Z-Levels / Buildings should have a second floor

Started by lllMWNlll, January 14, 2017, 08:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 03, 2017, 07:45:57 AM
I love Rimworld for its simplicity and that it achievs to be a "not-like" Dwarf Fortress Game. There are many things that still need to be done, Z-Levels are not one of them.
Every game that had some kind of z-levels had a hard time with the UI.
The early X-Com Games ( havent played the last ones ) Homeworld, which had horrible controls in my oppinion and others.

Agree on this one.
z-Levels can offer a great amount off possibilities, no question on that, but if it's for me, there is no place on such in Rimworld.
And if I remember mf DF experience, it never looked very good if youre on multiple z-levels as you rarely see your full colony. I'd very miss to see all my colonists, plus animals, plus workshops, plus fighting in the dormitory, plus landscape, plus the bushfires in the landscape, plus Ace and Donna losing an eye by a collapsing roof. By now Rimworld is a big and beautiful picture, to look at and not a multidimensional spreadsheet.

I'd wish there was more interaction with geographic, like movespeed reduction, casualties on heavy terrain like ice or snow, artifial irrigation and such, but I can't think of a proper way to implement z-levels without breaking Rimworlds basic properties.

TL;DR omg no z-levels! >:( Argelfargel!
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

NightBurst

I thought about this a few minutes ago, what if we were able to get a multi layer system (IE Multiple floors like in The sims, Timber and Stone, Etc) Where we can use Page up and Page down to access them.

This would grant us the ability to make sniper towers, multi level apartment or crafting buildings, tower builds or making multiple floors in mountain bases.

Just an idea I had.

Drakortha

Great idea. Although I'm sure some people will be by soon to tell you why it shouldn't or couldn't be done.. as they seem to like doing in every forum I frequent.

NightBurst

Quote from: Drakortha on December 19, 2017, 11:08:47 PM
Great idea. Although I'm sure some people will be by soon to tell you why it shouldn't or couldn't be done.. as they seem to like doing in every forum I frequent.

Yeah, I see this often on every forum for every game I have played from Alpha on. On one game that was abandoned, (IE Timber and stone) I watched as someone put a brilliant idea out there, I think it was the scaffolding to help the pawns build multi level buildings. A few players (B) within an hour jumped in and attacked the player (A) saying how this idea was attrocious and the creator would never implement it into the game.

Turns out a moderator was watching, the group of players (B) were going around bashing ideas trying to make them look less appealing, while supporting their own reccomendations. The moderator called them out on it and removed each of their abilities to post in the "Reccomendations" forums, for selective aiding and harming of growth.

Ultimately, player (A)'s idea was implemented in the "Grow with us" update. The scaffolding was put into the game and was a huge success, but sadly now the game as all but been abandoned.

Bolgfred

Quote from: NightBurst on December 19, 2017, 10:11:47 PM
I thought about this a few minutes ago, what if we were able to get a multi layer system ...

The answer it 'No!', there will be no z-levels. I can tell you why: It's because it is written here, 2nd entry after Multiplayer:    Frequent Suggestions Topic!
If you search related topics you will find mostly performance as the main reason. But there are many more. Read the forum!

Quote from: Drakortha on December 19, 2017, 11:08:47 PM
I don't think this accusation applies here, as there are reasons to decline things. These things you will probably find out when you start reading the forums. There are many threads about this topic.
So please, don't use you first posts in a forum to blame the community.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Calahan

There is now absolutely zero chance of Z-levels getting added to RimWorld. While the game was in alpha there was "almost" zero chance. But now that it's in beta that "almost" has become "absolute".

Here is a very brief explanation by Tynan (on reddit) why Z-levels won't be included.
https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/35fsin/i_think_the_z_layer_would_greatly_enhance_the/cr40r9i/

I've also merged this thread with one of the many suggestions threads on this subject. As we don't need another standalone suggestion thread for something that is never going to happen.

CannibarRechter

I deeply suspected this, considered that the game already actually uses Z for item layering and motes, and so forth.  While that could be reengineered, it seemed an awful lot of change this late in the development cycle.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Sliderpro

I am against. This will increase complexity of the game development. There are hundreds of things to implement and this functionality is not a critical one. You are always limited by your PC power. Make a second small colony nearby if you need a lot more space. We already have second level (roof) and it is pain in the ass, really xD

Leonidas295

I would be cool to see if you could add layers to more of the world like depth and buildable areas underground like a skyscraper underground
Btw even if this was a dlc I would still buy it
Most Features needed for this to work
Layering of course
Depth changer (button to let you go up and down a lvl)
Stairs or elevator or turbolifts and other things
Underground building
(Side note maybe space exploration and other planetary colonization)

And if I miss anything leave it in the comments
P.S. if you someone else wants to make this a mod that would be sick

Calahan

@ Leonidas - There is no need for yet another suggestion thread for Z-levels. One thread for it and certainly enough, especially since Z-levels are not going to be implemented (at least not unless there is a RimWorld2). As such I have merged your thread with an existing one.

Please use the search function in future to check for existing threads before creating a new one (as per the forum rules). Thank you.

fiziologus

Z-level mostly need for storage. Now storage waste lot base and map space. Creating some kind cellar or loft (quasi z-level via internal container) be very helpfull.

Sorry for revive zombi thread.

Darkmatter

Well, I came here to see if anything happned with the whole Z-Level debate that was going on a least a year ago and I'm sad to see the final decision was a, "no" but *shrugs* what can you do?

I don't know if something like this has already been implemented but if storage room is one of the problems why not create rooms within rooms (like Dr. Who's TARDIS) where you enter a room that switches to a separate screen and that storage room is for all practical purposes within the game, bigger on the inside then on the outside?

Just a thought.