Any plans for bigger maps?

Started by xrumblingcdsx, January 19, 2017, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

You can try my Better Pathfinding mod, which should perform significantly better than the Vanilla algorithm inside of large bases. I don't think it will help much though, because the game avoids making very many pathfinding calls. It's probably the job assignment/think trees for your colonists slowing you down the most, which is also largely avoided by drafting colonists.

makapse

This lag can also be reduced by partitioning your maps into allowed areas and having many of the people in their separate areas. A life cook who only cooks for his entire time can have his room next to the kitchen and his allowed area be room,kitchen,fridge common room and maybe outdoors if needed.

Bozobub

Well, yeah, pathfinding IS probably the single most computation-intensive task your colonists perform, you know.
Thanks, belgord!

LordMunchkin

I prefer smaller maps (even the smallest map gives you enough room for a massive base with the standard amount of colonist). Plus, if you need more resources or room you can always start another colony.

Hieronymous Alloy

A16 can have severe memory issues if you have multiple 400x400 maps.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

Grax

Quote from: Zhentar on January 20, 2017, 03:01:27 PM
You can try my Better Pathfinding mod, which should perform significantly better than the Vanilla algorithm inside of large bases.
It performs better with path rationality but the difference in speed is undetectable with bare eye.

I don't think it will help much though, because the game avoids making very many pathfinding calls. It's probably the job assignment/think trees for your colonists slowing you down the most, which is also largely avoided by drafting colonists.
No, it's only pathfinding.

Bozobub

Give that mod a whirl; I liked it in A15, anyway.  It can make things worse or better, depending, but on average it seems to help colony efficiency a lot.
Thanks, belgord!

Stormfox

I think rebalancing existing features would achieve something better than upping the map size even further:

Make power plants of all sizes cost more and yield more, storage solutions more space-efficient (especially in regards to equipment, which currently takes 1 space per item), reduce colonist needs in regards to room sizes and perhaps resize and merge some furniture and crafting stations (looking at the modders there, too, they tend to add 2-3 tables when 1 would suffice). Perhaps add a lategame way to compact agriculture that is not dependante on so much power and dies when one flare comes.

If you do all that, bases simply do not need to be as huge as they currently are to be able to house 20+ people and their infrastructure. Together with a few more sensible AI choices (like NOT going back home from mining without hauling the stuff at their feet) saving a bunch of unneeded travel (and therefore pathfinding checks), this would smooth out gameplay and make a currently relatively large map like 350x350 feel actually large.

Zhentar

Quote from: Grax on January 21, 2017, 12:35:10 AM
I don't think it will help much though, because the game avoids making very many pathfinding calls. It's probably the job assignment/think trees for your colonists slowing you down the most, which is also largely avoided by drafting colonists.

Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know. I was just pulling that out of my ass, it's not like I've spent many hours measuring & analyzing RimWorld pathfinding performance or anything.

Grax

Quote from: Zhentar on January 21, 2017, 10:48:30 AM
Quote from: Grax on January 21, 2017, 12:35:10 AM
Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know. I was just pulling that out of my ass, it's not like I've spent many hours measuring & analyzing RimWorld pathfinding performance or anything.
Dafaq, i've just enabled it again, see low fps, disabled, load game again and see that low fps again. No visible difference at all.
Maybe it was 20fps without your mod and 22 (oh, maybe even 25!) with it, but this made no sense of difference.

The game's fucked with its pathfinding and can't support more than 70-80 pawns even with mods and nothing will change it while it's single-threaded.

Zhentar

That's my point. It doesn't matter which version of the pathfinder you're using, because the pathfinding isn't what's slowing it down. When there's a problem with the pathfinder performance, it causes a significant pause or stuttering. You can often see it when raids start moving towards your base. But most ticks don't make any pathfinding calls, and most pathfinding calls are for short, easy paths that complete very quickly, so when you're seeing a consistent low framerate, it's not the pathfinder doing it.

DNK

I found that when I greatly increased grass sprites per time from like 9 to 20, it basically halved my FPS... not sure why, that shouldn't really affect performance as they're all identical sprites and this is 2017. Might've been due to the swaying animation - I didn't check that.

alatar

I was using CheatEngine to force game to generate larger maps. 600x600 was playable with mod that made forest real really dense with a lot of animals, game took 2,5-2,9 GB of ram and crash if you save scum too much :) Without that mod and on some not animal rich biome, one could probably go with some larger map.  Ignoring that, play was really fun, i have had to build roads for hunters and trade caravans to even have chance of them to arrive and not die of starvation and predators :)

Grishnerf

this sounds fun :D

but "cheat engine" whats that?
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

alatar

cheatengine.org    It's memory editor, probably you can achieve same effect with some mod but i don't have time for that and just used this tool. In simple steps you attach to rimworld.exe go to map generation screen, set some map size search for the value (only one, it's always square) change to other search for change and so on until you found one address. put desired value and start the game.