It's simply not fun to have perma-damaged pawns.

Started by Lightzy, January 24, 2017, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace_livion

I believe scars should stay, but if you treat them well you could remove the small 3% pain penalty.
next i think that hearing problems due to lost ear, should be treatable whit some kind of hearing aid, not giving back the ear, but making it a 20% hearing loose over the deaf.

I like there to be small "hot fixes" over the Bionic boost.
like the denture, thing that work but are still a permanent penalty.

as for the nose, I have no good solution other then some Nanoface mask. like some strange cream that restore your face but somehow remove that ability to use a helmet due to need of air/sunlight vague Quiet argument...

Elixiar

In my opinion I like the way things are. Sure it sucks when someone gets a nose blown off, but it adds a kind of natural progression of a pawns life on the Rimworld. You either die young, fit and (sometimes healthy) or you live old with many injuries, scars, missing fingers and toes.

The only thing that makes it unfun for me, is having colonists hate each other for being amputees. Surely they would all get it, understand that when you are in battles every day you are not going to look like a model. For the destroyed nose in particular, some kind of mask/ facial reconstruction option to have a fake one installed would be nice, it wouldn't restore what was lost but would stop people punching others eyes out.

That's also the only other real issue. Permanent eye damage is just too dramatic. Unless by gunshot, eye damage should be low chance for damage. THAT isn't fun having a colony full of half blind people that are all that way through self infliction.

Honestly all else is fine though.
What would be unfun is if you could make a person good as new except for scars. That would suck. There would be no risk or feeling of loss at all if that was implemented.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Zhentar

Quote from: cultist on January 26, 2017, 10:46:38 AM
Noses, fingers, toes etc. have very low health so they tend to be removed completely when hit. I'd like to see a much lower chance to hit these parts. I mean, shooting someone's finger off (but not hitting the hand) is pretty damn unlikely to happen.

Thinking about this more, I think the problem is the "but not hitting ..." part. The odds of hitting the tiny things are already quite low, there's only a 1% chance combined of hitting the nose or ears (which is unreasonably low for a fist fight). But if the damage could get spread across two parts, they could be hit without always being destroyed.

Jstank

I will now relink an old thread about cryo sleep healing casket pods because relevant.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29531.0
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Lightzy

Quote from: Zhentar on January 26, 2017, 12:16:49 PM
Quote from: cultist on January 26, 2017, 10:46:38 AM
Noses, fingers, toes etc. have very low health so they tend to be removed completely when hit. I'd like to see a much lower chance to hit these parts. I mean, shooting someone's finger off (but not hitting the hand) is pretty damn unlikely to happen.

Agreed. Noses & ears pop off in even minor squabbles, and now they've got a '-15 disfigured' opinion penalty (even if they used to be +40 beautiful, which is pretty harsh).

Pretty much what I thought, yes.

It seems I never have a playthrough without a whole bunch of destroyed noses.
That's why I posted.
It got real ridiculous the last time after 3 pawns with no nose and a permanent brawl going on in the livingroom

Razzoriel

Im all for scars. But its damn groundbreaking not having technology to even attempt a fix at fingers, ears and nose, but enough for a fucking heart surgery.

Surgeries which leave a scar with a lessened disfigured penalty, or leave a pawn not with a destroyed toe, but with nerve damage.

These add up to the game and make it so injuries can be permanent, but medicine cab mitigate it. Obviously, with the threat of dying on the surgery table.

dv

Quote from: Razzoriel on January 27, 2017, 11:33:17 AM
Im all for scars. But its damn groundbreaking not having technology to even attempt a fix at fingers, ears and nose, but enough for a fucking heart surgery.

Surgeries which leave a scar with a lessened disfigured penalty, or leave a pawn not with a destroyed toe, but with nerve damage.

These add up to the game and make it so injuries can be permanent, but medicine cab mitigate it. Obviously, with the threat of dying on the surgery table.

Personally I think the disfigured penalty is weird/bad. Maybe there needs to be a "platonic" social standing score as opposed to one for romance.

I know plenty of people IRL who have lost bits of fingers, facial scars here and there, etc. Mostly they're cool people and I don't dislike them as friends and coworkers.

Now, I'm also a shallow SOB who would be hesitant to hook up with a woman who had no face, but I wouldn't randomly start a fistfight with her either.

Jorlem

Interesting fact: The oldest known prosthetic body part in history is a prosthetic toe from Ancient Egypt.  It is made of wood and leather, and was dated to sometime between 950 and 710 BCE.  Source

The ancient Egyptians could make comfortable prosthetic toes, but if our colonists need to replace a toe they have to replace the entire leg to do so.

Lightzy

I'm not complaining about the realism of being able to sew back toes or make artificial noses. That would probably be a conscious design decision, not to allow those.

I just think it's a bad decision, both because of player psychology, and because those injuries are so very common and so injurious to the colony in potential, and sometimes force 'gamey' solutions to suicide the pawn without penalties..

A good idea would be to make these injuries a lot less common, and also to enable rare glittertech to fix them

Nemeo

I think it's fun to have perma-damaged pawns.

I agree that anything should be replaceable/curable BUT prostetics/medicine should be so rare that the player wouldn't bother with a simple scar and use/keep them for more serious issues.

For a rimworld, this planet gets too much high tech goods already.

NagaPrince

I agree with some forum posters, I don't understand why the game has bionic limbs, and the replacement of major and minor organs, but for some reason hasn't implemented the replacement of hand and foot digits. Whats wrong with the concept of bionic digits, or fixing even damaged bionics?

I think people should have this reversed. With some sufficient technology level, you should be able to permanently fix scars but let them remain in the ledger as a reminder of what occurred, because frankly I find it silly that scars are causing pain to someone.

I understand bionics not being constructional (although ship parts are to formulate a ship...), but the replacement and surgery in general on major organs should be much harder to perform. Scars should be a low-mid Medicine skill + tech, but there should be something between natural organs and prosthetics, and bionics.

I personally feel this games technology tree is to small, and to easy to research.

NeverPire

Quote from: NagaPrince on January 30, 2017, 07:54:49 PM
I agree with some forum posters, I don't understand why the game has bionic limbs, and the replacement of major and minor organs, but for some reason hasn't implemented the replacement of hand and foot digits. Whats wrong with the concept of bionic digits, or fixing even damaged bionics?
You already have power claw and scyther blades which work as bionic hands.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

guruclef

I don't get people asking to replace toes, a foot or fingers... We already have full bionic legs and arms (& claws, as NeverPire says) that you can use to fix that. It sounds like nitpicking if you want to make sure to keep the most "good parts" of the limb that you can, when it wouldn't have any gameplay impact.

Jstank

I have been playing extensively with the A16 prostetics mod, and I must say that it can become a little tedious keeping up with all of the individual colonists permanent injures. After every battle I have to go through and check the injuries and try to craft the appropriate body part from the bionics bench. It is really nice that I can repair the body parts, and it gives a little bit of end game activity but it gets to be very tedious after a while. I would feel that if I had the choice to craft individual fingers and toes, or replace a whole hand, I would do the hand every time. Especially with the new changes to surgery it is neigh impossible to keep enough glitter world medicine to treat all of the colonists. If you did fingers, you would have to have X20 the meds for all the fingers and toes you would have to be replacing because 1 med = 1 surgery. Even with a fully upgraded hospital with a talented staff, I still never perform a surgery without glitter world meds any more. I suggest all of you that would like to see more surgeries in this game to try out the prosthesis mod because it does most of what you all are asking for. It doesn't heal scars though, and I think there is a mod for that too!

If you want something in the game go try the mod because it is most likely out right now and is only one click away! Maybe you will find that the grass isn't always so green on the other side, or maybe it is! Who knows right!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Lightzy

That's why, as I said, the solution is to allow glittertech meds to be used to heal 'small' injuries, like rebuild a nose, thumb, heal scars etc.

It's glittertech meds ffs