Weapons Damage per Second over Range (Chart!)

Started by slamo, January 21, 2017, 03:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

1. Charge rifle rules supreme, except against swarms where Minigun is good.
2. Heavy SMG, Machine Pistol and Pump Shogun *are* really good in their ranges, and deal noticably higher damage at closer ranges. Effective range is about 10.
3. LMG, Assault Rifle have an optimal range of about 15, then gradually lose oomph.
4. Survival Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Charge Lance suffer up close and need ranges of at least 20 to shine. Yet at ranges 20-30, assault rifle is the most effective except for Charge RIfle which is king up to about 23.

Now the last layers of obfuscation are weapon quality and hitpoints. What's better at range 25, a good assault rifle (79%), or a normal survival rifle (96%) ?
We need some kind of tool which can compare weapons in such scenarios.

Thyme

Quote from: slamo on January 21, 2017, 05:13:44 PM
But overall it performs exactly like a survival rifle over time. 
nope x)

I think weapon hit rates get multiplied with hitpoints. Anyway, it's always good to have higher quality and better condition. When equiping guns, I always manually check the hitrates (not only because I'm too dumb to remember which one is better: good/supr, poor/shoody).
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

slamo

If someone can post the formula for quality and hitpoint effects on weapon accuracy, I can chart a grid of DPS by quality and hitpoints at, say, range 15 for select weapons.

I'm gonna guess that every 10%-15% of health damage roughly equates one quality level but I could easily be wrong.

Quote from: Thyme on January 22, 2017, 10:31:53 AM
Quote from: slamo on January 21, 2017, 05:13:44 PM
But overall it performs exactly like a survival rifle over time. 
nope x)

Yep, as far as DPS is concerned, but nope as far as removing limbs is concerned. Is that more accurate?

Thyme

The following values were taken from the ingame description. lots of short bows/knives were spawned with devtool. Left is guns, right is clubs:
70% - awful - 40%
80% - shoddy - 70%
93% - poor - 85%
100% - normal - 100%
105% - good - 110%
110% - superior - 120%
120% - excellent - 135%
135% - masterwork - 145%
150% - legendary - 155%

I advise against ploting all of that. You'd have to make a three-dimensional plot (excluding condition) which might be misleading. As these values are static among all guns (range is dynamic), it is eventually better to make a separate plot condition/quality where lines of equal hitrate lines are shown. (Guns are choosen by range requirements, individual guns by hitrate - at least, that's how I do it) Melee material also affects cooldown and damage.

slamo

Anything regarding weapon health effects on weapons? I don't have the time to try to decipher it from in-game tests.

EDIT: found it. 100 points of damage multiplies accuracy time .6, so 25 pts of damage multiplies accuracy by .9.

Grishnerf

and now add in the spray pattern of the weapons
and Charge rifles are even FAR more superior to assault rifles in dps.

Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

slamo

Here's Accuracy as a function of Quality vs Weapon Health for a Pistol at range 15.

Rule of Thumb: on average it takes 25 points of damage to a weapon to drop its accuracy by one quality level (a 0.9 accuracy multiplier).

But this is just an average; the actual quality levels are not equal steps. From Normal to Good and Good to Superior is only half the average quality jump; and from Excellent to Masterwork and Masterwork to Legendary is 1.5x the average quality jump.

So actual damage needed to reduce one quality level:

• Shoddy -25 pts = Awful
  • Poor -32.5 pts = Shoddy
  • Normal -17.5 pts = Poor
  • Good -12.5 pts = Normal
  • Superior -12.5 pts = Good
  • Excellent -25 pts = Superior
  • Masterwork -37.5 pts = Excellent
  • Legendary -37.5 pts = Masterwork
However, the maximum accuracy is 100%, so weapons that have high accuracy (Sniper Rifle at Medium and longer) quickly max out when quality goes up.  That means at range 15 there's no difference between an Excellent, Masterwork, or Legendary Sniper Rifle — they are all 100% accurate when at full health. But the Legendary Sniper Rifle could take an astounding 50 pts of damage before its accuracy begins to decline below 100%.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Thyme

I'm not sure if weapon accuracy really caps at 100%. In A15, the hitrate tooltip got weird with excellent sniper rifles and decent skilled colonists. Some effects weren't shown anymore, I think only shooter, but I didn't pay that much attention at this point of the game.

b0rsuk

My rule of thumb:
a weapon of quality ONE level lower needs to have at least 12 more hit points to be more accurate.

It doesn't align perfectly, but it's a good estimate. Awful weapons need even more than 12 HP, masterwork and legendery even less. Fortunately this kind of thing can be checked easily in-game.

slamo

Quote from: Thyme on January 23, 2017, 02:39:13 AM
I'm not sure if weapon accuracy really caps at 100%. In A15, the hitrate tooltip got weird with excellent sniper rifles and decent skilled colonists. Some effects weren't shown anymore, I think only shooter, but I didn't pay that much attention at this point of the game.

Huh. The weapons' info screen shows the accuracy is capped at 100%. But the hit tooltip only displays weapon accuracy when the number is under 100%. Otherwise weapon accuracy just disappears from the tooltip (and maybe from the calculation), but the effective cap still seems to be 100%.

Thyme

Maybe I was lucky to check the tooltip only with nice wheather.

b0rsuk

How did you calculate DPS of burst weapons ? It's a simple matter with single shot weapons, but with burst weapon you can't just add warmup and cooldown times, you also need time between shots.

slamo

Quote from: b0rsuk on January 23, 2017, 01:24:14 PM
How did you calculate DPS of burst weapons ? It's a simple matter with single shot weapons, but with burst weapon you can't just add warmup and cooldown times, you also need time between shots.

I added the burst time — once per burst count.

Burst time doesn't appear to between shots it appears to be at the end of shots.

Alenerel

I thought your chart was with accuracy... Just raw dps isnt useful at all.

About the values, AFAIK the wiki was outdated in A16, which changed a lot of things, mostly ALL of the dps. You should get your data from the game.

Also accuracy between the values given (short-medium-long) is calculated with a basic interpolation. I just emphasize this but its also explained in the wiki.

slamo

I used FORECAST() for the accuracy interpolation between S-M-L. It's a straight line interpolation.

I can do a separate chart for accuracy instead of DPS. I wouldn't find that as useful but maybe other people will.

Raw DPS is plenty useful in certain circumstances.

I currently don't use killboxes but do use a "fire and retreat" method of taking out raids. If I want to know what the optimal weapon for popping out of a door, firing off a burst at range 12, and retreating, then the DPS is what I want.

Similarly if I want to know how a Survival Rifle performs at range 35 compared to a Sniper Rifle then this chart is useful. Same with answering the question of who would win in a range 25 firefight, Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle? DPS at Range helps to answer that.