My game stories

Started by Hypolite, September 16, 2013, 10:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

Screenshots: I have better resolution/quality ones, but the 128kB limit on upload has me going through image-manipulation hoops to show as much as I want with the best quality possible.

Graves: It's about a third of the whole graveyard. Only foolish raiders are buried there. They may have been foolish, but they were human nonetheless. There should be a muffalo or two, also.

Batteries: Before you make anything more flammable, first add fire extinguishers. Pretty please? I couldn't help to see that current batteries efficiency is maxed at 50%, is it a scheduled future research path?

Syphus

I just gotta say, that last base picture makes me pretty jealous.

Hypolite

Yarkista

Damn that's a lot of solar panels.

Hypolite

I thought the number of batteries would have make you wonder more than solar panels, but like Watts said in his own words, an underground base is power-consuming due to all the lamps needed. There's also a significant number of automatic turrets, both outside and inside the base.

Not shown on that picture: the geothermal station and the 50-100 meters power conduit linking it to the base. I would have needed 3-4 solar panels more to achieve the same power output.

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on September 21, 2013, 05:07:20 PM
I thought the number of batteries would have make you wonder more than solar panels, but like Watts said in his own words, an underground base is power-consuming due to all the lamps needed. There's also a significant number of automatic turrets, both outside and inside the base.

Not shown on that picture: the geothermal station and the 50-100 meters power conduit linking it to the base. I would have needed 3-4 solar panels more to achieve the same power output.

Damn, alpha is alpha I suppose, those power outputs need balancing.

Hypolite

I also feel that standing lights power consumption is wayyy too much but since hydroponic farming is also OP, I was able to trade for minerals and build extra solar panel/batteries easily.

Tynan

Geothermal is actually supposed to be waaay more powerful than solar, just because you have to go to it and can't make it anywhere. It's intended to get you to have some asset distant across the map that can be threatened by pirates, etc. I like having some incentive (besides farming) to spread out to balance the natural incentives to make the base compact. My attempt at fixing one of DF's classic problems, which is that you can just wall yourself off into a super-compact underground base and stay that way.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Well, looking at the numbers, it looks like the geothermal is *only* 3-4 times better than solar, but I didn't take into account that it works also during the night. I should have built double the solar panel to have the same daily output including the night. So geothermal is already a good investment, and I considered fortifying it or even fortifying the whole power conduit, and built batteries to store all this extra power, but in the end nothing ever happened, except for this small power conduit fire and regular maintenance.

Tynan

Yeah, there's no real threats to the power cables.

I want to have more mischievous threats who may come in and just attack a building and leave. Animals or tribal raiders, perhaps.

The Ataraxist

this makes me want to play the pre-alpha SO badly... :(((

Tynan

Well, the tribal raiders and animals attacking power lines aren't in the game yet... I hope it'll be better if you wait because your first experience will be more filled-out and less buggy than what the testers have now.

Hypolite

Random mini-stories from today:
- Fire in the hole: Clearing encumbering slag/rubble with grenades
- Funeral pyre: Clearing animal corpses with a specialized Dump area and pouring Molotov cocktails on them (see attachments). As the animal remains are brought over when a square becomes free, they catch fire from the other burning remains, keeping the pyre running.
- A Dangerous Pet: A Boomrat stuck inside the kitchen survived very long by feeding on forgotten meal trays and leftover food from colonists' table. I guess they named it at some point.
- Desertland: After a while, there was no grazing plants anymore on the whole map. Poor muffalos are still getting spawned, and their death is long and painful. Squirrel and boomrats are dying from starvation also, and the latter explode on death, making me jump each time.
- Life miracle: I actually saw a Pincushion Cactus seed being thrown from its genitor and starting growing where it landed.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Haha, awesome. People are finally figuring out how to dispose of bodies!

How did the map get cleared of grass? Did you cut it all yourself?

Hypolite

I cut some myself, but I don't know why it disappeard from everywhere else. I'm guessing the spawn rate of animals is greater than the plant reproduction rate, so the plants have a head start, but they get overrun in the end.