What is the game doing when paused?

Started by Rock5, January 23, 2017, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

I'm curious, the game seems to use about the same cpu usage playing as it does while paused. What is it doing when it's paused? No ticks should be happening. Also, why does the cpu use go up when I minimize the game?

To be sure, I opened a game with no mods. While playing normal speed the cpu averaged about 20%. When I paused it it still used about 20%. Then I minimized it, while it was paused, and it used about 45%.

Note: I have "Run in background" enabled. With it disabled it still uses cpu while paused but uses 0% when minimized.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Shurp

That's odd.  When I minimize the game the CPU usage drops.  Then soars back up when I bring the screen back up.  But I play in windowed mode.  Minimizing fullscreen may not actually deactivate the video drivers.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Rock5

I play in windowed mode too. Do you have "Run in background" enabled?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

hoffmale

Quote from: Rock5 on January 23, 2017, 05:44:37 PM
I'm curious, the game seems to use about the same cpu usage playing as it does while paused. What is it doing when it's paused? No ticks should be happening. Also, why does the cpu use go up when I minimize the game?

Well, the game still needs to render the graphics, react to user input, stuff like that. Yes, it doesn't process ticks, so you might get minimally better FPS/lower CPU usage while paused, but not much (since tick processing isn't the bulk of the CPU usage).

To be sure, I opened a game with no mods. While playing normal speed the cpu averaged about 20%. When I paused it it still used about 20%. Then I minimized it, while it was paused, and it used about 45%.

Note: I have "Run in background" enabled. With it disabled it still uses cpu while paused but uses 0% when minimized.

That's weird. How do you measure your CPU usage? Even with "Run in background", the CPU usage shouldn't increase when minimized.

Rock5

Quote from: hoffmale on January 23, 2017, 06:22:14 PM

Well, the game still needs to render the graphics, react to user input, stuff like that. Yes, it doesn't process ticks, so you might get minimally better FPS/lower CPU usage while paused, but not much (since tick processing isn't the bulk of the CPU usage).

Well, it's not like it's a high graphics game. And the graphics aren't even moving when paused. Does the game use the video card gpu processing? I thought that because the graphics is simple, that maybe, yes, the bulk of the processing was game related and not just graphics.

Quote from: hoffmale on January 23, 2017, 06:22:14 PM

That's weird. How do you measure your CPU usage? Even with "Run in background", the CPU usage shouldn't increase when minimized.

I just use the Windows Task Manager. I have it open on my second display while I'm playing.

So did you try minimizing with "Run in background" enabled?
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport