Tribal Suicide Cults?

Started by protocol47, January 20, 2017, 12:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

protocol47

Maybe this belongs in bugs, I don't know.

A group of tribals from the Cai of the Cave came to my colony for a visit in what had to be the weirdest way ever. There were only 4 of them visiting, but they were accompanied by literally dozens, maybe hundreds, of their fellow savages. It had to be their entire tribe.
This immediately froze my game, so I saved a new file and reloaded.
The literal cloud of unwashed heathens never advanced into my map. Upon arrival they immediately turned around in unison and filed right off the end of the map from which they entered. In their wake was left 2 distinct groups: the 4 visitors seeking refuge in the luxury resort set up in the middle of my colony, and a group of 8 creepy-ass guys in desert robes.
The 8, as I have come to call them, walked stoically to my hospital. Each silently took a bed (strangely, I had exactly 8 beds in my hospital). I had noticed them, but assumed it was a minor glitch and they were taking the only unassigned beds available. I casually clicked on one of the 8, discovering he had severe asthma. I checked the rest and all of them had severe medical issues. I then assumed they were somehow seeking treatment from my doctors, perhaps an added feature I hadn't noticed in 16.
The 4 visitors who had accompanied the 8 stayed in the resort, interacted normally with my colonists and generally behaving as model guests. They stayed for the normal duration a visitor would (around a day or so), then left without incident. They apparently loved their say, leaving a tidy sum of silver and goods in gratitude.
My colony became preoccupied with other matters, and the 8 were forgotten. It was assumed they would leave with the 4 visitors. This is the part where assuming begins making asses of people.
A few days later I scrolled passed my hospital and discovered a horrifying sight: the 8 were still there, but 5 were dead!!! The remaining 3 were on the brink of death, on the bleeding edge of starvation. Further forensic investigation confirmed starvation was the cause of death in all cases.
I tried to feed the remaining 3 but that was not an option for my colonists. Literally. I could not interact with them in any way, not even to arrest them. The last 3 succumbed to their fate, and my colonists stripped their bodies and solemnly tossed them into the incinerator, as is protocol.
Since then, The Cai of the Cave tribe has stopped by to trade several times, though they have always remained conspicuously silent on the matter. The good people of Skyfall Congress are left to assume that this was all some elaborate ritual sacrifice, or possibly some end-of-life ritual. Frankly everyone is baffled, and a little creeped out, by the whole thing.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Barazen

I hope this gets fixed but also leave this intact. The idea of tribals coming back to civilization to die is quite the story!
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

protocol47

Other than the massive group that popped on the map when they first arrived it didn't break anything, and wasn't much of a disruption. It was just really creepy. They did take up every hospital bed, so if I had a bad raid at the time it could have been an issue. I received no penalty from their faction for their deaths, makes it seem this was all intentional on their part. I get a penalty if 2 of their own people get in a fight with each other.
But worst of all, they all dropped pemmican when they died, which kind of looks like poop when next to a dead body.

Barazen

Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

forestfey

Quote from: protocol47 on January 25, 2017, 07:54:03 AM
But worst of all, they all dropped pemmican when they died, which kind of looks like poop when next to a dead body.
...unintentional and hilarious realism much?

What a strange thing to happen to visitors...
"Despite all our accomplishments, we owe our existence to a six-inch layer of top-soil and the fact that it rains."
_
Klirrend klare Nacht
funkelt durch den Schleier.
Entfaltung nach innen

Jingling clear night
Sparkles through the veil.
Unfolding inwards

A_Soft_Machine_Man

Perhaps this is the start of the Ben Drowned of Rimworld.