Plague unbeatable early game?

Started by PiggyBacon, January 18, 2017, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Ghasty on January 19, 2017, 04:07:12 AM
Yeah, I got the plague a couple times on my latest save. Used full glitter world medicine treatments. No survivors. Such BS, Tyrone really has got to fix this.
Kept them fed and in bed?

tyriaelsoban

The last time i was able to survive plague as tribal with herbal meds was A15, cass dropped a raid on me while everyone was still taking their bedrest.
After the fighting died down i had two standing colonists left (everyone else was either bleeding out, or unconscious from extreme pain), one of them proved to be a bit of a battleaxe and went on to haul each and every one of the others to bed, while the colonist with sanguine and steadfast went on a sad wander ... not kidding, steadfast/sanguine one had a mental break as soon as the bar touched the minor threshold while this guy with pessimist and fast walker went on to treat everyones sicknesses and staunch bloodloss and then pass out from exhaustion infront of a stove cooking his dinner ...

Anyway, this world ive been playing randy/intense with Vindar's Medieval Times and i had a rage moment because the AI infected 6 of of my 7 people with plague, now ive survived a tribal raid of size 30 (with a colony value of 40k) - all of my medics went down with it and it forced me to reload, with early tech i have yet to survive plague even with good tending skills and mid-level meds, medical bay is difficult because ive had to spend all my money on food on the count of living on frozen tundra - money also difficult because randy likes toxic fallout and i have no timber left, so glad i went and grabbed the coal mining mod ... at least my guys wont freeze to death ...

Jarwy

Quote from: milon on January 18, 2017, 09:17:30 PM
I haven't played an A16 tribal game yet, but I assume this breaks tribals then?

I can confirm that my plagued tribal pawn survived by staying in bed for 100% of the time and getting dozed with medicine I had purchased (not herbal). He was in extreme risk for a over one Rimworld day and I think he was really close to dying, but did not. I haven't had any other instances of plague with Tribal starts.

To also clarify, my doctor was only a 5, because the actual doctor was the one who caught the plague, but he "rolled" really well, with his lowest result being 45% or so.

Lightzy

I have to tell you I've never ever lost a guy to plague, even with tribal start.

I dunno what the hell you guys are doing wrong. I stick them in bed and never let them get out, treat them always with a good doctor, even with herbal meds.. that's it! never lost a pawn

mrm

Fighting diseases can be also hard because... idiot colonists keep getting up from they beds and do some work, even if "rest until healed". I found that disabling all types of work in the work tab help to solve this.

eadras

You don't need glitterworld meds or hospital beds to survive, provided you have a good doctor.  Every colony should have a good doctor - and you should protect them by keeping them out of battle, and innoculating them with Penoxycline so they don't get sick themselves.  Herbal meds may not cut it, though... so buy a decent supply of regular medicine ASAP.  Then it's strict bed rest and prompt treatment.  Haven't lost a colonist to plague yet using this formula.

Sola

Plague is rare.  One of many many different events that can occur.
Glitterworld medicine, penoxycyline (instant win), and even medical beds are all available for purchase from assorted traders.

A forbidden cache of glitterworld medicine and penoxycyline should always be in your storage area.  Unforbid glitterworld when the need for it arises, such as with bionic implants, removal of infected body parts, or plague (If your doctor's skill is too low, you don't have a medical bed, blood filtration drugs are not an option, and you're lacking penoxycyline)
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Panzer

Early plague in A16 with only herbal meds is very deadly, it is almost a death sentence for colonists with lowered immunity gain speed.
Had 2 guys get the plague and ordered them to stay in bed, they never left it til they were immune, even with exactly on time treatments (doc drafted besides the bed) I almost lost the 1st tribal, the 2nd guy was 50 and I would ve lost him if I didnt open an ancient danger and shoot him up with luciferium.

If more than 2 guys had gotten sick, I would have lost one. I was pretty surprised there, forced me to take a dangerous gamble with the ancient shrine, but I was lucky and it made for a cool story ^^

This taught me for future tribal runs to either start with a 10+ skill doctor, buy penoxycyline early if I see some with a trader or just yolo it with the ancient shrines like I did before ;D

Panzer

Quote from: Sola on January 19, 2017, 10:01:24 AM
[...] A forbidden cache of glitterworld medicine and penoxycyline should always be in your storage area.  [...]

We re talking about early plague here, with nothing but herbal meds at your disposal.

PotatoeTater

When pawns get plague you need to micro them to stay in bed until they get better. If they just get treated and start moving around they are dead, but the immune boost from being in the bed all day helps them out a lot. I beat plague with a doctor of 5 and herbal meds, granted everyone was like 99% to death but hey it still worked.
Life is Strange

Jarwy

Quote from: Panzer on January 19, 2017, 10:13:16 AM
Quote from: Sola on January 19, 2017, 10:01:24 AM
[...] A forbidden cache of glitterworld medicine and penoxycyline should always be in your storage area.  [...]

We re talking about early plague here, with nothing but herbal meds at your disposal.

I find it very rare to be stuck with just herbal meds in my tribal colonies, though regular medicine is not plentiful. I always prioritize buying at least half a dozen, whatever I can get of the regular medicide and everytime I have the opportunity, sometimes even getting a few pieces from fallen enemies. Plague has never occurred in what I would consider early game.

Thane

I don't know what y'all are talking about. Disease does that and I've had no issues fending it off with even sub-par conditions. Sure lose a few colonists, or tribe members, here or there but hey disease does that. A casualty when they are older or otherwise impaired makes sense without amazing care.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Limdood

Its hard to survive.  It can be done, but its chancy as heck.

One of my priorities ASAP in any game is to snag about 5 penoxycyline.  I'll tend to choose a landing location next to an outlander town, or if random, head to one within 10 tiles sometime in the first 10 days.

Sola

Quote from: Limdood on January 19, 2017, 02:54:16 PM
One of my priorities ASAP in any game is to snag about 5 penoxycyline.

+1.  Randy Random might screw you, but your mom told you never to hang out with that guy anyways.  Sure, an early plague might kill you, but an early toxic fallout or volcanic winter might do the same.  Plagues are uncommon enough such that I've only ever lost a game to it once, and that was in a challenge scenario.  It's not like A13 (A14?) games where heat waves killed tribes, without a single way to counter it.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

GarettZriwin

If you hate colonists getting sick then flee to icesheet or tundra, pretty safe there. :P