Never knew about this event before...

Started by Limdood, January 27, 2017, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Played since A11 or A12.  I just saw something awesome and terrible for the first time ever today.

"Birthday!" event.
"Today is Red's Birthday, he has now reached a biological age of 52.
However, he has also gained the 'Bad Back' Health condition as a result of his advancing age"

Cool birthdays!
also "dammit!  Red was useful!"
Now he's just cooks pemmican and cleans...

LordMunchkin

Yeah, it sucks. I once started with a bunch of old pawns and had them all die within a year of old age.  ;D

Limdood

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Limdood on January 27, 2017, 08:44:41 PM
they can die of old age?!?!?!!!!

Pawns don't directly die of old age, but more from the avalanche of health issues that come with it.

PiggyBacon

At some point pawns will break down from health issues. Usually when they get to a point were they might die soon I capture them then sell them for money. Its not the best thing to do but hey 600+ silver beats a corpse.

O Negative

Old pawns do have a chance to drop dead of old age, last I checked. Maybe something's changed, but I kinda doubt it. It's not like it's something you're going to see very often anyways lmao

milon

Quote from: PiggyBacon on January 27, 2017, 09:32:44 PM
At some point pawns will break down from health issues. Usually when they get to a point were they might die soon I capture them then sell them for money. Its not the best thing to do but hey 600+ silver beats a corpse.

Depending on the mood of your colony, there are... more profitable ways to deal with an unwanted pawn. ;)

LordMunchkin

Quote from: O Negative on January 28, 2017, 06:59:00 AM
Old pawns do have a chance to drop dead of old age, last I checked. Maybe something's changed, but I kinda doubt it. It's not like it's something you're going to see very often anyways lmao

It happened to me once because I was checking health, skills, and traits and ignoring age. I didn't notice that all three of my starting colonists were in their 90s (however they didn't have any health issues so maybe that is why I didn't notice).  :'(

I feel like people shouldn't drop dead in this game just because they're old. Perhaps there should be a youth drug like luciferium that keeps oldies from developing health problems and dying of old age (or at least reduces the chances)?  :P

Ukas

I've had some great senior citizens. One of my best pawns ever joined when she was 79, she was third member in my colony. In her first combat she alone drove the enemy away, as she killed one raider and downed another, with a pistol! Four shots, and her shooting skill was at 6 or 7. Later I gave her a shotgun and with it she saved numerous husky puppies from being eaten by wolves or wargs. Developed an asthma and had a few heart attacks, and became frail at the age of 85. I let her cook lavish meals at her own sluggish paste, so I didn't have to micro the usage of food materials, this way she continued to keep the colony happy. She had a high social skill too, so she recruited 15 or so colonists.

Serenity

I remember a great 80+ year old with a bad back. She was a ridiculously good researcher and a master crafter. Sitting at a table all day her back didn't matter. But she was also a great shot and very useful in combat.

Ildac

Grab the Extended Prosthetics mod and get him a bionic spine!

Mikhail Reign

I had a 96 year old join. He quickly became the best shot in the colony. When one of his eyes was shot out, he got a bionic. Since then he has driven away raids single handedly. It wasn't until he turned 98 that he got a Bad Back. While he doesn't lead the gunline anymore, he is still one of the best pawns I've gotten.

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: milon on January 28, 2017, 08:01:21 PM
Quote from: PiggyBacon on January 27, 2017, 09:32:44 PM

Depending on the mood of your colony, there are... more profitable ways to deal with an unwanted pawn. ;)

If it's a good pawn, there's always the devil's bargain...

Limdood

i make regular use of Luciferium on my best pawns...I know it can remove scars, can it remove bad back?