Anti-Predator Turrets

Started by hector212121, January 16, 2017, 05:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

Basically, I want all wild predators to be autotargeted by turrets. Or at least a option for it.

It's bad enough I have wild rabbits eating my corn. But panthers and cobras eating my chickens? HECK NO.

Thyme

Where did you learn to have chicken roam freely? Farm animals belong in a farm.
I consider predators actually hunting for their food a neat feature, there should be equally neat countermeasures. Especially in early game, when your colony is not properly set up with weapons and defenses, it is quite dangerous fun to protect your livestock (and pawns!).

Fluffys Colony Manger has a feature that automatically hunts predators in your home zone, which is nice since it takes away micro.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

hector212121

It's just easier to keep them free range. :P

Thyme

I was about to sign you up for the Darwin Award 2017, but you simply turned out to be lazy! ;) Everything comes at a price and laziness usually gets punished. You'll need better arguments to convince Tynan to implement turrets that are set hostile to predators. There's a chance that he modifies defense mechanisms because he created a poll about mortars. Anyway, you might as well ask the modders to come up with something, there're already loads of different turrets. I think you have better chances there.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

JuicyPVP

Quote from: hector212121 on January 17, 2017, 06:01:08 AM
It's just easier to keep them free range. :P

He is right- Keeping your chickens free range (in an animal zone of course) allows grass to feed them instead of you actually needing to provide a farmed food source. Now- I use a wall with a "front gate" (just an opening) and wolfs will come through my gate and eat my chickens. So I do wish there were an option for turrets to kill predators. It would just be a little check box like the hold fire button. Off by default.

JuicyPVP

I might even go one farther and ask for 2 buttons one to auto target predators. And one to kill all non domesticated animals.

schizmo

Auto targeting predators makes them too powerful, there is a reason they are not designed to function this way. But its perfectly reasonable to shoot predators and lure them back towards turrets

Pushover

I think the real issue comes down to how animals pick their prey. You have your chickens next to a wall inside your base. A hungry predator outside your base searches for food, and sees that there is a tasty chicken only 5 tiles away. It then decides the easiest way to get food is to run 100+ tiles around your wall, enter your base, and kill your chicken. Surely there is food that does not require 100+ tiles of movement...

If your chicken was undefended in the open, tough luck, working as intended.

schizmo

Quote from: Pushover on January 17, 2017, 09:34:55 PM
I think the real issue comes down to how animals pick their prey. You have your chickens next to a wall inside your base. A hungry predator outside your base searches for food, and sees that there is a tasty chicken only 5 tiles away. It then decides the easiest way to get food is to run 100+ tiles around your wall, enter your base, and kill your chicken. Surely there is food that does not require 100+ tiles of movement...

If your chicken was undefended in the open, tough luck, working as intended.

Very true. Line of sight (lack of) is an issue that hopefully will be overcome but I imagine it would take a substantial amount of coding to overcome current game logic. It would improve other areas of the game, too, like flanking enemies/being flanked.