Caves (we dwarf now)

Started by Goldenpotatoes, January 27, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenpotatoes

A16 implemented, among a number of features, one of the most interesting ones being that you can have multiple instances of maps running at once. This opens up a number of interesting ideas, one of them being-

Z - L E V E L S

Well, not exactly true z-levels, but something that is pretty close to the real thing!

Implement a feature where after unlocking deep-drilling, you're capable of creating some sort of passage to a 'cave-world' section of the map, which would essentially be a separate map instance, like a secondary colony. Cave-world generates occasional open areas with sparse plant life and lesser insect hives dotting the area to act as a threat.

Minerals can generate as their 'raw' variant along with the current 'compressed' type we have. Raw requires a smelter to convert them into a usable variant but in exchange they give more per mined chunk. Rocks down here are more hardy and therefore more difficult to actually mine, so expanding will be difficult.

Insect events are much more common due to the fact you've decided to dig to them instead of them digging to you. This also helps average out the threats as you probably wouldn't see that many raiders down in the underworld caves.

Pros:

• raw minerals to get more out of mining
  • mostly raider-free
  • place to retreat to from toxic fallout/temperature waves/angry raiders/colony collapse

Cons:

• denser rock harder to mine through, not just mountain base 2.0
  • full of angry bugs
  • little-to-no usable soil, hydroponics essentially required for crops
  • solars/turbines don't work so well underground
  • colonists will probably get eaten by a grue

dwarfworld 2017

Jstank

+1 My Dwarfy sense is tingling!

I would think to add a whole other class of nasty cave dwelling creatures, and also create some very rare and valuable resources to find.

Hidden treasure chests with awesome goodies
Dense Brick Walls would be made from the dense rock. Dense brick walls are immune to LAVA.
Rare pockets of Lucefierite, a substance that when mixed with other drugs makes luciferium
Higher occurrence of gold, jade, silver
Hydroponics capable of growing insect jelly
Geo Thermal Vents scattered throughout that could create very dangerous hot pockets that can cook colonists if the pocket is opened.
Warnings for "Warm Stone"
Rare Access shafts that when found and developed can lead to access to a deeper map.
4 maps down LAVA and LAVA MONSTERS! Better resources
Forgotten beast like creatures that breath lava of course!
5 maps down MOSTLY LAVA AND A LOT OF LUCIFRERITE!

The lava can be just a version of fire which can spread and melt brick walls not made of dense rock.

MODDERS UNITE!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux