Why are all my huskies alcoholics?

Started by Beider, January 20, 2017, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beider

So recently in my colony I started producing beer. This was shortly after I started breeding huskies for hauling, after a few days I noticed a lot of the produced beer got drank. Like A LOT of it.

Yet when I checked all my colonists, they weren't drunk at all. Checked the huskies...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846387690

What the hell? They actually seem to prefer beer over other food, this means that one day old puppies somehow crawl their way into the stockpile, open a beer bottle and get drunk.

I think a change would be good where animals did not go for the booze as a primary food source.

Zhentar

They don't go for booze as their primary food source. They only go for it when they are "desperate" because they're hungry and can't find any actual food.

Animals have a relatively limited range in which they'll look for food. If you don't have food anywhere close to your beer (which it looks like you don't), then when they get hungry near the beer it will be the only option they can find.

Beider

Alright that explains it, guess I better start storing my booze next to my food then instead of in the primary stockpile like I have been doing.

Still find it weird that huskies manage to open beer bottles though.

DeathWeasel

I agree that it makes absolutely no sense for animals to be able to drink beer. I think the game would be far better off if beer were removed from the diet of every animal. For now, though, the best way to avoid animals drinking all your beer is to set up an area specifically for beer and restrict your animals to zones that exclude the beer stockpile.

GarettZriwin

So far beer in animal diet been only annoyance for colony animals and exploit against powerful big animals.

Eric

I once saw a wild turkey that was high on Luciferium (I dunno where it got it from because I didn't have luciferium on me at the time) go beserk and pick a fight with another turkey.

Thirite

Animals/visitors taking your drugs and alcohol was an ill-conceived attempt to balance drugs. In practice it makes no sense and is simply annoying as hell.

Ukas

I have an alcoholic squirrel, none of my twelve huskies drink though. I don't know where it gets its beer though, there shouldn't be any drinks in its zone.

slamo

My canines seem to ignore zone restrictions when seeking beers. I could be wrong though.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: slamo on January 21, 2017, 05:16:05 PM
My canines seem to ignore zone restrictions when seeking beers. I could be wrong though.
Do your colonists drink beer? It is possible that some of them distrac... nuzzle your colonists so they leave bottle on table.  :P

Thirite

I'm fairly certain animals will leave their zones to take drugs and alcohol.

OFWG

Quote from: slamo on January 21, 2017, 05:16:05 PM
My canines seem to ignore zone restrictions when seeking beers.

That's been my experience. Drunk alpacas were funny for a while but sheesh.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Hayhorse

Wait, so monkeys, a primate, shouldn't be able to open beer bottles?

OFWG

Quote from: Hayhorse on January 22, 2017, 02:08:18 PM
Wait, so monkeys, a primate, shouldn't be able to open beer bottles?

I'd be fine with monkeys getting into the sauce, but at least the hooved animals probably shouldn't. :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

DanielCoffey

Alpacas could tread on the whole bottle and just lap it up. Squirrels... maybe they drop a bottle out of a tree and crack it? Turkeys would just have me baffled though. I would suspect colonists giving it to them to see what "fun" would ensue.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit