Differentiating tribal raids: Quirks and specialties

Started by Sinosauropteryx, January 21, 2017, 05:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinosauropteryx

Pirate raids are usually pretty spicy. Sometimes it's head-on, sometimes they're sappers, sometimes it's a siege, and sometimes they drop right on top of you. Sometimes they're a horde of bubble-shielded brawlers, or have multiple rocket launchers in their ranks that demand attention. Each type of raid requires a different strategy.

And then there's tribals. An undifferentiated mass of unarmoured pawns with primitive weapons, every time. So, I propose we spice 'em up.

First, we know the tribes trade with other factions. How about non-primitive weapons and apparel? Not a lot of them, but here and there. Maybe 5% of the raiders are carrying second-hand firearms they acquired from traders. An assault rifle or LMG in the ranks of bowmen might be a higher-value target worth focusing down. You can expect the weapon would be well-worn and of poor quality, so you're not getting a huge loot bonus.

Second, trained combat animals. This would really distinguish tribals from pirates, and give them a little personality. Flavour wise it makes sense, they live in the wilderness and have an affinity for nature. And it would make the combat more varied. A couple elephants or bears, a small pack of wolves or cougars

Third, some different raid types. Pirates have sieges, sappers, and drop pods, so what could tribals do? Well, to build on the trained animal idea, combine a manhunter pack with a few tribal "beastmasters" that throw a wrench in the works. The manhunters wouldn't attack the beastmasters, but otherwise act like manhunters. If a colony normally shuts its doors on manhunters, the beastmasters would threaten to break down doors. To deal with them, you have to send someone outside, which aggros the manhunters. A new challenge.

A suggestion I saw somewhere on the forum was for a tribe to move in and NOT immediately attack. Instead, it would set up a temporary encampment, cut down trees, and hunt animals. Perhaps even start mining. Essentially, it would eat away at the map's resources until dealt with, prompting the colonists to leave their killbox and deal with a larger tribal army out in the open. This one might require a lot of work to implement but I thought it was a nice idea.

On lush biomes, how about the tribals just start a bunch of fires before attacking? Depending on fire preparedness, this may coax colonists out of their base.

Or a simple one, tribal sappers. They wouldn't have explosives, but they should be able to tunnel in just fine.

Thoughts, ideas?
Whole body          RimWorld addiction

Ace_livion

the animal part really would give some extra flavor.
going from early evil squires to wargs, only to top it of whit raid of Elephants and spear-men

I definitely agree.

giving them a kinda theme might help
things like pyro/explosion raiders would make an great challenge, Boomrat pets and Molotov cocktails/grenades. ending up whit a full raid of only triple rockets and doomsdays. really gonna put your wall / sniper to the test.

b0rsuk

I like the idea of war beasts. But advanced weapons, while make sense, would make them less distinct. For tribal chiefs only.

New idea for pirate raids: weapon-based raids. Generate 1-2 weapon types and everyone uses one of these. Imagine a raid of Frag Grenade + Survival Rifle. Machine Pistol + Shotgun.

Keychan

I find the war animals pretty cool. Using muffalos and elephants as their tanks. I proposed ages ago bows could be changed by allowing them to go over walls with horrible accuracy and/or have a new bow that only shoots ignited arrows that do low intial damage. Only tribes use bows, so this will be their type of a 'siege'. Just up close and personal.

FreyaMaluk

animal attack units + 1
tribals could become the most terrifying thread ever.... I like that!

Barazen

Oh yes.... maybe dress up their attack animals in warpaint? That would be cool... give tribals a buff while in combat and debuffing your guys?
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.