It's simply not fun to have perma-damaged pawns.

Started by Lightzy, January 24, 2017, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightzy

Injuries like destroyed eyes and limbs are bad, but the player is psychologically ok with them. Because they can be fixed, and can actually be made even better than before via bionics. Yes, it's expensive, it's dangerous, but the option is there.

Injuries that cannot be healed however, like a 'destroyed nose' or a 'destroyed lung' etc are simply not fun. In general, it is not engaging to a player to have his shit get more and more irreparably damaged as time goes by, without any option of recovery. Especially when pawns are few and precious and the player grows more attached to his builder, his medic, etc.

From a purely non-emotional designer standpoint sure it's fine, it's just a minor thing. But as far as player psychology is concerned, it's a major thing.

Please add ways to fix stuff, even nose job operations etc.

KingKnee

I pretty much agree, also "scars" on the torso, can't do anything about them. Just found out today that you can't remove implants such as Joywire. Why not when you can remove bionic legs and arms? Seems arbitrary.

taha

Joywire is installed in brain. That means you cut a piece from it in order to place it (like you do with bionics). If you could remove the joywire, you should be left with a vegetable-type colonist. So is not arbitrary, it just follows the logic of other prosthetic implants.

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

GarettZriwin

You can keep your colonists completely safe inside power armors if I remember correctly, do they not protect even toes and fingers? And if not, they will stop damage that could hurt body parts that can't be replaced.

You can also use power shields to soak up any ranged damage.

Bozobub

While most necessary organs/limbs can be replaced — beyond the brain, of course — are you really of the opinion that even the most advanced Rimworld colony will have the resources for plastic surgery, much less one or more doctors with that extremely specific, rather difficult skill?
Thanks, belgord!

Limdood

Just an FYI, you CAN heal permanent scars (not missing ears/nose/ribs/etc) with luciferium.  Thats a whole new ball game though.

Over time, permanent scars will disappear on a luciferium addicted pawn.

Goo Poni

Removing a limb or organ or the detritus from a destroyed body part and installing bionics, attaching all the nerves and splicing blood vessels together or patching up someone who's collapsed in a wildfire from the pain of the burns and is probably suffering second degree burns, possibly needing grafts to fix is easier to do than a bit of work with silicone?

Lightzy

I think a simple solution would be, to allow the use of glitterworld medicine to regrow a nose, ribs, healing scars, etc.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Bozobub on January 24, 2017, 03:44:07 PM
While most necessary organs/limbs can be replaced — beyond the brain, of course — are you really of the opinion that even the most advanced Rimworld colony will have the resources for plastic surgery, much less one or more doctors with that extremely specific, rather difficult skill?

I find it hard to believe that replacing a nose is harder than replacing a lung, bionic parts (which we don't have in effect today), especially stuff like eyes.  You'd have to be painstakingly interacting with nerves in a way that's only decently understood today using tech that doesn't exist yet.  In contrast, while it's not easy work plastic surgery is relatively common compared to replacing a lung!

Though permanent maiming seems to fit the spirit of the game, and most things ARE replace-able.

baronjutter

I've always just wanted a couple more surgery options so that, with enough skill and medicine, you can heal most anything.  Just need a "heal scar" operation, maybe it needs glitter world medicine.  And some "reconstructive surgery" to replace cosmetic things like ears and noses.  By the end of the game all my people are in constant pain due to scars, and it seems extreme to replace all their limbs and in many cases there's no options at all.

I know about the mod that adds a billion new implants and cybernetics but I found it just adds way too much clutter to the game and seems mostly focused on high level cybernetics rather than simple scar healing. 

I just want to be able to get my people back to health.

Andy_Dandy

Totally disagree with OP. It's the other way arround. It's not fun if every consequence has an easy fix. But if you want your game experience ruined you can always get mods for this, giving you quickfixes for every terrible situation. What makes Rimworld great is it hasn't fallen to this mentality in the game design.

I suggest you get rid of colonists you don't find a use for no more and recruit and start training the skills of a new one, or just have to deal with living with an uglier colonist missing a nose.

LordMunchkin

I agree, there should be consequences. However, this games takes place in the far, far future so as the saying goes "we can rebuild him. we have the technology."  ;D

Just addressing the OP, I think you're looking for the EPOE mod. It lets fix everything you listed at a cost.

Catastrophy

The scars are what tell stories. Not the entries in the surgery ledger.

Ukas

All this glitterworld mentality... men should have scars and carry them with pride