Partial Mining!

Started by tmo97, January 29, 2017, 02:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmo97

How about changing the mining system up so that you get a certain amount of ore depending on how much you've mined of the block?

Instead of making tinted rock explode into steel at hitting 0hp. Say, spit out 1/8th of the potential of ore in the block for every 12,5% you've mined of it, next to the block or directly into the miner's inventory.

Get that extra 5 steel you need, without waiting 3 hours for your sloppy miner to break apart over 1000kg of rock, so you can cover up the fact that you're bad at colony planning!  ::)

Lalka

I dont see any problem with the mining.

StoneWolf

I am not so sure that it would be a good idea. Our haulers would most likely end up going back and forward carrying 5-10 pieces of steel as they do, at least for me, when someone is cooking (the hauler hauls one meal into the freezer and 10 pieces of food back into the kitchen over and over again, noy very efficient).

tmo97

Quote from: StoneWolf on January 30, 2017, 01:09:24 AM
I am not so sure that it would be a good idea. Our haulers would most likely end up going back and forward carrying 5-10 pieces of steel as they do, at least for me, when someone is cooking (the hauler hauls one meal into the freezer and 10 pieces of food back into the kitchen over and over again, noy very efficient).

That indicates a problem with hauling AI, not the suggestion I made.

If I prioritize plant cutting, they will leave the wood outside.
If I prioritize hauling, they will cut 1 tree, then haul wood, and then cut another and repeat.

Either way the AI for hauling is counter-intuitive.