[A17] XeoNovaDan's Surgery Tweaks v2.1 (26/5/2017)

Started by XeoNovaDan, January 05, 2017, 02:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Overview
XeoNovaDan's Surgery Tweaks makes a few changes to surgery in regards to introducing post-processing to the surgery success chance stat, the doctor's impact on it with medicine skill, and also anaesthetic being more realistic. This mod was primarily made to tackle the controversy of the tail-end of 2016 that is the constant botching of surgeries even with a level 13+ doctor, because of medicine's measly 70% medical potency - so glitterworld medicine was pretty much necessary to reliably succeed at surgery.

In the case of using this mod in A17 though, surgery is actually going to be slightly (but not that much) harder - and this mod would synergise very well with Linq's Less Arbitrary Surgery once that mod is updated to Alpha 17. The reason why surgery success chance may seem low - e.g. level 6 having a displayed surgery success chance of 71% (actually 71.429%) is because even a clean room increases the surgery success chance by 5% in Alpha 17; as a result, a level 6 surgeon in a clean room with this mod will actually have a 75% (75.00045% to be precise) of successfully performing an operation.

As with my Shooting Skill Rebalanced mod though, this mod's really a matter of personal preference at this point.

As previously touched on, Anaesthetic gets a change: instead of anaesthetised colonists immediately getting up in as good a form as they were before receiving their dose of general anaesthetic, there's now a slightly less pleasant recovery process which can last anywhere from 12 hours up to 2 days, while Anaesthetic itself still lasts the standard 6 hours - with symptoms similar to those of real life (e.g. mild pain, vomiting, occasional memory loss, feeling faint). This recovery process is split into 3 stages: the initial 'sedated' stage where the patient is unconscious and feels no pain (6h), the 'woozy' stage where recovery symptoms are at their worst and where the patient feels the high (6h), and the 'recovering' stage which lasts for the remainder of the process with much reduced symptoms (6h to around 40h). As you may have previously observed, Anaesthetic also induces a high for a minor mood improvement - but before you consider essentially repeatedly anaesthetising your colonists for improved mood, the drawbacks through the recovery process will outweigh the high.

As always, if you like (or dislike) this mod, you're welcome to leave some feedback! With the way that Ludeon Forums works, a post will effectively mean that more people can hear about this mod and enjoy it too - whereas they might not've been able to because they would've never heard of it.

If there's something you want to be changed: state what you want changed, some detailed description as to why, and potentially what you want it to be changed to - as somebody who aims to make mods as vanilla-friendly as possible, I'm going to be extremely picky about what goes in and what doesn't, so a good place to start is that the suggestion has to be vanilla-friendly.

Credits
Marnador for providing the community with a RimWorld Style Font. Thanks :)

Compatibility
This mod is compatible with Less Arbitrary Surgery by Linq, as Less Arbitrary Surgery is assembly-based and this mod is no more than a couple of XML tweaks.

Will conflict with mods that change SurgerySuccessChance & HealingQuality (Stats_Pawns_WorkMedical.xml), and HerbalMedicine & Medicine (Items_Resource_Manufactured.xml). Will also conflict with any mods that change the hediff Anesthetic (Hediffs_Global_Misc). Should work perfectly fine with most (if not all) other mods.

This mod is savegame friendly, and can be added to and removed from existing savegames without issue - apart from possibly if a pawn is currently anaesthetised (not tested)

Installation
Manual: Extract the contents of Better RimDoctors.zip to your RimWorld Mods file (RimWorld/Mods).
Steam: Subscribe to 'Better RimDoctors' on the Steam Workshop; effectively fire and forget.

Download
Dropbox [A17] (v2.1)
Steam Workshop [A17]

License
You may include this mod in any modpack which you choose to make public. You are free to base mods around this one, provided you give credit.

Update Log:
v2.1 (26/5/2017)
- Curve adjusted to fit in with A17's values
    - Post-processed values take room cleanliness bonus into account
- Capacity factors corrected for A17
- Sight's effective limit of 100% re-instated

v2.0 (5/5/2017)
    - Re-brand of v1.3 (should've been called v2.0, in retrospect)
    - Medicine Potency Changes
        - Herbal Medicine: 0.57 -> 0.6 (A16 version)
        - Removed (upcoming A17 version)
    - Healing Quality per skill level changes removed
    - Anaesthetic Hediff's label corrected (Anesthetic -> Anaesthetic)
    - Anaesthetic carries a minute risk of causing Alzheimer's

v1.3 (7.2.2017)
    - Anaesthetic has been changed
        - Split into a few stages
        - Produces a high

v1.2 (22.1.2017)
    - Post-process curve rebalanced
    - EPOE patch removed as Post-process curve is sufficiently balanced
        - Additionally, EPOE patch will cease to get support.

v1.1 (8.1.2017)
    - Revised post-process curve for base mod and patch
    - New graphics for page
    - EPOE patch now has its own (slightly changed) graphic

v1.0.1 (6.1.2017)
    - Balance patch released for EPOE
    - Page finally finished

v1.0 (5.1.2017)
    - Mod Released to Public

XeoNovaDan

Now v1.0.1

- Introduces EPOE Patch
    - Page now finished

- Will update page on Workshop shortly

cammillotto

hey,
I'm asking here what I've asked on Steam :-)
in which ways balance might be affected if used with Less Arbitrary Surgery?

Thanks again for your work!

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v1.1!

- Post-process curve revised for better balancing (both base mod and EPOE patch)
- New graphics added to page (should've been there in the first place, too lazy back then)
- EPOE patch has its own graphics

SpawnTD

Hi i have a question regarding EPOE.

What is your EPOE patch doing ? When do i need it ?

EPOE has a hardcore version. Is the EPOE patch also working for this ?

What is the mod order when using your patch?
EPOE hardcore
Better Rimdoctors
Better Rimdoctors EPOE Patch
Or something else ?

Thanks in advance

XeoNovaDan

The EPOE patch is a minor XML tweak which changes the post-process curve so it's slightly 'harder' as such. I was working on a comparison graphic regarding the base mod and EPOE patch this morning (UK time), but school. I've come back from school and will wrap up the comparison very soon.

It should work just fine with EPOE Hardcore.

In terms of load order with the patch, you can load this either before or after EPOE: it won't make a difference. It has to be loaded after Better RimDoctors however. The load order you listed will work fine

Edit: Would love some feedback on how I can improve balancing furthermore. In the near-future if I either find or get an excellent suggestion of a post-processing curve balance, the EPOE patch may no longer be needed. It could be very soon, it could be considerably down the line, who knows.

XeoNovaDan

XeoNovaDan

Small hotfix regarding Stats_Pawns_WorkMedical.xml: '</li>' wasn't present on line 108 of Stats_Pawns_WorkMedical.xml, which would cause an error message. This has been addressed

XeoNovaDan

Bump as updated to v1.3

Anaesthetic changed. Details in description

Thyme

The vanilla anaesthetics mechanism always bugged me! Thanks a lot.

Update compatible I guess?
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

XeoNovaDan

No problem!

Not sure what you mean by "update compatible". If you're talking about A17, it should be - unless Tynan makes a major change to the medical system itself and not just variables.

Thyme

Mod update is what I meant. But it was more of a rhetorical question since I headed out and played RimWorld right away ;)
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

XeoNovaDan

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v2.0! (5/5/2017) - v1.3 should've technically been v2.0, and this should've been v2.1, but hey-ho

Changes: Marginal increase to Herbal Medicine's medical potency (57% to 60%), tuned the post-processing curve, anaesthetising now carries a minute risk of causing Alzheimer's (around 1% chance), re-named mod to XeoNovaDan's Surgery Tweaks; I feel that the name 'Better RimDoctors' may have been quite off-putting for some and it didn't clearly convey this mod's purpose.

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v2.1! (26/5/2017)

Changes:
- Re-worked the post-processing curve and pre-curve values Shooting Skill Rebalanced-style-ish to emphasise skill's weighting on how modifiers affect the final surgery chance. Values may seem low at first glance, but these are taking into account the 5% bonus from even a 'clean' room.
- Capacity modifiers changed to be appropriate for A17
- Sight now has a 100% limit again