DROP YA QUESTIONS HERE!

Started by LouisTBR, January 19, 2017, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thyme

The closest is about 1AU (150 mio. km) away.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Limdood

So, in a late game, moving a caravan on the world map bogs down my CPU horribly.

I did the Sea Ice challenge, and booked for the ship.  around a year in, the game would stutter horribly if I tried to move the camera while the game was running.  2 years in it was almost impossible to give any orders or move the screen on the world screen while unpaused.

BUT when i paused the game on the world map, the game scrolled easily and smoothly with no stutter or slowdown (until i unpaused)

And to be fair, I abandoned my base and was taking a SOLO pawn across a (admittedly 100% rendered) world.  Theoretically the only thing that the game should have to track at that point is my colonists needs, moodlets, gear, random event chance, and time cycling.

My assumption is that the increased CPU usage stems from raiding pirate bases, stealing, and running, and the game having to track those pawns or bases.

My question is:
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?  LONG caravans/nomadic games bog the CPU horribly while on the world screen?  If so, does anyone have any clue as to the exact cause?

DeathWeasel

Quote from: Limdood on January 23, 2017, 11:04:12 PM
So, in a late game, moving a caravan on the world map bogs down my CPU horribly.

I've noticed that I get significant slow downs when I have certain menus open. Like if I have the needs tab of a pawn open while I am ordering them around the game can get fairly laggy. While the game is paused and the same menus opened I have no lag.

I'm assuming these issues are related. The world map is (as far as I imagine) another type of menu overlay and having it open while the game is running causes the slowdown.

Have you tried closing the world map and having no open menus while the game runs? Just leave the camera watching your long abandoned base while your caravan makes its way across the world.

Limdood

It was an abandoned base....Like...i hit the abandon button.

The base isn't there anymore.

After you abandon your base, your caravans move much much faster (the triple speed button makes a day go by in seconds instead of minutes, since it doesn't calculate ANY random base events (solar flare, toxic fallout, wanderers, etc.)

DeathWeasel

Well, if you're not opposed to testing, try backing up your save and settling a new base. Then, just leave the world map closed while you travel and see if there is any sort of improvement.

Limdood

remember, the game time passes about 10x faster while you DON'T have a base...any actual increase in performance would be completely offset by the immensely reduced simulation time.

Settling a base MIGHT be smoother, but it would also be way way slower, which kind of removes the point of smoothness...