[A13] Food Preservation 1.2 Now with Nutrient Nuggets! (6/5/2016)

Started by Loki88, October 24, 2015, 12:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you use the most?

Smoked Meat
5 (17.2%)
Dried Berries
2 (6.9%)
Ration Packs
10 (34.5%)
Nutrient Nuggets
3 (10.3%)
Equal Use Mostly
7 (24.1%)
A Few Things Together (please comment to specify)
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

patbiker

Hello.It seems that the link to download the mod is broken can you fix it?please? thank you.

dareddevil7

Maybe have the description for the thought about rations be "It tasted dry and flavorless"

M00nStalker

This is something I've missed in Rimworld, we basically have to have a freezer to avoid cooking (making) food pretty every day year-round. This is not how things worked before refrigeration, fresh foodstuff was salted, sugared, dried, smoked, pickled, lyed, jugged (different from canned), brined, fermented, jellied and later canned and pasteurized. None of this is reflected in Rimworld and I've always found it strange, food preservation is one of the basics of survival and Rimworld would be well suited by just adding a few of those methods (drying, salting, smoking) to make things more interesting and realistic. Something like that could make the seasonal changes more pronounced as well, in the old days winter was not the time you gathered food, generally. You ate the food you stockpiled during the rest of the year.

Good job, I will be watching this mod. If you want any technical information say the word, it's an area of interest for me.

Loki88

New food! Nutrient Nuggets

Adds "delicious" nutrient nuggets. Just as food efficient and nutritious as their gloopy older brother Nutrient paste, but now dehydrated and vacuum packed in bite size nugget form! Never decomposes as long as they're kept inside.

Carries the same level of mood penalty as Nutrient Paste.

Nuggets stack to  100.

It's strait up kibble for people...

Loki88

New poll to help me get an idea of direction to take this mod. I'm trying to keep the foods some what generic in the sense that I don't wind up with a bunch over specialized foods.

AllenWL

Tried making ration packs.

It had two 'rot timer's on it.
One on top showing the '4(?) days till rot' of normal meals, and another on the bottom, showing the '160 days til rot' that it should have

dismar

Quote from: Loki88 on May 06, 2016, 02:13:51 AM

Adds "delicious" nutrient nuggets. Just as food efficient and nutritious as their gloopy older brother Nutrient paste, but now dehydrated and vacuum packed in bite size nugget form! Never decomposes as long as they're kept inside.

Nuggets stack to  100.

Like from McDonald's? those thing never go bad lol

Loki88

Quote from: AllenWL on May 07, 2016, 08:59:09 PM
Tried making ration packs.

It had two 'rot timer's on it.
One on top showing the '4(?) days till rot' of normal meals, and another on the bottom, showing the '160 days til rot' that it should have

Thank you! I realized I derped with the parent name for rations and gave them the rottable meal parent instead of just meal base.

Please re-download link from original post (I fixed that one) or from this message since I will attach it for convenience.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Loki88

Quote from: dismar on May 07, 2016, 09:17:48 PM
Quote from: Loki88 on May 06, 2016, 02:13:51 AM

Nuggets stack to  100.

Like from McDonald's? those thing never go bad lol

Even better than McDonald's! they're green! (happens to my favourite colour) and can be made from anything edible (not just mystery meat)

AllenWL

All my colonists are currently eating man-kibbles.
Currently, we have 400+ man-kibbles, and that's when our only sustainable source of food is a 3x3 strawberry farm in the boreal forest.

Loki88

Quote from: AllenWL on May 07, 2016, 10:26:05 PM
All my colonists are currently eating man-kibbles.
Currently, we have 400+ man-kibbles, and that's when our only sustainable source of food is a 3x3 strawberry farm in the boreal forest.

I made food cost the same as nutrient paste from an NPD. They should be using 6 per meal... It was meant to be a very efficient food source but not THAT efficient...  ???

I suppose I could lower the nutrition level so that they have to eat more of them.

AllenWL

Actually, I should clarify some things.

There are around 4 people in the colony(roughly. Some die or get kidnapped every now and then).

The 3x3 strawberry farm is the only constant source of food. We do sometimes forage from berry bushes or get some food-drops, and had a manhunter muffalo pack once, so the 3x3 farm isn't our only source of food, it's just the most reliable one.

The 3x3 farm gives enough food to be a stable source of food(meaning about enough to feed our crew of 4 till the next harvest), and I have the bill set to 'make forever' so every surplus food we get is stockpiled as man-kibbles, giving us this ridiculous amount of food.
Also, every raid, the dead raiders drop about 3 meals each as well, so that also helps in stocking up the man-kibbles.
In fact, we can probably ditch the strawberry farm and eat nothing but berries from berry bushes and the odd manhunting animals and still stockpile a few hundred kibbles before winter.

We now have about a 100 days worth of food in a 2x2 stockpile, and I haven't even built a freezer yet.

I think the biggest thing with the man-kibbles is now space and time efficient it is. Since it stacks to 100, and can be made in batches of 10, it's rather easy to make tons of it and store them forever in a compact space without ever getting a freezer or anything.

I think if you remove the 'batch' recipe so you can't turn like, 600 units of meat into kibbles before they rot when they're sitting in room temperature, and have them not stack up to 100, so we can't store like, two year's worth of food in a 3x3 stockpile, it'll be more balanced.

Loki88

Quote from: AllenWL on May 09, 2016, 05:59:50 AM
Actually, I should clarify some things.

There are around 4 people in the colony(roughly. Some die or get kidnapped every now and then).

The 3x3 strawberry farm is the only constant source of food. We do sometimes forage from berry bushes or get some food-drops, and had a manhunter muffalo pack once, so the 3x3 farm isn't our only source of food, it's just the most reliable one.

The 3x3 farm gives enough food to be a stable source of food(meaning about enough to feed our crew of 4 till the next harvest), and I have the bill set to 'make forever' so every surplus food we get is stockpiled as man-kibbles, giving us this ridiculous amount of food.
Also, every raid, the dead raiders drop about 3 meals each as well, so that also helps in stocking up the man-kibbles.
In fact, we can probably ditch the strawberry farm and eat nothing but berries from berry bushes and the odd manhunting animals and still stockpile a few hundred kibbles before winter.

We now have about a 100 days worth of food in a 2x2 stockpile, and I haven't even built a freezer yet.

I think the biggest thing with the man-kibbles is now space and time efficient it is. Since it stacks to 100, and can be made in batches of 10, it's rather easy to make tons of it and store them forever in a compact space without ever getting a freezer or anything.

I think if you remove the 'batch' recipe so you can't turn like, 600 units of meat into kibbles before they rot when they're sitting in room temperature, and have them not stack up to 100, so we can't store like, two year's worth of food in a 3x3 stockpile, it'll be more balanced.

I'm wanting to keep stack sizes large, but I will fart around with balance before the next update. Maybe increase skill level required for the batch recipe and increase the work amount.