[1.0] Inspiration (v1.0.0) Faster skill progression

Started by Nitrodev, January 23, 2017, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitrodev

Inspiration aims to make colonists skills level up a bit faster by giving them moments of inspiration.

INSPIRATION SHOULD WORK WITH OLD SAVES.

New events:
- Inspiring dream: A colonist had an inspiring dream and was given 200 xp to a random skill that has a level below 20. This gives also a thought of "Had an inspiring dream" which increases the mood of a colonist by 5 (does not stack) This event has two days of cooldown.
- Inspiration: This event fires when a colonist is doing a bill, mining, viewing art, doing joy activities, watching TV or constructing. It increases a random skills level by 1 as long as the skill is below 12. If the skill is 12 or above then 7 500 xp is given.

New trait:
- Inspiring: This allow a colonist to inspire others to gain xp in a skill, but only in skills where the colonist with the trait has a passion or a level above 10.

New social interaction:
- Inspired: This colonist inspired another, making the inspiree(?) get 500 xp in a random skill. (This interaction gives the opinion of "chitchat" to both the inspiree and the inspirer but this will most likely change in the near future.)

Changelog

[b]Ported to 1.0[/b]

B18 Version 1.1.0
FINAL MAJOR UPDATE (see my reply for more info)
*Translations added. (Will countinue adding languages eventually. If you want to see the texts in your language, tell me about it.)
*Mod settings to configure the xp given from the social interaction 'inspire' and the 'inspiring dream' event.
*Typos fixed.
*Bugs fixed.

B18 Version 1.0.6
*Fixed a bug where the game didn't recognize the events.

B18 Version 1.0.5
*Fixed a bug.

Version 1.3.0
*Made the Inspiration event to be triggered by watching TV, doing joy activities and viewing art.
*Fixed a few bugs that i forgot to fix while porting to A17, sorry about that.

Version 1.2.5
*Fixed the bug where i left the chance of a pawn inspiring another at 100%, i have changed this to 20% (same as chitchat).
*Colonists with the inspire trait will only give inspiration in skills they have a passion or high level (over 10).

Version 1.2.0
*Added a social interaction called "Inspire".
*Added a new trait "Inspiring"

Version 1.1.0
*Made the Inspiration event have diminishing returns. Check the mod description of more info.
*Made the Inspiring dream event have two days of cooldown after each time it fires.
*Fixed a bug.

You may make translations of this mod.
You may also use this mod in any modpacks without asking my permission.

Thanks to:
Erdelf
MarvinKosh
And everyone at the Rimworld modding community.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/st9gea0mi74cf6v/Inspiration%5Bv1%5D.zip?dl=0
Workshop:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1264593530
Author of Inspiration

Also check out Absolutely No Roof

Nitrodev

Update 1.2.0 is out!

Sorry for the long wait there, i had work stuff to do but i have two new features for the 1.2.0 version of Inspiration.

Added a social interaction called "Inspire".

Added a new trait "Inspiring"

Next update will most likely involve bug fixing and/or balancing.
Author of Inspiration

WereCat88

I like the idea of this mod but i think it would be better if instead of getting a random skill level or xp for a skill, the colonist would get a temporary xp gain boost (10x), and only on skills with passion, the higher the passion the higher the chance to get inspired.

Also in connection with the first one, colonists with the inspire trait should only give inspiration in skills they have a passion or high level (over 10).

Also on average how often does the inspiration event occur? (5 days, random?)

You don't need to give a shit about this suggestion, it's just my opinion.
I am The Primal Mammelon

Nitrodev

Thank you for your reply WereCat88. I always will at least consider any suggestions that i like and that seem to fit in the mods theme.

Quotecolonists with the inspire trait should only give inspiration in skills they have a passion or high level (over 10).

This suggestion is something i wanted to be on the inspiration event as well.

QuoteAlso on average how often does the inspiration event occur? (5 days, random?)

Looking at the debug tools, it seems to be random.
Author of Inspiration

AngleWyrm

Software engineering tip: Diminishing Returns is ALWAYS a bad idea, don't model it in-game. It is a misconception of a multi-dimensional quantity, being modeled on top of the unobserved and has produced tragic outcomes for every example where it has been tried.

This is an example of what happens: Diminishing returns for experience toward level-ups. The developer then creates "harder" encounters because killing a bajillion rats isn't fun. That becomes impossible to balance between one kill and a million, and so the developer abandons the project, giving level-ups as quest rewards or end-level boss fights.

Whenever the idea of diminishing returns comes up, think of water pouring onto a flat surface. The steady stream seems to make the pool grow slower over time. It is the area that is growing slower, a 2-dimensional quantity from a 1-dimensional stream.

Diminishing returns is a clue that you are thinking about something with two variables in it.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Nitrodev

A month, that's how lazy i am... Sorry.

A new update to Inspiration. 1.2.5 bug and balance update is out!

Fixed the bug where i left the chance of a pawn inspiring another at 100% (same as chitchat).

Colonists with the inspire trait will only give inspiration in skills they have a passion or high level (over 10).
(Thank you to WereCat88 for this suggestion.)

i could not make it so the pawn gets a opinion buff from being inspired, but i will fix that.

This mod is pretty much done as far as features go. But if you have any suggestions and/or bug reports, please notify me about them.
Author of Inspiration

Nitrodev

A17 is out. Which means that so is Inspiration!

Have fun!
Author of Inspiration

ZE

as an artist you know what i find inspirational? observing other people's works of art, as a coder im inspired by observing interesting effects in video games, as a writer im inspired by interesting stories in movies videogames and in print

one could argue inspiration can be drawn from anywhere, perhaps this mod could be expanded?

- Art
- Watch tv
- other joy things (give you a reason to let a pawn "joy" other than staving off rebellion)

Razzoriel

Game developer here. Coming here to completely debunk this BS notion.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 05, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
Software engineering tip: Diminishing Returns is ALWAYS a bad idea, don't model it in-game.

The best games ever done by the gaming industry always, and I mean, ALWAYS had some sort of diminishing return mechanic in it. It is the best mathematical and statistical method to prevent exploits, overspecialization (and, following, overpowered) in mechanics and is grounded on the curves that make part of our daily life.

Want a good example? Let's say you want to learn a foreign language. And let's assume you're taking a course and practicing it. If you know NOTHING from the language, and immerse yourself in it for two months, you'll dabble in it, and will understand core notions and structures. Now, let's say you already know a thing from this same language, and you can understand something from it. If you take this same amount of effort and apply it to yourself, the difference in skill you have from someone who never had contact with this same language is huge. This is why also, for instance, a master linguist in this same language that might have studied it for his entire life will not speak much better than a foreigner who took into learning it for a decade; diminishing returns. Let's say, the thirty-year gap in knowledge does not translate into knowing four-times more a language.

This applies to every skill you learn in life. Diminishing returns replicate this phenomenon by applying a variable resistance to experience, as in, the more you have, the less the gain per unit you have.

In Anglewyrm's example, killing bajillion rats, lazy software engineers create xp boosts and level-ups from quests. Good software engineers create challenging situations to prevent players from farming from rats. And in the same example, water filling a surface is a very bad example. Filling a pool from zero to one hundred is a quantity-based sum, and you can't compare that with knowledge. It is the same as trying to compare your work as a plumber with a structural engineer.

I have saw you talk a lot of bullshit in the forums from time to time, but this takes the prize as the biggest pile of horsemanure i've seen in a while. I respect Tynan as a developer because he did exactly what plenty of other developers should be doing; take what worked in the past and reapply it in more modern applications. Obviously, he makes mistakes IMO in his design proccess (such as weapon switching being "too code-intensive"), but no one is perfect, and he is the owner of the project, so he will of course have a much better long-short term view of what is archievable and what is not.

tl;dr -> Diminishing returns is awesome, but incompetent people make incompetent decisions and destroy good concepts.

Nitrodev

New update because new features were suggested to me by ZE.

Made the Inspiration event to be triggered by watching TV, doing joy activities and viewing art.

Fixed a few bugs that i forgot to fix while porting to A17, sorry about that.
Author of Inspiration

wwWraith

Imho the Inspiring dream event deserves a some buff. It seems to be rather rare actually, and 200 xp is like nothing.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Beathrus

AngleWyrm

Quote from: wwWraith on June 18, 2017, 03:09:24 PM
Imho the Inspiring dream event deserves a some buff. It seems to be rather rare actually, and 200 xp is like nothing.
That's what happens when tiers and levels are designed with a non-linear cost; the dev/modder doesn't recognize that there's a difference between buying a second tank and buying a 100th tank. The counter to the obsessive manufacture of non-linear growth functions is to express buffs as a percentage of level xp.

For example, make the buff 1/20th of what is needed to gain a level, no matter what level. This would have to be done as a patch, because anyone who designed an exponential cost function will pretend they invented the concept, and refuse to alter the formula. It's like a religious imperative to them.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

SpaceDorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on October 08, 2017, 06:23:36 PM
because anyone who designed an exponential cost function will pretend they invented the concept, and refuse to alter the formula. It's like a religious imperative to them.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.