Struggle: A full story of a colony with plenty of pictures (short)

Started by MiniKeeper, January 26, 2017, 06:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniKeeper

Rimworld adventure 7: Struggle
Difficulty: Randy extreme on permadeath.
Scenario: Crashlanded
Landing point: Mountainous tropical rainforest with year-round growing.

My 3 starting colonists:

Sammy:
An industrious and abrasive optimist. Age 40.
Notable skills: 9 shooting, 9 melee, 9 social, 7 medicine, 6 crafting.

Rynyk:
A too smart psychopath. Age 20.
Notable skills: 8 shooting, 13 melee, 7 research.

Noms:
A brawler who is too smart. Age 39.
Notable skills: 10 melee, 9 medicine.

Day 0:
The planet.

Day 3:
As the colony struggles to construct its first buildings, I get the popup to name my faction and community. I name the faction Redemption and the community Struggle.

Day 5:
A thrumbo arrives. This could be good money if we can kill it.

Day 6:
We killed the thrumbo, but Sammy lost her hand. Looks like the horn money will go towards a bionic arm.

Day 7:
The colony so far.

Day 8:
A single raider with a wooden club has arrived, and boy does he know how to use it.

Looking at his skills, I really do think sheriff is the worst possible backstory a pawn can roll.

Day 11:
A ranch owner wants to join my colony and escape the pirates on his tail. Ranch owners are incapable of dumb labor. No thanks!

Day 14:
Rynyk and Sammy have both contracted sensory mechanites. This isn't good.

Later that day, some tribal visitors pass by. They have some pretty good stuff. But for once there are no predators around.

But, Randy isn't satisfied with one disease, instead, Rynyk and Sammy get to contract sleeping sickness too!

Day 16:
It looks like sleeping sickness with eventually kill Rynyk and Sammy. In a few days this might turn into Noms' solo adventure.

Then Randy rubs salt in the wound with a female psychic drone. All my colonists are female.

Day 17:
Sammy's ex-husband Char joins. He's a pretty good colonist.

Notable skills: 8 social, 11 crafting.

Day 20:
Some tribal visitors pass by.

Meanwhile, at the colony, things are not going well.
Mood problems are rampant, and we are having problems doing all the jobs that need doing with only 2 able bodied colonists.

Day 21:
An escape pod lands, it contains a decent potential colonist. We need the extra manpower.

Day 22:
A manhunting pack of boomrats has arrived. We aren't in any condition to fight them. Time to hide in the fridge.

As Rynyk hides in the fridge, I have her pop out and shoot at the boomrats. Maybe that isn't the best idea since the entire base is made of wood, but I need to save Sammy, who was caught outside while having a mental break.

But, no matter the cause, the fire begins to spread. Stupid boomrats.

Day 23:
Don't go out there Char... Don't go out there...

Char opening the door causes a firefight (see what I did there?) between us and the boomrats. My colonists barely escape as the fridge goes up in flames.

Noms goes berserk as she brings Char to safety. Noms begins to punch the Yorkshire terrier...

Rynyk beats her into submission though.

Then a capybara self-tames. That's Randy's only remorse for torching my fridge.

Later, as Rynyk desperately tries to bandage everyone, some alphabeavers show up.

Meanwhile, at my ruined base...

But, after being the hero for so long, Rynyk's wounds catch up with her and she gets an infection in her arm followed by a berserk rampage.

Then she immediately collapses from extreme exhaustion and her break is over.
But, poor Rynyk cannot escape the infections that are setting in, as she gets one in her left leg. She will die since we have no more medicine, but will be remembered as the hero of the colony.

Day 24:
Noms briefly recovers, but then passes out from an infection in her torso.

Day 25:
Rynyk dies of infection and Andy, my prisoner, dies of malnutrion.

Later in the day Noms dies of infection. Only Char and Sammy are alive and uninfected.

Near the end of the day a flashstorm occurs because with Randy, there is never enough fire.

Day 26:
As the flashstorm flames consume the base, my colonists attempt to fight it. Sammy's nose is cut off when a portion of the roof collapses.

My colony after rain stops the all-consuming fire.

Day 28:
First, Sammy gets malaria. This means she will die. I only have one uninfected colonist, Char, who is wounded from his berserk rampage when he stabbed a boomalope to death.
Then, a housemate offers to join the colony since he is being chased by tribals. If I accept, I will surely die.

But later that day, Char gets an infection in his neck. This is the end.
Shortly after, Sammy passes out from a mixture of sleeping sickness, sensory mechanites, malaria, and starvation.

Day 29:
Both colonists die of malnutrition.

In the end, this story was a testament to the wrath of Randy. I honestly think this game went downhill after Sammy lost her hand to that thrumbo.
This story took up 29 pages on Microsoft Word (mostly because of pictures) and has about 900 words.
Thanks for reading.

Jake

Have you ever thought about trying a lower difficulty level? Because I think I read most of your other Rimworld stories while I was browsing the forum before setting up an account, and as far as I can tell they all end in horrible disaster, to the point where it's getting both predictable and kind of depressing.

Which is a shame, because I like your writing style a lot and think it would be a waste if people started skipping your posts because of Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy.

A Friend

I actually like that it doesn't drag on for too long. Keeps things fresh imo.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Dorian

Love your stories!  Never played that setting.  Does it not allow you to keep waiting to see if some random wanderer joins your colony?  Or is that the point of permadeth?

Quote from: Jake on February 12, 2017, 09:01:12 AM
Have you ever thought about trying a lower difficulty level? Because I think I read most of your other Rimworld stories while I was browsing the forum before setting up an account, and as far as I can tell they all end in horrible disaster, to the point where it's getting both predictable and kind of depressing.

Which is a shame, because I like your writing style a lot and think it would be a waste if people started skipping your posts because of Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy.

I like the stories, lots happens, and it doesn't get repetitive because it's sorta short.  You don't start on Randy extreme permadeth so I can only assume he picks it to make things interesting and see what can possibly happen.  Like watching a train wreck as it happens...

Perq

I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

Trigon