Permanent Colony's?

Started by ChuggingClorox, January 23, 2017, 03:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuggingClorox

Hey all,
I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on expanding options and adding new mechanics for sustaining a permanent colony as opposed to escaping the planet and do you think these things will ever be added to the core game?

WereCat88

You can stay on the same map all you want, and you can make other colonies in the world, there is no time limit on how long you can stay on one map (i think) as animals will always come back (unless your base is the whole map, or on sea ice) and minerals should last you until mid-game (on a normal map), from there you could invade other bases and make your colony there and so forth.

I have the Set-up camp mod from Nanodalt so i don't know but weren't you able to also settle on an empty tile?

Also to do that you should up your max colonies because they are set to 1 as default and you can't settle elsewhere if you don't change it to more than 1.
I am The Primal Mammelon

ChuggingClorox

Thats how i play currently i just thought it would be useful to add buildings and whatnot to the game that didn't feel so temporary, some stuff for more permanent arrangements without the game constantly suggesting you need to escape the planet.

WereCat88

Yes but you don't need to you can just keep fighting raiders as there is no other goal than getting off the planet.

And what would be that stuff for permanent arrangements?
The only thing i could think of that could have a permanent arrangement on the map is some way of infinite minerals over time (which is unrealistic as all minerals will deplete with time) as you can grow all the crops you want, grass will grow, trees will grow and animals will come back
And i don't understand how they feel temporary?
I am The Primal Mammelon

Grishnerf

for me a permanent world means =

you can start a new base on the same planet and trade with our old colonies
or fight them, raid your own created bases etc...

this would be a huge leap Forward to gameplay and Immersion.
whole playthroughs can just be that:
to create your perfect enemybase and then play with your main colony against that.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

WereCat88

Oh so by more permanent you mean that if you leave your current colony the colony would still be a thing and a raider faction could take it or even form a new faction with remaining colonist and be independent and stuff like that?
I am The Primal Mammelon

KingKnee

Quote from: Grishnerf on January 23, 2017, 03:44:21 PM
for me a permanent world means =

you can start a new base on the same planet and trade with our old colonies
or fight them, raid your own created bases etc...

this would be a huge leap Forward to gameplay and Immersion.
whole playthroughs can just be that:
to create your perfect enemybase and then play with your main colony against that.

I've always believed that escaping seemed to be an imperfect late game. I would much rather see the game focused on "winning against" or "surviving" the other colonies. A game setting where you're NOT getting off the planet and have to make the best of it. With a lot of quests, things you do to help the other colonies, such as survive a drought, an incoming raid, a famine or such. Send your best space fighters to fend off against 50 tribals trying to tear down your friends. We need more quests, imho. 

LordMunchkin

I hope, one day, we get the option to travel to other planets (other rimworlds).

Limdood

before the interactive world was added, I made a suggestion for a win condition of "become an outlander town"

Basically you achieve a certain, "at least as hard as making a ship" level of prosperity, population, and duration, and you could click "win"

The benefit would be that you could play the same WORLD and have another faction to interact with - which would make the game feel more continuous.

With the way the world map is set up now, it would be even EASIER to implement that, BUT less of an impact, as theoretically there would only be one base for the faction.

WereCat88

This has me thinking that there should be other goals before getting off the planet or other goals in general, like global events that turn into goals or side-goals, for example an ultimate faction comes and tries to take over the planet so you make aliances and fight that faction till its destroyed or get off the planet by paying, or a devastating event like a mass extinction or an asteroid that would force you to move colony, or a viral disease.
I am The Primal Mammelon

ChuggingClorox

ohh man i really like that idea maybe a more established rimworld nearby civilization has their current planet destroyed or a natural event makes it impossible for them to live there so they aggressively expand to the rimworld your on to take over kind of a join us or die thing and you have to fight back or choose to join or whatever.

O Negative

When I think permanent colonies, I think:

- Established colony, self sufficient
- New generations of pawns born through reproduction (*highly debated)
- End goal of peace. Destroyed raider bases all over planet. Mechanoid production ended. Healthy faction relations.

Just my 2¢ :)

ChuggingClorox

Quote from: O Negative on February 04, 2017, 12:28:14 AM
When I think permanent colonies, I think:

- Established colony, self sufficient
- New generations of pawns born through reproduction (*highly debated)
- End goal of peace. Destroyed raider bases all over planet. Mechanoid production ended. Healthy faction relations.

Just my 2¢ :)

yah there just needs to be a way to make the game feel like its not trying to rush you off the planet in my opinion, id really like to see reproduction in the game and a way to set up a classroom and teach them to do certain jobs which i guess would have to be a large colonys late game since youre investing time into raising a new generation of kids for your colony and it wouldnt take a small amount of time and would require a way to find renewable resources for them to use when they are the ones running the colony probably mostly through trade id assume at that point or some crazy expensive time consuming advanced research to fabricate an alien plant fiber into some kind of metal weave material that replaces steel when the time comes that youll probably need it.

Jstank

I think that once a persistent world gets implemented into the base game, there should be a dwarf fortressy option to "retire the fort" It gives a message that the colony will continue to operate "beyond your particular concern" and so will become a permanent colony in the world.

I think that that fort should be saved on the world so on a different embark will act as a seperate faction in the world which you can trade/ally/go to war with.

However as right now there only one world per one playthrough so you can't replay a world as a different fort. It would be very cool to go in and attack the fort that you built with a different faction. The AI would just assume control of the colonists and the fort will be just as you left it. You will just be the raider with a new faction. I think that is what the original poster had in mind with a permanent fort, something that sticks in the world and can be revisited later by the player.

The game isn't quite ready for that yet but it is a cool idea!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Trentennisfigati

sorry for necroposting, but I really love this idea and didnt found much talk about this elsewhere.
I'd love to keep the world after I die and restart with another colony, maybe interact with them or find their ruins!