Community Question: CPU Processor type?

Started by erdrik, January 11, 2017, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Im trying to get some comparative info.
I have a AMD FX-6350 Six Core (3.90Ghz) Processor.
Its a new purchase.

So far while playing Rimworld, twice now after some time, the whole system freezes and I get odd audio garbling. The system must be restarted.

Im fairly certain this isn't the games fault, since it ran fine(used to leave the game running non stop for days at a time) before the new purchase.

But I want to see if anyone else has this processor and if they have/had a similar problem?
(I have other new hardware as well that might be the culprit, but initial research indicates the processor)

dv

I'd honestly expect those symptoms to be bad RAM.

erdrik

Would bad RAM be game specific tho?

I don't have this problem with Overwatch, nor do I have the problem whilst using the UE4 Editor(which is VERY RAM intensive)

Hieronymous Alloy

A16 has a memory leak problem, it's known.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Zhentar

Hardware failures can indeed be game specific. Different games do things in different patterns, and for whatever reason one pattern causes failures while others do not. I personally have had a bad PCIe slot that caused crashes in one particular game, and worked fine in everything else except furmark (where it still didn't crash, just had artifacts).

It's pretty much impossible for RimWorld to directly do anything that will freeze your PC; your OS is largely designed around that principle and the frameworks RimWorld is built on further reinforce that.

PotatoeTater

It sounds like you possibly have multiple problems, check to see if one of your drivers for your audio, graphics, etc is incompatible with your processor. My laptop has two different audio drivers and rimworld uses a different one than any of my other games, it could be when you launch rimworld, the other audio driver conflicts with the processor somehow and causes a crash.
Life is Strange

milon

@OP, what OS are you running?  If you're on Windows, check the Event Viewer (specifically Windows Logs -> System) for errors.  That'll give you some good clues about the issue.

erdrik

Quote from: milon on January 13, 2017, 12:40:56 PM
@OP, what OS are you running?  If you're on Windows, check the Event Viewer (specifically Windows Logs -> System) for errors.  That'll give you some good clues about the issue.
Windows 7.
Thanks, Ill try to remember to check the log the next time it happens.

erdrik

It happened again, but there was no Windows Event Log leading up to or during the freeze.
Logging starts after the PC has rebooted.

dv

Quote from: erdrik on January 16, 2017, 06:08:45 PM
It happened again, but there was no Windows Event Log leading up to or during the freeze.
Logging starts after the PC has rebooted.

I don't mean to talk down to you here, but you did check ALL of the logs, right? Not just Security or something?

Sorry. I work in IT. I have to ask.  :D

loc978

Do you play any other games? Stress your system at all in any other way? Does this only happen with Rimworld?
...also, do you own any other games built with Unity that you could test on your system? What other hardware was replaced? What sort of old drivers did you need to remove, and what new ones needed installing? ...or did you make a clean install of Windows?

As to the initial question, I haven't played this game on an FX-6350 system, but I have on one running an FX-8350 with no major issues. I've also run it on things as slow as a 1.8Ghz dual core i3 and an old FM1 socket 2.3Ghz AMD APU (both slower than my old Athlon 64 X2 linux box, which runs it fine) with no issues aside from late-game slowdown.

RolanDecoy

Indeed, need a lot more to go on than just 'game crashes, audio stutters, I blame the CPU' ;-)

Did you install all the drivers (don't assume Windows fallback drivers are good enough, they are designed to provide only the bare minimum support, and the auto-search for drivers can get things wrong) for your motherboard, sound, network, video, etc?

Did you try a different game build?

Point is, there is not a lot to go on here, and there are a 1001 things that can go wrong, maybe 10% of which are game related, which leaves the other 90% split between the hardware, the software (that is not the game), the environment (both physical and the network) and the user... ;-)

skullywag

How much GRAM you got on your GFX card? ive seen a trend that people with 1GB or less seem to be the ones experiencing the memory issues (Skyarkangel has seen this also and mentioned it to me).
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Hieronymous Alloy

Quote from: skullywag on January 17, 2017, 04:13:39 AM
How much GRAM you got on your GFX card? ive seen a trend that people with 1GB or less seem to be the ones experiencing the memory issues (Skyarkangel has seen this also and mentioned it to me).

I have bad out of memory problems on my system and my card has eight gigs of VRAM, though rimworld seems to only detect four. It might be related to AMD cards, or perhaps just to playing with 400x400 map sizes.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

PotatoeTater

Quote from: Hieronymous Alloy on January 17, 2017, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: skullywag on January 17, 2017, 04:13:39 AM

I have bad out of memory problems on my system and my card has eight gigs of VRAM, though rimworld seems to only detect four. It might be related to AMD cards, or perhaps just to playing with 400x400 map sizes.

I have two graphics cards in my laptop and rimworld always reverts to my AMD card, try playing on the 350 option, you shouldn't get any problems.
Life is Strange