[A16] 0% flammable items take damage when person holding it is burned.

Started by Riccars, January 29, 2017, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riccars

What the circumstances were.
Trade caravan was indoors in a very hot room (over 400+ Fahrenheit),
They were holding things such as marble statues that have 0% flammability.

What happened.
When they took damage from the extreme heat things in their possession became damaged

What you expected to happen.
Anything with 0% flammability to suffer zero damage when the person is burned

Steps we can follow to make the bug appear on our machine.
1. Put people holding 0% flammability items in room (caravan is easiest to setup)
2. have room with extreme temperatues
3. Check 0% flammability items for damage as the beholders take burn damage.

Only thing I could justify this as not a bug is maybe they drop the thing and thats where the damage really comes from.

nccvoyager

Flammability is a measure as to how easily something catches fire, and not whether or not something is damaged by fire.

In reality, a marble statue will be damaged by high temperature and fire, by way of external charring, cracking due to expansion during heating, and cracking due to contraction during cooling afterwards.

While the statue does not fuel the fire, it can and will still be damaged by the fire.

Jimyoda

Don't confuse RimWorld with reality.
In the game, flammability does determine whether something is damaged by fire. Items with 0% flammability never catch fire are immune to fire damage even if fire is in its cell. So, no, that statue should not be damaged by fire.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

ison

Not sure if it's a bug, for example fire explosions damage things that are not flammable. I think Tynan should decide.

Jimyoda

I chose not to mention fire explosions, but now that it's been brought up... I consider an explosion with fire to be just that, having two parts, an explosion... and fire. It's the explosion causing the damage, not the fire. But that's moving away from the main point, which is if something has 0% flammability then it is immune to fire (that's read 'fire', not fiery explosions). If something, like granite blocks, has 0% flammability, yet it takes damage from fire while a pawn is holding it, then that's certainly a bug.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Tynan

At first I was with nccvoyager on this, but considering the inconsistencies Jimyoda points out, I think it would be better for gameplay if items in inventory took fire damage the same way they would if they were on the ground. In this case, it means that non-flammable items shouldn't take 'passive' fire damage. They can still take flame explosion fire damage.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

nccvoyager

I kind of forgot the whole part where the issue occurs only when a pawn is holding the item(s), and that fire itself doesn't damage the item(s) in question otherwise.

In light of being reminded of this inconsistency, I apologize, as I do appear to have been somewhat terse in my earlier post.

Additionally, thank you Jimyoda for pointing out that the wider scope of this behaviour is inconsistent with other behaviour seen regarding fire and flammability in the current iteration of RimWorld.