[A16] DE surgeries (GE)

Started by grifo, January 21, 2017, 02:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grifo

Hi, guys and girls!

INTRODUCTION (Skip it if you dont like to read)

Im a veteran gamer and realism freak and I always install mods that increase challenge, improve realism and add common sense. ACE on ARMA, GWX on Silent Hunter, SS on Total War, Black Ice on HOI3.. Rimworld is a good game it asks for mods, but these mods are not always what we want them to be. First I increased costs in RimFridge and Programmable vents, like it was not enough I took Sozzy`s Deadly Vanilla Weapon Rebalance and rebalanced it to be more realistic and deadly and next I finished up tweaking DE surgery for myself. Since I did some job to put things together I would like to share it with community.  Let me introduce to you a Grifo`s Edition.

DESCRIPTION

This version of DE Surgeries tries to add more sense to research chain and realism level of original mod. It uses all best ideas accumulated in mods like DE Surgeries itself, EPOE and RMS. It removes some content from original mod, adds some new and rebalance an redesign things a bit. Take a look further if you are interested.

FEATURES

• Research tree redesigned to represent industrial era (with branches) and post-industrial era (gliterworld) surgery
  • Some features from original mod, like cure for common illness and parasites were removed
  • New features like surgeries to repairl all major destroyed bones and post-surgery effects were added. These are semi-prosthetic in nature
  • Surgery costs like required time and resources were rebalanced for most surgeries (less resources, more medkits and time)
  • Surgery success chances were rebalanced to represent the difficulty (restoration of hand bone is less demanding than surgery on spine)
  • Fast removal of permanent and fresh injuries is a post-industrial (smart-drug and nanorobotic) operation now. Its costly in medicine.
Continue if you like the idea..

ON DIFFICULTY

• All surgeries require some steel or plasteel, plan your facilities accordingly.
  • Most modern surgeries are designed to be carried out by skilled surgeon with industrial level of medicine in mind, but you are not restricted to it.
Doing surgery with non-skilled surgeon and herbal medicine is an ATTEMPTED MURDER!
Doing surgery with skilled surgeon but herbal medicine is a GAMBLING, like its 1890 behind the window!
Doing surgery with post-industrial medicine is a huge boost to success in any situation!
  • Some surgeries are more dangerous than others, closer to vitals and spinal cord = more danger. Always use skilled, healthy, well-rested and well-equiped surgeon if you are not sure.
  • Most post-industrial surgeries are not even surgires themselves and can be carried out by less skilled personnel but post-industrial medicine is a must!
Mechanite manipulations are still risky and skill demanding.
  • Generally avoid surgeries if you doctor is below level 7-8 and you dont have at least industrial medicine.
  • Dont expect your patients to wake up like new right after surgery. Long post-surgery recovery and some disability is ahead!

COMPATIBILITY AND STABILITY

• For a tweaks of unnoficial update to tweaked out version of abandoned mod made by a modding noob this one should be really stable. Shows no errors in log. Some basic beta testing went without issues
  • Should be A16 compatible as it states
  • Should be old save game compatible
  • Should be compatible with most mods which are not about medicine\surgery. Probably compatible with stock EPOE, since orginal mod is. I would love to collaborate with Rah to make it fully compatible (merge) with his EPOE hardcore edition. I suppose these mods can complement each other perfectly, but currently they can overlap, create plotholes and balance issues and maybe conflicts. Let me know if you have some usefull knowledge on compatibility

POSSIBLE ISSUES

This is my first release and Im not going to be surprised if I messed (missed) something. I really tried out to check and test all major things out, but such a repetitive and time consuming job as modding is asking for small errors. Should not be a big problem if you save your games from time to time. Let me know if you think something works not like it should be.

• Very small possibility for error when surgeon cant operate and wastes his resources right before surgery, probably some vanilla bug.
  • Permadeth players should use it on their own risk ;)
  • BACK UP your savegame before installing this! Just in case!
  • Bad English (not my native language)

CREDITS

Ludeon Studios - for the game
DarknessEyes, Captain_kavern, Aristocat - for the original mod and tweaks. Stock version of mod here! -  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=22120.0
Ykara - for his mods and ideas
Dingo - for the XML database
Various forum members - for their time to share some knowledge
Me - Im not even sure what to post here

DISCLAIMER

• If this release offends someone, let me know. I decided to share my work with community with best intentions in mind
  • This release is not supposed to please anyone. It was made for personal use in the first place. If you want more casual experience and more options please download original version, if you want more
    prosthetic options please download EPOE
  • Feel free to post your feedback and suggestions

DOWNLOAD

https://yadi.sk/d/bndxSdLJ3AD4wT - Use "Скачать" button (small with white background one) to hack your congressman PC download

This is a Russian hosting\email\SE giant similar to Google. Let me know if you have trouble with it.

BlackSmokeDMax

Hey, this looks great! I've always liked DE Surgeries, but like you I think, found it a bit OP. Thanks for doing this!

Prob will wait until my next colony to throw it in, but look forward to it.

Rah

Hi grifo, it looks interesting, I'll check it out later. Good luck with it !

Senio

grifo

Quote from: Rah on January 21, 2017, 09:58:07 PM
Hi grifo, it looks interesting, I'll check it out later. Good luck with it !

This would be most welcomed, since you can have some solid suggestions and ideas on design and find some insects with your experienced eye! :)

deathstar

Hi, first of all thank you very much for taking the time to keep this mod relevant in the absence of the original authors. It's one of my all-time favourites.

I've noticed that, unlike the original mod, you can see all the medical bills as soon as you research them - as opposed to only seeing them when they are applicable. Example: Pretty sure in the original mod you could only see "Repair Spine" if the spine was actually injured somehow. Incidentally, it also showed the resources needed ("3 plasteel no herb" something along those lines).
I know nothing about modding, so I can't tell you how - but is it possible to hide those surgical bills that are not needed for a patient? It gets a bit overwhelming.

Madman666

Hey, @grifo, found some typos there in research project descriptions:
microsurgery def - punctuation = variety of complex surgeries, using microscopes
PostIndustrialSurgery def = Advance in microengineering - (replace Advancements)
PostIndustrialSurgery def = age makes medecine more powerfull
PostIndustrialSurgery def = use DNA codes -> use complex DNA manipulations
PostIndustrialSurgery def = most kinds of wounds

Hope that helps. I am parttiming as an editor - so if you need the help - I'll gladly provide. For balancing - no suggestions for now, I didn't go that far into the game for now) Will post something if it comes up

grifo

Quote from: deathstar on January 23, 2017, 09:13:46 AM
Hi, first of all thank you very much for taking the time to keep this mod relevant in the absence of the original authors. It's one of my all-time favourites.

I've noticed that, unlike the original mod, you can see all the medical bills as soon as you research them - as opposed to only seeing them when they are applicable. Example: Pretty sure in the original mod you could only see "Repair Spine" if the spine was actually injured somehow. Incidentally, it also showed the resources needed ("3 plasteel no herb" something along those lines).
I know nothing about modding, so I can't tell you how - but is it possible to hide those surgical bills that are not needed for a patient? It gets a bit overwhelming.

Hi, deathstar!

I know nothing about modding as you., maybe your skill is 1 and mine is 3. In simple words, one of the mod files contains surgeries list and their descriptions, you can add "links" in these descriptions to another file which contains post-surgery effects and events. Here i met unpleasant limitation of vanilla game. It work with lnks for artificial parts but doesnt work with links for natural parts. Since I really wanted to add post-surgery effects and shattered bone sounds like something that need steel and mechanic repair i decided to design these surgeries as prosthetic. This helps to avoid limitations and sounds plausible.

Next it looks like game lists all prosthetic operations as available as soon as you have target, resources and knowledge for it. So you can break any of your healthy bones and reconstruct it if you are sado-masochist :). In case with natural body parts game lists only damaged organs (body parts). Stock mod uses natural body part mechanic, my edition uses artificial body part mechanic. Im sure EPOE users see overhelming lists as well since that mod relies on artificial stuff. Of course I dont like how it looks as well.

All additional fine tuning and creation of new content for medical part of the game is currently limited by vanilla. Maybe its possible for guys who working on "combat realism" ( just compare file structure of combat realism and DEsurgeries). Definetely its possible for developer and I hope he is looking into this. I see he designed game around idea of fragile human body and weakness and vulnerability of human in such circumstances but any limitation is a kind of bad design imo, especially when game can be played in prolonged sandbox mode.

Yeah I probably deleted required resources description (maybe to make a list at least a bit less overhelming). I will think how to put them back with more charm, maybe in research descriptions? Just make sure your surgery block equiped with industrial medicine, steel and some palsteel for penis enlargement :)

grifo

Quote from: Madman666 on January 23, 2017, 09:27:54 AM
Hey, @grifo, found some typos there in research project descriptions:
microsurgery def - punctuation = variety of complex surgeries, using microscopes
PostIndustrialSurgery def = Advance in microengineering - (replace Advancements)
PostIndustrialSurgery def = age makes medecine more powerfull
PostIndustrialSurgery def = use DNA codes -> use complex DNA manipulations
PostIndustrialSurgery def = most kinds of wounds

Hope that helps. I am parttiming as an editor - so if you need the help - I'll gladly provide. For balancing - no suggestions for now, I didn't go that far into the game for now) Will post something if it comes up

Thanks, Madman!

Keep it up! Since (I hope) these are not game breaking I will wait until some more feedback on design uppears and will update everything at once at spare time.

Madman666

Sure, its always more productive to assemble a list of things to correct and then do it all in a bulk. If I encounter a mistake, bug or a recipe I think could use tweaking - I'll let you know)

Garr1971

Use "Скачать" button?) Thanks, поржал)))

Madman666

Quote from: Garr1971 on January 29, 2017, 01:05:27 AM

Подозреваю, шо часть народу вообще побоится по ссылке переходить из опасения, что их взломают как выборы в Америке))  ;D

Garr1971

Quote from: Madman666 on January 29, 2017, 05:30:22 AM
Quote from: Garr1971 on January 29, 2017, 01:05:27 AM

Подозреваю, шо часть народу вообще побоится по ссылке переходить из опасения, что их взломают как выборы в Америке))  ;D
Да не пугай ты иностранцев)))

grifo

Здорово, чуваки!  :D

Madman666

Quote from: grifo on January 29, 2017, 06:19:09 PM
Здорово, чуваки!  :D

И вам, как гритца, здрям =)