[A16] Scenario Editor:'Permanent Map Conditions' only apply to the starting tile

Started by RustyTheRed, January 30, 2017, 06:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyTheRed

I am aware that this isn't necessarily a bug, but more likely an oversight, and perhaps even more likely an oversight of which you're aware. As such, I'm not going to format this like a bug report as that would be nonsensical. The issues:

- Permanent Map Conditions only apply to the starting tile. Scenarios in which a permanent map condition is paramount are rendered dysfunctional as a colony can simply relocate to an adjacent tile to circumvent the challenge. Temporary maps and NPC bases are also exempt, breaking immersion.

- Reoccurring incidents applied under the 'create incident' option do not occur in temporary maps or NPC bases. They do however persist if you relocate your colony. In scenarios which apply reoccurring incidents (e.g. frequent flash storms, scheduled raids), entering maps other than your colony is immersion breaking and potentially less challenging.

To address these issues, when adding permanent map conditions and incidents, there could be additional options dictating their locality, such as: Colony Only, Regional, Global and Everywhere Except Colony.

Additionally, I feel scenario editor could benefit from a 'Disallow Research' option. This could make for some puzzling scenarios which necessitate alternate play styles.

Thanks for your time and all the hard work,
Rusty

Edit: Spelling

nccvoyager

Global, colony, and "all not colony" make sense to me.
But, what would "regional" be?
A limited area around the starting colony location?
Limited to a specific biome set?

I would also suggest having the current behaviour as an option, having only the starting world tile be subject to these permanent conditions.

RustyTheRed

Perhaps 'Regional' could depend on the incident in question? For example, a volcanic winter effects a huge area, toxic fallout a smaller area, and flash storm smaller again??

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog