[Feedback] Phoebe is boring, Cassandra frustrating

Started by Stormfox, January 20, 2017, 12:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNK

Quote from: Stormfox on January 20, 2017, 12:48:57 PM
My recent plays reinforce the feelings I had about a year ago when I last played a lot:
I find Cassandra exhausting. I like to play slow, fairly relaxed games but with some bite. Cassandra just keeps amping things up with constant raids and disease.

Then there's Phoebe at her hardest, which is just "empty" and almost event-less. I fully agree with the title.

I would really like a mix of Phoebe and Cassandra, which is MOSTLY easygoing (and gives lots of time for recouping after attacks) but then like once a year gives you a perfect storm. So the occasional very light raid, etc, and then a massive pirate/mech attack in a blue moon.

xrumblingcdsx

Switch between the story tellers then. Real rimworlders play Randy Random tho.

Serenity

I agree. Phoebe is too chillaxed. Cassandra can be ok if you're lucky, but also often really brutal. Some middle ground would indeed be nice.

Ukas

Quote from: Serenity on January 21, 2017, 08:32:37 PM
I agree. Phoebe is too chillaxed. Cassandra can be ok if you're lucky, but also often really brutal. Some middle ground would indeed be nice.

So, why not Randy? At times Randy may put you into really demanding situations, like you can have 3 raids, poison ship and a flashtorm in two days, but sometimes there goes a whole season with just cargo pods and stuff.

With Cassandra I don't remeber having more than 12 pawns in my colony, because no matter what someone was killed after that, but with Randy is not difficult to have 40 colonists.

pdxsean

Just to chime in, I also would like there to be a more aggressive version of Cassandra. I feel she's very well balanced (on extreme difficulty) in the first year or so, but quickly the raids become few and far-between from my perspective. After three years nothing feels like a threat even in tribal no-turret playthroughs, let alone if I build a few turrets with a modern tech colony.

Sometimes I'd like an easier storyteller like halfway between Phoebe and Cassandra (as OP suggests) but other times I'd like one halfway the other direction - far more aggressive. As for Randy, I just can't deal with the times when nothing happens. If Cassandra isn't demanding enough, I can't see how Randy would be on a consistent basis.

Catastrophy

Quote from: pdxsean on January 22, 2017, 02:14:03 AM
Just to chime in, I also would like there to be a more aggressive version of Cassandra. I feel she's very well balanced (on extreme difficulty) in the first year or so, but quickly the raids become few and far-between from my perspective. After three years nothing feels like a threat even in tribal no-turret playthroughs, let alone if I build a few turrets with a modern tech colony.

Sometimes I'd like an easier storyteller like halfway between Phoebe and Cassandra (as OP suggests) but other times I'd like one halfway the other direction - far more aggressive. As for Randy, I just can't deal with the times when nothing happens. If Cassandra isn't demanding enough, I can't see how Randy would be on a consistent basis.

I've never tried Randy - I thought that was the most brutal one. I notched up the difficulty on Cassandra and still not enough raids for me. Sometimes I go almost a year without one. I've had a mod that tweaked tradeship frequency once. But it's unloaded and shouldn't be active anymore - maybe there is still something left? Tradeships seem to be rare though. Or maybe she doesn't like sending raids because I recruit too many?
What I frequently have is crop and temperature stuff. She times these niftily to set me back but I got greenhouse and hydroponics. The latter is very often hit with electric failure thing you need to repair. Then I get friendlies trying to deal with the massive infestation I'm experimenting with.
Another thing is I have lots of remains of crap weapons and apparel lying around from the raids. Maybe I need to clear these out before she considers sending more stuff?