Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

Rimworld Adventure 6: Industry
Difficulty: Randy Extreme on permadeath
Landing point: Mountainous temperate forest with year-round growing
Scenario: Crashlanded

Starting colonists:

Static: A hard worker with bloodlust.
Notable skills: 6 shooting, 9 melee, 9 medicine, 7 growing. Age 43.

Blackjack: A too smart and neurotic man.
Notable skills: 6 shooting, 8 medicine, 8 crafting. Incapable of art. Age 18.

Ray: A hard working optimist with a chemical interest.
Notable skills: 9 shooting, 8 melee. Incapable of social and animals. Age 30.

A picture of the planet.

Day 0:
As we are building the first shacks for the colonists to live in, Static woos Ray and they become lovers.

Day 3:
Things are progressing very well. We've already sewn potatoes, corn and cotton, along with building rooms for the colonists and beginning work on a refrigeration unit.
I also got the popup to name my colony and faction. I name the faction Hope and the community Industry.

Later that night, a thrumbo arrives. It's time to hunt the biggest game of them all.

Day 5:
The mighty thrumbo has fallen. We shot it dozens of times and it eventually bled to death as the colonists hid inside their shacks. It tried to escape, but Ray chased it, shot it twice, then it died of blood loss.

(Ray also punched the thrumbo).

Day 6:
A glitterworld empath (one of the pacifist backstories) decided to call and ask for safety. No thanks. I don't want pacifist colonists.

Later that day, Blackjack had a berserk rampage and punched a timber wolf, but luckily we were able to kill it.
It was a close call and Blackjack may very well get an infection from his many wounds.

Day 7:
We get our first visitors. I would use the old predator trick, but they have nothing worth taking.

But, despite this, I decided these visitors would be very helpful in killing some of the local predators with me. We killed a timber wolf, and attempted to take out a cougar, but the guests were tragically mauled to death.

Day 8:
More tribals. A pity there are too many to send animals after them.

Day 9:
We get our first raid. It's a single raider with a club.

Unfortunately, because I was distracted due to a phone call, when I unpaused the game I had completely forgot about him. As a result, he managed to steal the thrumbo horn and I only realized he had when he was making his escape.
Screw you Karl.

On the bright side, without the horn, the colony wealth will be lower, and this will mean less raids as a result.

Day 11:
A wander has joined the colony. It's 72 year old Lumi.

She's psychically deaf and neurotic. She also suffers from a bad back and minor artery blockage.

Her notable skills include: 12 shooting, 10 melee, 6 medicine, and 7 animals.

She's not too good, but there are a lot of worse colonists out there cough McDaniel cough.

Later that day, a mad boomrat accident leaves Ray with an eye scar. Her left eye is now 4/10. We'll need to get a bionic eventually.
On top of this, her right eye also had a less major burn scar (8/10). She won't be using her rifle anytime soon.

Day 13:
Oh no. A heatwave alert. This is a forewarning of something worse to come...

On the bright side, the base is coming along nicely.

I also get the alert from the friendly AI, marking the location of the secret ship. It's pretty far away...

(It's very far north on some sea ice).

Day 14:
The heat wave caused a phenomenon I have never seen before. Once the temperature got high, literally all the animals began moving to the edge of the map and left. With the exception of 1 tortoise and an alphabeaver horde the just arrived, there are no wild animals on the map.

Day 16:
The heat wave will pass soon, and nobody has died. But, a blight wiped out our crops. A huge shame since our corn and healroot was at ~75% grown.

Later on day 16...
Another day, another chased refugee event that is getting refused. It's a medieval minstrel who happens to be Static's father. No thanks.

Day 17:
Uh oh. An all melee raid. And even worse, one of the raiders in ramped up on luciferium.

Luckily though, Randy isn't all evil. He also decides to send in 3 friendlies, including the leader of the outlander town.

Tragically though, the outlanders get defeated by the raiders, but the raiders sustained heavy damage.

As I send out my melee squad (everyone except Lumi), our husky, Moxie, gets attacked and killed by a cougar.

My melee squad easily bests the wounded raiders, we dragged a very cut up Erisen back to camp. Static patches her up, then three visitors from her faction decide to come visit.

Right after the visitors, an entire bulk goods caravan from Erisen's faction arrives. Looks like we won a trading party for rescuing her.

Day 18:
We sell a self-tamed wild boar, some clothing off the raiders, and the 3 luciferium. In exchange, we give the trader about 550 silver and walk away with a shoddy charge rifle.
(This wasn't the bulk goods trader, this was the 3 visitors that came first).

But, shortly after the caravan leaves, a band of 3 raiders attacks, including this very well statted raider.

The raiders are pretty well equipped, with an assault rifle, sniper rifle and shotgun. Time to test out the new charge rifle.

Fortunately, thanks to some cover baiting, we won the fight with only 1 assault rifle shot to Static's torso.
Now we have a sniper rifle.

Day 20:
Since Erisen left the map healthy, relations with her outlander faction improved by 65! Wow! We have a new ally now.

Day 21:
A huge tribal raid is coming. This will be a fight to remember.

There are 9 of them in total.

I sent out Blackjack with a sniper rifle, and he went above and beyond. He killed three of them and incapacitated another. We easily disposed of the rest. Good job Blackjack.

And when I say incapacitated, I mean he blew off the tribal's leg. Unfortunately for the tribal, Blackjack gave her surgery and attempted to install a peg leg. During the operation, he "accidentally" gave her 2 surgical cuts to the torso that resulted in her death.

Day 25:
We finally finished researching microelectronic basics and built a comms console. Then, we sold some of the junk we looted from the tribals to a passing combat supplier.

Day 27:
Another all melee raid. Hopefully things will go well.

We take out the raiders and capture one of them. He's incapable of dumb labour, so he isn't getting recruited, but I don't know if I want to release him.
Later in the day a solar flare strikes. A minor annoyance.

Day 29:
An exotic goods ship passed by, and we sold the last of the tribalware and all of the thrumbofur. We still are about halfway to affording a bionic eye. Maybe I should try to recruit an artist.

The colony so far. We are researching gun turrets and using stone blocks to create a hall of death. (Top right).

Day 30:
Ray proposed to Static. Looks like we may be having a wedding soon.

Day 31:
Ray decided to throw a party. This will be a great morale boost for the colony.

Later on day 31...
A chased refugee even occurs, starring the artist I asked for a while ago. I don't think he's worth it though.

Day 33:
An escape pod has landed containing a pretty good colonist. I think he'll make a fine edition to our growing colony.

He's a psychically sensitive jogger with a green thumb.
His notable skills include: 7 shooting, 9 melee, 15 social.
He is incapable of firefighting and cooking.
He has a bite scar and old gunshot wound on his leg, making it 19/30 at best.

Later on day 33...
Another escape pod lands. This pawn is not as good. While his stats are decent, he's a pyromaniac with a bad back.

Shortly after, ANOTHER escape pod. This guy is Blackjack's father, but he's also a pyromaniac. I really hope he doesn't join after we save him.

Day 34:
Screw you Randy. Wakefield joined my group. Ugh.

Day 35:
At least Wakefield will make a good hauler/cleaner. More likely he'll be the head miner.

An exotic goods trader decided to stop by.

Day 36:
After selling some more clothes, we finally had enough silver to buy a bionic eye. Now we just need to install it.

Day 37:
We finally recruited Webb. (It was a 6.6% recruit chance).

Day 39:
A combat supplier has arrived from a local tribe. Looks like they brought attack bears.

And, later that day some thrumbos arrive. It's time for more horns, this time they won't get stolen.

Oh, how the mighty thrumboes easily fall to the machine gun.

This time it was Static who punched the thrumbo.

Day 41:
Lumi decided to throw a party, perhaps in celebration of the thrumbo hunt.

Day 42:
Ray and Static get married. This will be a huge boost to colony morale.

Day 43:
Looks like Randy is crashing the party with a horde of 20 manhunting wild boars. It's time for a pig hunt. With machine guns.

And, even better, they'll have to go through the now completed hall of death.

Later on day 43...
Well, that was a game losing mistake.

What a pity.

Day 44:
Blackjack dies of blood loss, followed by Wakefield. Then Lumi. Then Webb.

A visitor who arrives is killed by the boars before he even sets foot in the colony.

Day 46:
Static's wounds all stop bleeding and he dies of starvation. This is the end.

The ruins of my colony.

This story took up 45 pages on Microsoft Word (mostly because of pictures) and has about 2000 words.

In the end, the merciful Randy held off the bad events, until I decided to fight the pigs, which in hindsight was a huge mistake.
I do think Randy extreme is a lot fairer than Cassandra extreme though. Less crazy raid difficulty spikes and more odd event combos with Randy.

Review of my colonists:

Static:
The hero and most reliable guy in my colony. He did a lot of construction in the early game, then switched to being a researcher. Him and Ray were the main farmers.
Notable skills: 8 shooting, 10 melee, 10 medicine, 8 construction, 10 growing.
Husband of Ray.

Ray:
A pretty good colonist. She was a hunter and good soldier in the early game, but after she got her eye scars she transitioned to a cook and hauler. Along with Static she helped keep the colony fed. She also did a little bit of mining work.
Notable skills: 10 shooting, 8 melee, 7 cooking, 8 growing,

Blackjack:
A super useful pawn. When Static was doing a bunch of research, with the help of the super awesome Too Smart trait, he became our head builder, eventually becoming even better than Static.
Other than that, he was a good soldier and general laborer.
Notable skills: 9 shooting, 9 medicine, 10 construction, 8 crafting.

Lumi:
The stonecutter. That, aside from some hauling, was all she did for the colony. And she was a great help for it. We always had stone blocks. She was pretty decent as a colonist.
Notable skills: 12 shooting, 10 melee, 7 animals.

Wakefield:
The unwanted refugee who sort-of helped. He became a miner and hauler and was a okay-ish pawn.
Notable skills: 8 shooting, 10 animals.

Webb:
The wanted refugee who landed in an escape pod. Despite never being used to his full potential, he was a good miner and hauler. His stats indicated he would make a good soldier, but I never got to see for myself.
Notable skills: 8 shooting, 9 melee, 14 social.

A Friend

Manhunters are easy underestimate. I found out the hard way as well with 30 angry muffalos decimating 3/4 of my colony population. The survivors resorted to drugs for comfort and everyone became a feral drug addict punching each other for the last scrap of yayo.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: A Friend on January 22, 2017, 06:20:40 AM
everyone became a feral drug addict punching each other for the last scrap of yayo.

Ooh... I kinda want to draw that, so I will xD

It'll be of Shoddy Quality, but the idea's amusing soo... yee

Done! Took like 35 minutes to do

Lord_Orion

PotatoeTater

I have to say, my last colony died in year 1 to 20 manhunting muffalos. I underestimated their power for sure. Damn Randy.
Life is Strange

Seeker89

One of my last ones were manhunting Squirrels, 20 of them... it was the speed and those teeth that will still haunt me to this day....

Mikhail Reign

i'm sure Static would have been upset that you condemned his father to death...

(pawns you don't rescue through the 'call for help' popup are killed)

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Mikhail Reign

Well..... what did you reckon the screams that come through the radio are? They are asking for help because they are being chased.

But yeah - when that popup comes up, the pawn is added to the world pawns list. If you reject it, they die.

A Friend

The screams of a 100 yr old tree branch with dementia and other healthy conditions