Mac Unidentified Developer Bug

Started by zkullz, April 12, 2014, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zkullz

I have the newest update 408 downloaded and I am getting a window ""RimWorld408Mac" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.". Does anyone know about this, Ty told me try the forums because he is not a mac guy.

ibsteveog

On Mac, you have to open the folder containing the game in Finder.

Then right click (if you are using a one button mouse then you have to option click, i think) on the game and click open.

It will let still prompt you that the app is not signed/identified, but you will have the option to run (open) the app anyways.  If you just double-click the app then you get the unidentified warning and no option to actually open the game.

Super annoying on mac...  But it's like this for all apps not from the App Store.

Tynan

It appears to be an attempt by Apple to force you to use their software distribution mechanism and not access the open Internet. Sounds great for them eh?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Famous Shoes

Since this behavior is still presenting, I thought I'd point out this is unrelated to the Mac App Store and nothing to do with open/closed internet, evil empires, or people who burn down orphanages. It may seem like it is, because to submit an app to Apple, one must correctly sign it, so we never see an unsigned app come from the App Store.

Signing an app can done regardless of whether the app will ever be submitted or always distributed elsewhere. It'll feel fairly familiar if you've developed iOS apps and it's a friendly nod to your users since it is how we know if the download has been compromised, e.g., been replaced with a seemingly identical copy delivering a malware payload but otherwise playing normally. Hardly a crisis for an alpha, but certainly something to square away before GA.