My game stories

Started by Hypolite, September 16, 2013, 10:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypolite

I already narrated my first game here, and I will update this post with new stories each time I complete one.

Hypolite

Second story

My three colonists started building a shelter by carving inside a big rock hill, adding bedrooms here and there, with an extra for a prisoner. Everything went smoothly, the first raider was duly captured and locked down, but a Muffalo went mad and made a mess out of my three colonists when the power ran out at night and one of the colonists opened the door to pee outside.

Suggestion : make the mad animals attack target in a short range around them instead of making them go through the entire map to attack a colonist that is behind a closed door.

Hypolite

Third story

In a dark world where every hope seemed lost, those brave colonists let a light shine. Be ready for a fantastic space adventure with stranded colonists spilling sweat and blood to defend themselves against elements, raiders, and a mad squirrel! *record screeching*

My game went well, recruiting slowing but steadily, outnumbered and outgunned but the second raiders' raid but smart tactics left no casualties in my team, repairing fuming rumbles from weather hazards, and when the situation stabilized, my game crashed. My best story by far, but it lacks the punchline quality of my two previous stories.

I may or may not add screenshots next time, if I remember to hit the screenshot button regularly during the game.

Edit : Added a screenshot of the last autosave before crash.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

I laughed at each one of these. Thanks.

I'll have to think about animal attacks. They are supposed to be a bit nuts, Ghost and the Darkness type animals. The problem with making them only attack locally is that they could go crazy with nobody around, sit silently for a long time, then attack after you've forgotten about them.

Did one Muffalo really kill everyone?

Also, are you aware that you start with a gun on the ground? I should train that.

Love to see some screenshots! Even if you just load your old saves to take them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Actually I tried to shoot the muffalo, but it was the gun bearer than went to open the door, and he got stunned and stomped fast. The other unarmed colonists weren't that much fortunate.

Maybe the mad animal wouldn't feed themselves anymore, condemnig to a sure death after a long while, at least reducing their health when stumbling upon it. "The Hunt for the Mad Muffalo" is also a great story in itself, instead of "The Mad Muffalo that stomped the poor lad opening a door".

Hypolite

A screenshot of the colony before the second raid.

Hypolite

And another one after the bloody battle.

XenoAcid

I don't think the mad animals would be too big of an issue (initially), if the auto-turrets would actually fire on them :p

Is that a design choice?
Do not fear the darkness, fear the things that live inside of it...

Tynan

So far it is. I'm considering how to approach that. The idea with the animals was to create a threat which isn't as grave as the pirates and is also different in kind. But if the turrets just murder every hostile-looking squirrel, you wouldn't even notice them.

I'm going to see how it feels once characters actually defend themselves and respond to danger automatically instead of totally ignoring it. Really, the colonist should hit the squirrel back.

Hypolite

Currently, my threat priority is as following :
- Fire-causing dry storms, for obvious reasons I won't repeat
- Mad animals, because they can chew through your colony members at a dreadful close range without you noticing or causing friendly fire and boomrat disasters.
- Raiders, whatever the number, because their arrival is noticed, their attack is noticed and turrets and colonists automatically fire on them. It's a clear and predictable threat, there's many ways to deal with them, and fending off raiders awards weapons and/or prisoners.

Tynan

Hypolite

Hypolite

Fourth Story

This is the story of Watts. Coming for a long ancestry of noble military officers, he naturally took in charge the small colony leadership. His wits and social abilities quickly made forget his attitude towards menial tasks that he would never do. Inspired by its military training, he conceived the colony as a fortress, giving as little chance to any hostile to get a shot at his fellow colonists.

He also took in charge the recruiting process, quickly turning raging raiders into useful workers to compensate his own disregard for manual tasks. The colony grew as fast as the hydroponic potato plants did, exchanging the freedom of slaves offered by passing slave traders for crops.

Excerpt from his journal :

"Practically speaking, a rock-dug colony is the best for defense, but it has a high energy overhead cost for all the lighting. This requires more generators and more batteries, negating the resource gain of not having to build walls. Also, since there's no wall to pass wires in, there's electrical conduits everywhere, making it very dangerous for small children and squirrels alike."

Tynan

That is awesome. I wish we had a better quality screenshot!

Also, I noticed a really worryingly large number of graves down there.

Tynan

Also, this is the kind of base that makes me want to make batteries really, really flammable and possibly explosive (with toxic chemical vapors).