[1.0] Expanded Incidents (2018-10-30)

Started by System.Linq, January 21, 2017, 11:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That Homeless Guy

There's a few things to bring up after using this for a while.
This mod has been a real balancing on the fence sort of deal for me. I've so nearly uninstalled it so many times. Though I haven't (yet).

1. The thief is bugged or at least the invisibility is.
a) The thief becomes visible but cannot be clicked on when spotted.
b) The thief can be seen by Wild animals. (The last one was eaten by spiders)
c) After being spotted the thief vanishes when attacked. He becomes clickable at that point but if he is holding your loot then that becomes invisible and then drops on the floor. (Single stack Items don't all have text below them either so they basically vanish until you reload the game).
d) His corpse remains invisible.

Personal Notes/Opinion:
1. I don't see any reason for the thief to be invisible in the first place.
2. I certainly don't see a good reason for him to stay invisible in a brightly lit hallway with a colonist at each door and nothing to hide behind.
a) Maybe make his visibility dependent on if he can be seen by a colonist altogether and then increase his chance of staying invisible if he's beside a tree or bush or standing in crops or something.
3. To be more clear on my first point. Since the game doesn't notify you of his presence and he can't be selected I find it hard to find him even after someone spots him. The fact that the game notifies you to where he is when spotted makes sense as if you didn't spot him yourself you can then locate him by clicking the message.

It just feels broken and he showed up and stole my handful of components 3 times in a row within the first 10 minutes of starting a save. I ended up just giving myself double components to get past that first event. It feels really unbalanced as it is. There is no reasonable way to deal with it like you need to be doubly lucky, lucky enough to get within visible range and lucky if he becomes revealed. But even eliminating the lucky to get within visible range still leaves the frustrating lucky if he becomes revealed. It seems to me that a thief isn't going to get past an open area surrounded by turrets with a single entrance and no cover for 20 blocks but hey there goes most of my glitterworld medicine I just payed for.

I haven't encountered the rest of the incidents yet except for the sabotage one. Never found out who it is though. Though I don't know if this is intended but I think I watched my ONLY colonist break his own shit and then repair it right away after. Is it possible for your only colonist to be a sabateur? Or was this just a coincidence?

System.Linq

Quote from: That Homeless Guy on November 01, 2017, 12:42:43 AM
There's a few things to bring up after using this for a while.
This mod has been a real balancing on the fence sort of deal for me. I've so nearly uninstalled it so many times. Though I haven't (yet).

1. The thief is bugged or at least the invisibility is.
a) The thief becomes visible but cannot be clicked on when spotted.
b) The thief can be seen by Wild animals. (The last one was eaten by spiders)
c) After being spotted the thief vanishes when attacked. He becomes clickable at that point but if he is holding your loot then that becomes invisible and then drops on the floor. (Single stack Items don't all have text below them either so they basically vanish until you reload the game).
d) His corpse remains invisible.

Personal Notes/Opinion:
1. I don't see any reason for the thief to be invisible in the first place.
2. I certainly don't see a good reason for him to stay invisible in a brightly lit hallway with a colonist at each door and nothing to hide behind.
a) Maybe make his visibility dependent on if he can be seen by a colonist altogether and then increase his chance of staying invisible if he's beside a tree or bush or standing in crops or something.
3. To be more clear on my first point. Since the game doesn't notify you of his presence and he can't be selected I find it hard to find him even after someone spots him. The fact that the game notifies you to where he is when spotted makes sense as if you didn't spot him yourself you can then locate him by clicking the message.

It just feels broken and he showed up and stole my handful of components 3 times in a row within the first 10 minutes of starting a save. I ended up just giving myself double components to get past that first event. It feels really unbalanced as it is. There is no reasonable way to deal with it like you need to be doubly lucky, lucky enough to get within visible range and lucky if he becomes revealed. But even eliminating the lucky to get within visible range still leaves the frustrating lucky if he becomes revealed. It seems to me that a thief isn't going to get past an open area surrounded by turrets with a single entrance and no cover for 20 blocks but hey there goes most of my glitterworld medicine I just payed for.

I haven't encountered the rest of the incidents yet except for the sabotage one. Never found out who it is though. Though I don't know if this is intended but I think I watched my ONLY colonist break his own shit and then repair it right away after. Is it possible for your only colonist to be a sabateur? Or was this just a coincidence?

Thanks for your feedback.
1. Have you had these problems consistently or does it break intermittently?
1c. That's just hilarious. Come on.

1. The thief is invisible because they are sneaking. It works exactly the same as goblin/kobold thieves in Dwarf Fortress: they are invisible until spotted by your colonists or animals, and then they appear (with a message) so the player can react to them. If anything, the event would be frustrating if you could see the thief, because your colonists cannot -- you wouldn't be able to order them to attack the thief, or impede them, since they don't know the thief is there. There's no reason for them not to be invisible. That said, the thief still leaves footprints when they are walking around, so it's possible for a particularly alert player to spot and track them.
2. The chance to spot a thief is random and things like colonist visual acuity & the lighting brightness in that square are both taken into account in that chance. Two colonists in a brightly lit hallway are much more likely to spot a thief than one with cataracts in the darkness. Turrets also have a low chance to spot the thief.
3. Yes. The game tells you where they are when they are spotted -- the letter should point straight at them.

The last thief I remember was spotted by assembled members of a raid from a (different) enemy faction when he attempted to move through them -- he became visible right in the middle of all of them and was promptly obliterated. It was great.

Saboteurs are selected from your own colonists. You should not get any saboteurs unless you have a number of colonists and they will never be selected from your original colonists (usually from colonists recruited as prisoners). You can either figure out who the saboteur is and arrest them, or they may reveal themselves when you are raided.

System.Linq

Updated to B18.
-Thieves now get twice as many checks to be spotted as before.

killermen962

Is this compatible with ongoing colonies?

killermen962

That moment when a theif is spotted by a your pet boompalope and he fucking hit it ONCE and it detonates on stockpile. What makes it worse is that there was about 1k chemfuel there so you can imagine what you've done to my colonies wealth in 1 second.

What a lose/lose situation, not even his body remained :|

Billy

I just disable the incident at the start of every game because he always runs away with components, I have only ever once spotted a thief and that was on an island map... Best just to disable that event because in my personally opinion it is way to hard.

Canute

killermen962,
what is the worst thing ?
That the thief hit that hard to let the boomalope explode or that you allow your boom-pets to roam around your stockpile/base ?
I would seperate these dangerous animals in some extra room, and only allow the male pet to come out during combat as moving bombs.

System.Linq

Quote from: killermen962 on December 06, 2017, 10:00:49 AM
That moment when a theif is spotted by a your pet boompalope and he fucking hit it ONCE and it detonates on stockpile. What makes it worse is that there was about 1k chemfuel there so you can imagine what you've done to my colonies wealth in 1 second.

What a lose/lose situation, not even his body remained :|
Haha, come on, what a classic Rimworld story. That tale alone is worth the mess.

Malacai

Hey, i checked my debug log earlier and your mod threw some errors.

https://gist.github.com/0079a76c3373c993527b45423a5e887e

I was checking because suddenly my cook was able to make meals out of thin air without needing raw food for it. This happened right after a visitor detected a thief on the run. Not sure if that has something to do with it or not, but it made me notice the saboteur error in the log.

Edit: It could be that the error occured because your mod couldnt find a person to pick as a saboteur, since i recruited all my colonists via Hospitality mod or they joined after rescuing them from an escape pod, without taking them captive.

killermen962

So how does the sabotage event work exactly? Is there a official notification that "Colonist" is a saboteur? Or am I supposed to watch them to see if they do something to a device and exile them? I've had about 9-12 breakdowns in one quadrum and I cant find out who is doing it or how to root them out.

Edit: Does social standing determine anything about who will be the saboteur? Or could it literally be my main pawns wife since the first quadrum of her joining?

And how long does it take for a saboteur's work to take effect on the device they hit?

Harry_Dicks

A dream scenario of mine is for Linq to fully expand the entire "clique" event into a whole mod the size and scope of Psychology ;D

I'm dreaming of gang vs gang social tension. One gang has the mayor on their side, so the other gang has finally had enough and stages a coup! Suddenly the colony is in the middle of a civil war! The player must choose only one side to control, and try to wrest back control of the colony from the rebels! Mix in some "Rumors & Deception" and some kind of brutal revenge/humiliation/domination incident and MAN THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!

System.Linq

Updated to B19.

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 09, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
A dream scenario of mine is for Linq to fully expand the entire "clique" event into a whole mod the size and scope of Psychology ;D

I'm dreaming of gang vs gang social tension. One gang has the mayor on their side, so the other gang has finally had enough and stages a coup! Suddenly the colony is in the middle of a civil war! The player must choose only one side to control, and try to wrest back control of the colony from the rebels! Mix in some "Rumors & Deception" and some kind of brutal revenge/humiliation/domination incident and MAN THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!

Yeah... unfortunately that's not really how I play the game. I like all my colonists. This isn't Prison Architect; I view them as reasonable, generally agreeable people and valued members of the colony. Not gang members.

raydarken

Miss this mod! Looking forward to 1.0 on this!