Extreme Desert Challenge

Started by XeoNovaDan, January 30, 2017, 01:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

You know, this challenge would be fascinating if Rimworld had proper sunburn and sun modelling. Deserts are very hot during day, but chilling at night. You could survive by opening an ancient danger room, killing the guards, kicking some poor fellows out of cryosleep caskets and staying there until night.

Hans Lemurson

Shade should actually made a difference for your personal heat level, not just ambient air temp.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

eadras

15th of spring, 5501.  The previous hottest temp we'd seen was 125C.  That's no laughing matter, but our base was designed to mitigate it and keep us alive.  Today the temperature broke the record by 9am, and by noon it was 130C.  At 4pm it hit 135C, and we were in desperation, as our base heated up over 60C.  I decided we had to wall off half of our living area, trapping the cold air from the 13 coolers in half the space.  It worked, but then we had a mech raid.  The mechs themselves are dangerous enough, but the real enemy is the heat we have to fight them in.  The heat and the firefighting duties pushed us all to the brink of collapse, but we staggered back into our 28C living space and fell into an exhausted sleep.  At least for today, we survived.  Our chances of making it off this planet are looking more and more grim, however.  Without any trade ships passing by, we have no way to acquire uranium or plasteel to construct a ship.  We'll just have to take it a day at a time and... hope.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Hans Lemurson

I was just dabbling at this challenge again, and I got a pretty reasonable start, but 1 year in I got a Solar Flare in the middle of a Centipede-raid while it was 130C outside.  Turns out the Centipedes weren't necessary; everybody died of heatstroke.

Maybe if I hadn't been using the "Nerf the Overpowered Wool" mod, things would have gone more easily...

I think Zhentar's mountain approach may be the way to go.  Mountains can give you some mighty good insulation.

XeoNovaDan

Yeah, this is balanced around vanilla schnazzers
You need passive coolers for solar flares :P

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on April 21, 2017, 10:12:56 AM
Yeah, this is balanced around vanilla schnazzers
You need passive coolers for solar flares :P
Passive coolers!  Why didn't I think of that?  How big a room can they provide a 50 degree delta-T for?

eadras

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 21, 2017, 03:20:36 AM
I was just dabbling at this challenge again, and I got a pretty reasonable start, but 1 year in I got a Solar Flare in the middle of a Centipede-raid while it was 130C outside.  Turns out the Centipedes weren't necessary; everybody died of heatstroke.

Maybe if I hadn't been using the "Nerf the Overpowered Wool" mod, things would have gone more easily...

I think Zhentar's mountain approach may be the way to go.  Mountains can give you some mighty good insulation.

That's what eventually killed my little colony, about 2 years in.  5 centipedes, all with inferno cannons.  There's no way to kite them when it's 125C outside.  The lack of uranium on the map, and lack of bulk goods traders, was the real problem, though.  Their demise was only a matter of time since there was no way to complete the ship.

The wool dusters certainly are overpowered, but it's very difficult to acquire any wool in this scenario, unless you got lucky with bulk goods trade ships.  I think I managed to make 2 dusters from drop pod wool.

Hans Lemurson

I should just pretend "Wool" is a name for a magical space-age super-insulating material.