[GRAPHICS REQUEST] Looking for a graphics artist for Mythical Beasts mod

Started by GiantSpaceHamster, January 17, 2017, 03:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantSpaceHamster

I'm working on a Mythical Beasts mod that will add maybe half a dozen or so new creature types to the game and I am looking for some help with the graphics for each as I don't have much experience in that area. Initially I only need graphics for the first creature to get started but I have thoughts on a few more that I'd like to include eventually. The first one up is a dragon.

For those curious, the mod will be aimed at increasing the danger level with some new creatures. For example, dragons will have a very high mining speed and are intended to be a danger to mountain bases above and beyond insect infestations. They have a very large appetite but slumber in their lair when not active.

Current thoughts on creatures to include:

• Dragons
  • Unicorns
  • Nightmares (evil version of a unicorn)
  • Treants
  • Giant Spiders

_-M-_

Sounds cool, if you find me some images to go off of for style I can certainly make them Rimworld-esque

Serpyderpy

I don't want to intrude if this isn't exactly what you were intending but Tammabanana/GreyFluffs have a community project of mythical creatures that anyone can contribute to over here. If you're willing to lend a hand coding wise I'm sure they'd appreciate it, they have some basic coding for creatures already but extra ideas (like the mining bit) would be pretty neat to see. They already have a lot of art ready to go and in need of code, also.

Ignore if this doesn't interest you, though. I like the ideas you have. I look forward to seeing if it progresses!

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: Serpyderpy on January 17, 2017, 09:08:45 PM
I don't want to intrude if this isn't exactly what you were intending but Tammabanana/GreyFluffs have a community project of mythical creatures that anyone can contribute to over here. If you're willing to lend a hand coding wise I'm sure they'd appreciate it, they have some basic coding for creatures already but extra ideas (like the mining bit) would be pretty neat to see. They already have a lot of art ready to go and in need of code, also.

Ignore if this doesn't interest you, though. I like the ideas you have. I look forward to seeing if it progresses!

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take a look and see what they're working on.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: _-M-_ on January 17, 2017, 07:49:29 PM
Sounds cool, if you find me some images to go off of for style I can certainly make them Rimworld-esque

To clarify, are you just looking for a stylistic example, or graphics you can use as a starting point and modify?

If it's the former, I really like the dragon graphic in the Redra mod (steam-only as far as I can tell).

_-M-_

There is no way to modify a creature to fit the rimworld style, I would have to start with rimworld animals and start from there. I just want to know, for example dragons, where the wings would go, colors, tail, face shap, horns if any, etc.

Also I can definitely make something like the dragon in kedra, nice large wings on the back, thin neck. Ill use a llama for the base...

GiantSpaceHamster

Some more context in case it helps:

The dragon type is intended to be challenging for the player, not a potential pet to train or a replacement for normal animals that roam the map. So the pawn should represent that tone. Quadruped with scales, wings, and tail for the basic body structure. I'm not terribly concerned with it looking super scary, but it shouldn't be cute and cuddly.

Whether or not there are horns, large spikey scales along the back, visible talons and teeth, etc I have no strong preferences about. Whatever looks decent given the graphic size we're working with.