibly prevent you from finishing your current game.

-Mods being removed from the workshop, which will wreck your game.

Folder locations:

Steam Workshop mods:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100

Manual mods folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods

Please note, these folder are dependent on where you have Steam installed on your computer, so the location may be slightly different prior to the "\Steam\Steamapps..." portion of the location.

Procedure:

1. Subscribe to all the mods you want to use.

2. After Steam downloads the mods, go into the Steam Workshop mods folder and then copy all of the folders present. (Drag a selection box around all the folders and then right click on one of them and select "copy")

3. Go to the Manual mods folder and then paste those folders to that location. (Right click empty file area and select "paste")

4. (optional) You can rename the folders from the steam id number to something more meaningful if you'd like. This has no bearing on how they will look in game, just makes it easier to manage within Windows. To figure out what mod is located within that folder you can go into that folder, then into the "About" folder. From there you will need to open the "About.xml" file, within the first couple of lines of that file you will see the name of the mod. This name is also what you will see when selecting the mod in-game.

5. At this point go back to Steam and un-subscribe from the mods. You don't want to leave them subscribed as having two versions of the mod has the possibility for messing things up. I would suggest making the mods a "Favorite" to make it easy to find them again.

6. Steam at this point will delete all the mod workshop content. It seems to leave the folders behind in the Steam Workshop mods folder, but the folders are empty at this point. I usually clean up by deleting those empty folders, but that also is completely optional.

7. Launch game and select mods as per usual.

8. Play!

Calahan

Many thanks for writing this up. I've stickied it for at least as long as this issue continues.

BlackSmokeDMax

If someone would like to add the process for Mac and Linux that would be very helpful. Or are those platforms not seeing this issue?

fakk2

Locate steam folder by clicking on desktop, clicking on menu bar, and choosing, go>go to folder

~/Library/Application Support/Steam

The rest of the instructions appear the same.  Testing now.

Liontamer45

What am i looking for in the document? if any values are the same?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Liontamer45 on March 27, 2017, 06:20:22 PM
What am i looking for in the document? if any values are the same?

Sorry, not following what your are looking for.

Could you quote the section from the original post you are having trouble with?

Liontamer45

milon

We don't know what the problem is, Liontamer45. Please explain exactly what you're trying to do and what problem you're experiencing so that we can help you out.

Liontamer45

my problem is that whenever my game starts and i check the mods not all the mods load and most of the mods show up  but for the rest is says "Downloading..."

Calahan

That sounds like the problem this thread is designed to address. In which case can you please confirm that you have tried following the step-by-step procedure as laid out in the OP. If you have already followed all the step given, and you still have a problem, then please can you confirm this in your reply. Or if you have not been able to follow the procedure due to having a problem with one (or more) of the steps, then please can you clarify exactly which step(s) of the procedure you require help with.

Here is a copy and paste of the procedure from the OP for convenience / clarity.

Procedure:

1. Subscribe to all the mods you want to use.

2. After Steam downloads the mods, go into the Steam Workshop mods folder and then copy all of the folders present. (Drag a selection box around all the folders and then right click on one of them and select "copy")

3. Go to the Manual mods folder and then paste those folders to that location. (Right click empty file area and select "paste")

4. (optional) You can rename the folders from the steam id number to something more meaningful if you'd like. This has no bearing on how they will look in game, just makes it easier to manage within Windows. To figure out what mod is located within that folder you can go into that folder, then into the "About" folder. From there you will need to open the "About.xml" file, within the first couple of lines of that file you will see the name of the mod. This name is also what you will see when selecting the mod in-game.

5. At this point go back to Steam and un-subscribe from the mods. You don't want to leave them subscribed as having two versions of the mod has the possibility for messing things up. I would suggest making the mods a "Favorite" to make it easy to find them again.

6. Steam at this point will delete all the mod workshop content. It seems to leave the folders behind in the Steam Workshop mods folder, but the folders are empty at this point. I usually clean up by deleting those empty folders, but that also is completely optional.

7. Launch game and select mods as per usual.

8. Play!

Liontamer45

ok i'm completely confused.. but i'll try anyways..

Liontamer45

XD FML i gotta add over 90 items to my favorites!

milon

@Liontamer45, FYI it's generally frowned on to post multiple times in a row, unless there's been at least 1 day in between or if you're adding new/critical information.  It is preferred to use the Edit button to add to a post when there hasn't been a day or a reply since your last one.  This is a rule in most forums these days (and it's #8 in ours).

Having said that, did it work?

Liontamer45

yes it did and dude tbh idc what other people have to say. i don't depend on what others say and if someone wants to try then they are an idiot.