Offensively only, with some regularity
2 (0.8%)
Rarely
103 (43.6%)
Never
56 (23.7%)

Total Members Voted: 235

Tynan

I've reworked mortars based on the poll, so the poll is now obsolete and I'm closing it. Thanks to all who contributed!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

jpinard

I know it's too late, but I find mortars very useful (and fun!) defending against centipedes.

BoogieMan

I never build mortars, spending the time and resources on a good a defensive position set up seems far more effective, and isn't completely nullified by non-camping enemies.

mumblemumble

I know the poll was closed, but I figure I'd put my 2 cents in.

Mortars are VERY powerful, as they do high damage, pain effects (multiple wounds) and have a decent splash, but are pretty damn cumbersome.

Biggest issue is where aiming is extremely cumbersome, on multiple levels. Lets say I want to mortar an incoming raider : aiming at him directly means the mortar will hit when hes walked FAR away from the impact site, making it useless, so you must lead the target using your own judgement against them. It also tends to spread extremely wide at short ranges, which bothers me quite a bit, but I understand, I suppose.

Its also extremely slow, and not very reactable at all, but I understand this as a balance issue.

Overall, I like the mortars, they are also extremely useful against manhunting packs, as you can thin the heard.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Brutetal

Well I expereminted a bit...

I'm afraid to have no pics available, I just forget them so often.
I've basically built one looooong corridor to right before the only entry to my base. Even though it is damn long and full of rock chunks, the raiders will take because all other walls of my colony are four tiles thick.
Now comes the trick;
I have cramped the approx. 30 tiles long corridor with mostly granite chunks. At three points I drew kind of a line with marble chunks (different color). Now, if the raiders walk over the first line of marble, I fire all mortars on the second line. I set already the forced attack there, but hold fire. I click all mortars at once and unforbid fire.
BAMMM!  Up to 80% of the times I hit with most mortars direct hits.
I think a four tiles wide corridor should be even more effective. Will have to test that.

Just a cool input if you want a "legit killbox" that isn't just turret spamming ;)

SpaceDorf

You sir just described a coordinated fire strike on a prepared target, well done :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Brutetal

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 22, 2017, 05:02:37 PM
You sir just described a coordinated fire strike on a prepared target, well done :)

Yeah serving in the military and learning some military tactics had to be good for SOMETHING, right? *chuckle*

Hans Lemurson

Wait, I thought the only legit tactics in Rimworld were sending masses of poorly equipped irregulars single-file against entrenched and hardened positions.  Have the pirates been doing it wrong the whole time?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 23, 2017, 04:10:31 AM
Wait, I thought the only legit tactics in Rimworld were sending masses of poorly equipped irregulars single-file against entrenched and hardened positions.  Have the pirates been doing it wrong the whole time?

Of course not .. you are confusing player tactics with AI tactics :)

Quote from: Brutetal on February 22, 2017, 05:06:20 PM
Yeah serving in the military and learning some military tactics had to be good for SOMETHING, right? *chuckle*

I was armored Artillery myself , that is the biggest issue I have with mortars .. they just suck compared to the real deal.

b0rsuk

By the way it seems that EMP mortars were actually nerfed in A16. I remember their blast area to be HUGE, now they're about half as big.

SpaceDorf

And nobody noticed until now ..

B0rsuk I think you just summarized the use of mortars in your post ..

b0rsuk

I don't know what Tynan exactly did to mortars in A17, but he could kill two birds with one stone by making colonists automatically lead the target. Mortar shell has relatively low travel time, so while letting colonists shoot automatically is convenient, it's better to target manually against moving raids. I don't enjoy that micromanagement.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 10, 2017, 07:30:53 AM
... he could kill two birds with one stone by making colonists automatically lead the target.

Brief block of instruction on how to plot an intercept course.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Shurp

OK, I take back what I said earlier.  Mortars aren't *totally* useless, as I just discovered:

My 5 poor colonists suddenly discovered 21 tribals milling about preparing to attack.  I knew they would overrun my static defenses too easily (yes, I'm playing without turrets again).  So I thought I could take the battle to them and shoot them, but several reloads proved that wasn't going to work.  4:1 is just awful odds in a straight shootout.

Then I remembered that I had snagged a mortar from a siege a while back.  So I loaded it up and fired several shells at the mob, and managed to kill 5 of them.  The rest charged my base, and this time I was able to kill another half dozen as they swarmed my killbox causing the rest to flee.

So, mortars do work against large AI squads milling about aimlessly.  And note this was a single mortar.  If I had actually researched and built several I might have been able to really mess them up.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

EnricoDandolo

I think that Mortars are a really useful thing to have in the game.
- I've used them for defense against other sieges, and against raiders.
- I've used them to siege raiders
Its so nice to see 10 mortars firing at once, and when they all land it makes for a really fun hail-Mary moment of pure destruction.
All that is balanced by the fact that we need shells, if we didn't need the shells I'd rush Mortars at day one.