Unroofed area not letting heat out.

Started by BoogieMan, January 29, 2017, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

I have a mod that allows you to drill and create geothermal vents. I have some under a mountain, and a venting tunnel that leads to an outside area for ventilation, which has walls built around it to help keep invaders out. There are many unroofed sections that can let in rain, but the heat isn't escaping and I have no idea why. I can see the rainfall, and it says it's unroofed. I also covered the entire area in remove roof just to be sure.

This same method works fine for venting my indoor coolers, and my external normal geothermal vents where I have a wall built around them.

Any advice?

EDIT: Shortening the path to the outdoor are *seems* to have helped somewhat.

Zhentar

25% of the tiles in a room need to be roofless before the air temperature is fixed to the outdoor temperature.

mrm

I have the opposite problem. I walled and roofed up geothermal generator in a way so it should build up some extreme temperatures. But it doesn't. Internal temp = external.  No mods.

Thyme

Temperature depends on the room size (more walls and roofs -> more area to leak heat). The temperature simulation is quite neat. I use a geyser to keep my Boomrats from freezing in -70°C without active heating.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Catastrophy

Quote from: mrm on January 30, 2017, 02:09:50 AM
I have the opposite problem. I walled and roofed up geothermal generator in a way so it should build up some extreme temperatures. But it doesn't. Internal temp = external.  No mods.

Have you tried leaving an empty tile between wall and generator somewhere? So the hotness can actually "go somewhere"?

hwfanatic

In this particular case I suspect you need some space between the generator and walls. The generator is marked as 100% fill, so it is considered air-tight for ventilation purposes (blocks any adjacent tiles).

Can pawns reach all the tiles they need to construct the roof? Enable the roof overlay (bottom-right corner, house icon) and see for yourself. They need access. Theory.

Calahan

@ BoogieMan & mrm - Screenshots are always useful for these sort of issues, as then those trying to help you have a far better idea of what your actual setup is, as opposed to trying to work it out (or guess) from text alone.

TheMeInTeam

Just geothermal surrounded by walls + roof will go > 100C constantly under normal conditions.  If that isn't what you're seeing, something is amiss one way or another.  It has no problems heating up while "air tight" and while I haven't tried it, I wouldn't be surprised to see that set wood on fire.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Zhentar on January 30, 2017, 01:43:50 AM
25% of the tiles in a room need to be roofless before the air temperature is fixed to the outdoor temperature.
So maybe he needs to just expand the outdoors section?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

mrm

Quote from: Catastrophy on January 30, 2017, 06:39:18 AM
Have you tried leaving an empty tile between wall and generator somewhere? So the hotness can actually "go somewhere"?
Yep, this explain a lot. Very small area will give very short temperature raise, barely noticeable. Larger area can build up heat and keep it until the next steam come out, but the temperature is lower.

I was trying to make a raider trap, for those who tries to damage my generator. Generator double walled with long corridor between walls. First door open, long corridor around generator, second door closet. Theory is, raider will attack second door when my pawn lock the first. When he destroys it, all the heat will cause heatstroke before he escape trough wall. But it doesn't work :)