Buy/Sell tab

Started by BrTarolg, May 05, 2017, 06:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrTarolg

I always thought using traders was quite awkward and could never quite put my finger on it

But then i realised it's because in most other games when you buy/sell items they are separated into two different tabs. I think this would be much easier for most people and a bit more intuitive?

kataklysmos_

I think it's the way it is because it's representative not of buying and selling, but trading things. You each trade stuff and settle any difference in value with silver.

AngleWyrm

I always thought using traders was quite awkward and never could quite put my finger on it
But then I realized...

Traders don't have needs.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

ymc

Quote from: BrTarolg on May 05, 2017, 06:38:24 PM
...buy/sell items ... separated into two different tabs. I think this would be much easier for most people and a bit more intuitive?
I won't lie, I still screw up and buy chemfuel or whatever because I forget the negative in front. I've attached a pic of my favourite barter system.

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 06, 2017, 04:34:35 PM
Traders don't have needs.
Yeah, this one has bugged me a bit too. You never see merchants offering a premium for YOUR medicine or food or <insert commodity> because they need it back home. This could lead to so many outcomes.
"Oh god, we're all dying, alot of good this silver is doing now"
"Oh god, my stockpile is ruined! Shouldn't have waited for a better price!"
"Oh god, we refused to sell them medicine, and now this fully-armed caravan that I let through the gates into the heart of my base is taking it by force"

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Calahan

This thread made me smile because the first time I ever tried using the trader screen I was there for a least half and hour, and reloaded the game several times to try and get rid of "the bug" that was preventing trade from working. I just couldn't work it out. I eventually did, and it's second nature now, but IMO the trade screen is not the most naturally intuitive UI I've ever seen. So agree it could use a few whacks with the user-friendly stick at some point in the future.

BrTarolg

I also think this small change to the interface will make a lot of other potential features easier too

The idea of traders having "needs" and some form of demand/supply in the system would be much easier to implement/understand if we had buy/sell tabs or something similar

milon

Agreed. For me, trade is slow and awkward, and I keep forgetting which way is buying or selling. It would be great to have Buy and Sell tabs. In keeping with the current trade emphasis (using silver only to pay the difference), the screen should also show the total value being bought & the total value being sold, and the price difference in silver (net gain/loss), and a Confirm button to settle the transaction.

O Negative

+1 from me, as well.

It's really easy to make accidental trades with the single screen available to us right now.
Even for a seasoned player.

BrTarolg

just checking - there isn't a mod for this already is there?