Realization with AI persona cores

Started by Goldenpotatoes, January 25, 2017, 09:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

For majority of cases, the player who builds a ship to escape the rimworld will get their AI core from a physic ship, which dispenses AI-driven death machines will the sole purpose of killing everything that isn't them.

You're taking the now-dormant AI from the ship full of killer robots, installing it into a ship, then proceeding to put full trust into said AI that it doesn't have a hate-on for all organic life and will proceed to do something drastic, like fly you into the sun, or maybe just fly the ship to the nearest mechanoid hive to dispose of your colonists for being stupid enough to trust it.

I never really thought about it until now, but I don't know if the ship method of escaping is exactly the most reliable method anymore.

PotatoeTater

Cryosleep can cause memory loss, for all we know our first 3 survivors already escaped a planet that way :P
Life is Strange

Catastrophy

It is all a plot by the machines. The core and glitterworlds are a lie! Every ship that takes off will just crash again in the RimWorld, the machines make sure of it.

dv

The AI cores from psychic ships aren't aliens - they're humanity!

Told you it was better to crash on a Rimworld than make it to a Glitterworld.

Keychan

I'm pretty sure there was a plan somewhere along the lines of "We'll shotgun people onto the outer rims of the universe with the idea they'll find the perfect place eventually, when actually, they're populating the planets for us to come gather resources from them."  Notice how your colonists are crash landed, only with the idea of going back up because where they landed wasn't the perfect place?  Maybe they made mechanoids to punish those who stay on a planet too long and gives a good reason to go back up and populate another planet.  The AI core was probably designed to crash land colonists, and to crash near populated colonies to give them the idea of moving to another Rimworld.

Lawlzer

Quote from: Catastrophy on January 25, 2017, 09:54:11 AM
It is all a plot by the machines. The core and glitterworlds are a lie! Every ship that takes off will just crash again in the RimWorld, the machines make sure of it.
...I get it.
It's like portal.
You try to escape, over and over, and when you finally do escape, the AI forces you to lose your memory, and try to escape, over and over, until death.
It's a learning experience!

Mkok

Wow, so its all a plan made up by the mechanoids (or the humans who built them)! Maybe its all for a sport?  :o
Who knows, perhaps every colony has a futuristic invisible camera flying in the sky right above the colony, that can see through roofs, and is monitoring the colonists. Sometimes the observers sometimes give orders, or otherwise influence the colonists using chips put into their brains. All for entertainment.
Would also explain why some colonists are incapable of some really trivial stuff, like hauling. Their chips broke, and made them permanently unable of hauling.   ::) OR why events which should be completely unrelated seem to be related. Or the reason why raiders seem to die more often after their leg is shot off when there already is more then few colonists in the colony then compared to when there are only few colonists!  :o

DarkXanatos

So... basically, Rimworld is the Matrix?

sadpickle

With the friendly AI event, I don't know why we still have even the OPTION of building a ship. Frankly, it's really silly. A modern spacecraft is a rather complicated machine, to say the least. A spaceship that can escape a gravity well, travel interstellar, accelerate to relativistic speeds without propellant, AND keep everyone alive in the process is beyond the scope of known technology (and defies physics, barring a technological miracle), and would make a modern spacecraft look like a Ford Model-T.

The idea a rag-tag group of dysfunctional malcontents could build this spaceship in a non-sterile environment (and given enough resources, in the span of a year or less) stretches the limits of disbelief to well beyond their breaking point.

Hans Lemurson

Maybe the victory should be building a spaceship AFTER you complete the journey to the AI?

...And then you find out that it was actually spamming its escape offer everybody on the planet, and you have to fend off hordes of raiders and migrants.  Once it has selected the fittest of this planet's crop, it then transplants them to new worlds to ensure the strength of humanity's seed.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Thyme

[...] Every ship that takes off will just crash again in the RimWorld [...]
That's exactly how I imagine it.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

AN7AG0NIS7

Quote from: Thyme on January 30, 2017, 02:50:37 AM
[...] Every ship that takes off will just crash again in the RimWorld [...]
That's exactly how I imagine it.
I just launched a ship of 30 colonists last night, leaving behind some MAIs and bonded animals. Those 30 colonists show up as dead in their social tabs.. So yeah colonists die after blasting off.