[A16] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, January 12, 2017, 05:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Update:

- Finally, belatedly, fixed the broken saves from the 02/04/2017 update. Thanks to gendalf for providing me with a copy of the Jan 29 version of the mod, so I could recreate and track down the source of the trouble!
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

gendalf

It would make sense if removing dirt to make impassible water, would actually create dirt piles, and in general the net dirt shouldn't disappear too much in the cycle of dirt

dburgdorf

Quote from: gendalf on February 22, 2017, 01:58:26 AM
It would make sense if removing dirt to make impassible water, would actually create dirt piles, and in general the net dirt shouldn't disappear too much in the cycle of dirt

I'm not quite following you. Creating impassable water from deep water *does* produce dirt piles, just as creating deep water from impassable water requires them.

(Creating deep water from shallow water probably should, as well, but currently doesn't, to balance the fact that creating shallow water doesn't require dirt. If that's what you're referring to, it's something I'm already thinking of altering.)

On a side note, can I safely assume the latest change did in fact finally let you load your old save files?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

gendalf

QuoteOn a side note, can I safely assume the latest change did in fact finally let you load your old save files?
yes it did.

maybe make removing smooth stone from the ground produce stone chunks, like when mining?

sdp0et

I'm having a problem with references sticking around after disabling the mod. I subscribed to this one and a couple of others that made terrain buildable (Vegetable Garden & Constructable Terrain) and wanted to look at one at a time.

There's a trace like this for several terrain types:
Could not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.DesignationCategoryDef named RFF_Adds found to give to Verse.TerrainDef WaterModerate

and one like this between each of those.
Could not resolve cross-reference to Verse.ResearchProjectDef named advterrainreclamation

These are logged when the game starts, not during a load of a save. I have re-enabled the mod and restarted and the errors are still logged, even after trying different load positions.

After restarting the game (actually quitting and starting) I generated a new world and can't build some objects (ex: fishing pier) because of terrain types that can't be found:

Failed to find Verse.TerrainDef named Muck. There are 69 defs of this type loaded.

and a similar one for Shallowmoat. The only place I can find the word "muck" is in Terrain_RFF.xml, but I can't find Shallowmoat anywhere.

Should it be possible possible for a world to be generated with defs from a mod that's not loaded after a quit-and-restart?  If this is a case of the mod not unloading, do you know of a way to deal with this?

edit: I was able to restart the game with the mod enabled and not get the errors.  Now only the error for SHallowmoat happens when I try to build, which does make it seem like the world generated with terrain types from Fertile Fields even though it was disabled. Now I just need to figure out where Shallowmoat comes from.  It's not in any file in my mods or core directories.

dburgdorf

Quote from: sdp0et on February 22, 2017, 07:46:07 PM
I'm having a problem with references sticking around after disabling the mod....

If you try to load a game that was created with the mod after you've removed the mod, you'll have problems.  If you disable the mod but don't actually restart the game, you can still have problems.

But I have no idea why you'd be getting these errors if you disabled the mod and then restarted the game before creating a new world, as at that point there shouldn't be anything referencing the "Fertile Fields"-specific terrain tiles (or architect tab).

My best guess is that you've got another mod in your list that depends on "Fertile Fields," probably either my "Fertile Fields + FishIndustry + [sd] Bridges" patch mod or "Rainbeau's Cleanup Mod," but even then, the errors as you're describing them don't seem to make much sense.

(The "Shallowmoat" tile, by the way, comes from "More Vanilla Turrets." In "Rainbeau's Cleanup Mod," I alter its definition so it matches the placeable shallow water tiles from "Fertile Fields.")

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: gendalf on February 22, 2017, 02:59:32 PM
maybe make removing smooth stone from the ground produce stone chunks, like when mining?

After yesterday, when I updated everything, I *thought* I might have a chance to actually play the game a bit before I got back to working on mods. But, NO! You had to go and come up with another brilliant suggestion. :P

Seriously, though, I love the idea, and I'm already working on it. Converting stone to rocky dirt will cost a pile of dirt, but will also have a chance to provide you with a chunk of the appropriate stone type.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Another quick update:

- Rocky dirt can now be constructed on either rough or smooth stone, costs a pile of dirt, and has a chance of yielding a chunk of the appropriate stone type.

- As a side effect of the above, it's no longer possible to construct rocky dirt on floors, which never should have been possible, anyway.

- Converting deep water to shallow water now costs dirt, and converting shallow to deep produces it.

- Made some "behind the scenes" adjustments to improve backward save compatibility and to prevent further usage of old terrain defs.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

AngleWyrm

Hi, just tried this puppy out, and the rough ground presents an interesting challenge. Maybe a bit over the top as far as limiting the availability of wood though.

This mod sort of works with Rikiki's Fish Industry mod, in that fishing piers can be placed on the shallow water tiles, but the fishing pier needs some clearance. Looks like about three tiles worth of shallow water.

So the problem is that world generation creates a narrow band of shallow water that doesn't provide enough room going out from shore to place a pier. Can you increase the shallow water band enough so that the Fishing Pier can be built most places?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 25, 2017, 09:45:40 PM
Hi, just tried this puppy out, and the rough ground presents an interesting challenge. Maybe a bit over the top as far as limiting the availability of wood though.

Rocky dirt only generates on some of the tiles that otherwise would have been gravel, so it shouldn't impact the availability of trees for wood in any way.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 25, 2017, 09:45:40 PMThis mod sort of works with Rikiki's Fish Industry mod....

If you look in my "other mods" thread -- the link's in my sig -- you'll find that I've already released a compatibility patch mod that allows "Fertile Fields," "FishIndustry," and "[sd] Bridges" to all play nicely together. I did that because I like having fishing piers and bridges available on my own maps. :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

AngleWyrm

Rambus200

Is there going to be a compatibility patch for 'Better Terrain'? blackhalo is doing some fancy work with terrain generation.

Better Terrain URL: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30203.0

AngleWyrm

It's probably one or the other, and my preference is for the one that adds the least burdensome hardship to game play.

The game I started today landed near a small mud-surrounded pool, but it doesn't have enough water for a fishing dock. So I'm going to do some terrain research to figure out how to drain out the muck and make a nice fishing pier.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rambus200 on February 28, 2017, 09:01:23 PM
Is there going to be a compatibility patch for 'Better Terrain'? blackhalo is doing some fancy work with terrain generation.

I'm not familiar with that mod, but it looks like it just modifies terrain generation. So I'd assume that if you load it after "Fertile Fields," its terrain generation changes will overwrite mine, but "Fertile Fields" will otherwise remain functional.

An actual compatibility patch -- which adds my new terrain tiles to his modified generation -- could be difficult, especially as it seems "Better Terrain" is still very much a work in progress.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

GlitchKs

I have had Tilled Soil mod for a while but always felt there wasn't enough work involved.

Just stumbled on this. Looking forward to swapping out for your mod later tonight.